World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be interested in hearing what has been the strangest bait used to catch sea fish. I will start things off with the time I was on holiday in Mousehole in Cornwall. I got up early first morning only to realise that I had no bait. Quick look in the fridge produced bacon as the only option. Using a spinning rod with a couple of shot on the line and a small piece of bacon produced a small Pollack. Amyone else had success with strange bait?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i too have caught on bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i had a double shot of weever fish.

i had a go at crabing as well as fishing, but when the bait ran out that was all i had left, and hey a double shot of weever fish!!!!!!!!!!

also garden worms-nothing too strange there.

shrimp/prawn- have caught codling- strange or just underestimated?

whiting- using a whole small one caught a dog fish once.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
6 1/2 lb Bass on kipper-1st seafish I ever caught and still my largest bass

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
had Cod on liver, was working on the rigs years ago, asked the cook in galley if he had any thing I could use..liver was the only thing he had handy, it worked but I wouldnt want to try it again :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bass are caught on bacon regularly around marinas. They like to hang around for the scraps thrown overboard. Also heard they take chicken.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Picking up Sticky's point, apart from the opportunist, I suppose if there is a regular supply of something edible, and the fish taste it and like it, then it will be good as bait.

Fred

·
Registered
7 Posts
In oz, we use ox heart to catch whiting, also prawn is very good, especially with shells on (every garage by the ocean sells bait here). Blue sardines catch a lot of predators.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i once caught a 1lb 3oz whiting off chesil on a strip of squid that i soaked in soy sauce for 30 mins! fishing was very slow so i gave it a go, the soy sauce was from a pot noodle that i had!........... strange

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got fed up catching nothing but whiting this winter so tried a very large whiting fillet on a pennel, it only succeded in catching bigger whiting

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Caught several Coalfish on a fag end that was used like a lure.

Also, met a guy who was setting up his gear as I was packing up, he was going to use raw chicken. Don't know how he got on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
not surprised about the fag butt. there's a fly thats used on these shores called fag ash lil, worked on the surface like a popper.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I used to go fishing off piers - I once caught coalies on pasta in tomato sauce, what was left over from my lunch!! I ran out of bait but didn't want to go home yet. Must have caught 5 or 6 of the wee dafties.

Cheers,

Shad.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Heard of a cod caught from the boat on a bit of salami from a sandwich.

My friends grandfather used to outfish eveyone for mackerel on the pier using an orange nylon handline and silver paper from his fag packets.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Evening all
I remember reading in sea angler years ago that there was a shortage of lug one year in the liverpool area so they used garden snails and liver to target codling with success. Never tried either but did try bacon with no result. Post if snails have produced for you

V

·
0 Posts
caught a 6lb smut on the ex wife's knicker's(must have been odour de crab!) :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts