World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
44,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested in hearing what has been the strangest bait used to catch sea fish. I will start things off with the time I was on holiday in Mousehole in Cornwall. I got up early first morning only to realise that I had no bait. Quick look in the fridge produced bacon as the only option. Using a spinning rod with a couple of shot on the line and a small piece of bacon produced a small Pollack. Amyone else had success with strange bait?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i too have caught on bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had a double shot of weever fish.

i had a go at crabing as well as fishing, but when the bait ran out that was all i had left, and hey a double shot of weever fish!!!!!!!!!!

also garden worms-nothing too strange there.

shrimp/prawn- have caught codling- strange or just underestimated?

whiting- using a whole small one caught a dog fish once.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
had Cod on liver, was working on the rigs years ago, asked the cook in galley if he had any thing I could use..liver was the only thing he had handy, it worked but I wouldnt want to try it again :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Picking up Sticky's point, apart from the opportunist, I suppose if there is a regular supply of something edible, and the fish taste it and like it, then it will be good as bait.

Fred

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i once caught a 1lb 3oz whiting off chesil on a strip of squid that i soaked in soy sauce for 30 mins! fishing was very slow so i gave it a go, the soy sauce was from a pot noodle that i had!........... strange

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Caught several Coalfish on a *** end that was used like a lure.

Also, met a guy who was setting up his gear as I was packing up, he was going to use raw chicken. Don't know how he got on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I used to go fishing off piers - I once caught coalies on pasta in tomato sauce, what was left over from my lunch!! I ran out of bait but didn't want to go home yet. Must have caught 5 or 6 of the wee dafties.

Cheers,

Shad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.