World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing the other night and caught a few but there was something stuck to most of the ones we pulled out. Not sure what they where, the where red in colour, a little bit smaller than a 5p peice and they where stuck just under the scales of the fish. At first we thought it was bits on the lug and rag we where using, but we had to really pull at it to take it off.
Can someone tell me what you think they are and should they be taken off the fish before the fish is returned.
Thanks.
Anya

·
Registered
200 Posts
It will be some sort of parasite. Cod especially seem to attract lots of this sort of thing. I haven't seen anything that matches your description, but a few years ago a high percentage of the cod we caught had nasty scabs on them, could be the same thing.

One thing you will quite often see is lamphreys (eel like fish a bit like leeches) attached to other fish. It can cause quite a problem at weighings in competitions deciding if the lamphrey weight sould be allowed, I've heared good arguments on both sides.

Osprey

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
i had the pleasure of catching a whiting with a big ole lamprey attached to it..

Evil thing it was..

Also late in winter,(febuary/march),i was catching whiting with these white scabs around the edge of its eyes...looked nasty..

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The lamprey is an excellent bait for Pike, due to the blood content. Does anyone use it for bait for any sea fish?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Thanks Lewisteh,
It's been a long day. I should have known to search the site first. :eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it couldn't just be plain sea lice would it? I have a mark come up on my hand where I took it off the fish and placed it on my hand to show my husband. It has lumped up, red in colour and is extremly itching. I have heard that sea lice can do that.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Just had a quick look at 'sea lice' on google - Masses!!!
http://www.umaine.edu/livestock/Publications/sea_lice_bullets.htm
seemed to be a description itemising species and mentioned some as being 'light brown' in colour. Could this be the 'red' you mentioned. Certainly this link suggests that lots of fish species are parasitised.

When i put sealice (one word) in then it came up as a possible rash occasioned by small flatworms in the sea and contracted by swimmers (but caused by different critters - quite put me off swimming in Florida waters!!!!!!!!!!!!!), but perhaps the ones you found can cause a rash also!

·
Registered
423 Posts
can i just say that in china because they eat alot of sushi ,they have a high number of ringworm cases,just in case you are going to eat raw fish make sure you freeze it first as it will kill all the parasites in the flesh,most of the sushi you get over here is frozen first,even through im sure you wouldnt eat anything raw from our waters

1 - 9 of 9 Posts