World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Can someone give me some help please on streamlining makeral fillets for tope shore fishing?

Thanks alot

·
The Bush Kangaroo
2,807 Posts
boat or shore if it is the shore simple answer is the dvice
u can get them n the wsf shop

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
He does state for the shore skip lol :p

Apart from skippys idea, you could try filleting a mackeral, then cut down the fillet along the macki's different colourations - thread one slither of fillet onto hook and elasticate the other macki slither to it ;)

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
If targetting tope then sending out maccy could bring you huss and dog problems... must say I don't know if that's an issue in your area.

You can get round that by using flatties... dab, flounder!

I wouldn't be so daft as to suggest making them into an airplane shape and throwing them out. :bye2:

Sorry if this doesn't help.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
There is a device they use for shark fishing i believe - its sort of a twisted wire boom. Wire is twisted like a corskscrew then into a straight boom.

You throw your lead out to get the distance - bait up this boom, slip it over your line and paraglide it into the waves.

The screw of the twists ensures that the bait only goes down the line and not back up with the wave action.

Got to admit ive never tried one - and have only seen them sold in one place (thought it was spottydog but can't find em there now).

I'm dieing to give them a go when time allows - and if i can find em cheap somewhere.

Does anyone know what they are called and where they can be bought - and has anyone ever tried em?

Failing that the first suggestion seems to be the best - fillet, hook through from the tail end to the head end, bait cotton, done!

Also was a post i think in the bait discussion area about how to bait up with a dab which described getting a more streamlined bait - hitting the search should do the trick - was about a month ago.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I've been using Dvices this year for firing mackerel baits out for tope, and am delighted with them. Having said that, there are plenty being caught at close range so distance isn't that much of an issue (still nice to have the option though)

One of the big benefits i've found with them is improved bait presentation because there is no need to wrap everthing in elastic. The bait reaches the sea bed exactly as it was when you cast it out, and the hook point is perfectly exposed.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
There is a device they use for shark fishing i believe - its sort of a twisted wire boom. Wire is twisted like a corskscrew then into a straight boom.

You throw your lead out to get the distance - bait up this boom, slip it over your line and paraglide it into the waves.

The screw of the twists ensures that the bait only goes down the line and not back up with the wave action.

Got to admit ive never tried one - and have only seen them sold in one place (thought it was spottydog but can't find em there now).

I'm dieing to give them a go when time allows - and if i can find em cheap somewhere.

Does anyone know what they are called and where they can be bought - and has anyone ever tried em?

Failing that the first suggestion seems to be the best - fillet, hook through from the tail end to the head end, bait cotton, done!

Also was a post i think in the bait discussion area about how to bait up with a dab which described getting a more streamlined bait - hitting the search should do the trick - was about a month ago.

is this what you mean?..live bait sliders..look interesting

http://www.breakaway-tackle.com/product_info.php?products_id=714

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Nope, the whole mackerel dvice is a way off yet. But the livebait sliders are the dogs nobblies. I first saw them used in Namibia in 2004, where just by working the line the South African guys I saw (they were fishing a competition) got whole frozen mackerel a goof 70 yards plus. But they are non-return, and in theory a whole live mackerel would eventually swim itself out to where the lead is anchored. I have got them out in anger three times so far this year, as the seas here havent cleared enough for any length of time to have a proper go, and they have worked superbly (bass) in getting the bait out without too much stress. No bass mind........ :(

G

·
Nope, the whole mackerel dvice is a way off yet. But the livebait sliders are the dogs nobblies. I first saw them used in Namibia in 2004, where just by working the line the South African guys I saw (they were fishing a competition) got whole frozen mackerel a goof 70 yards plus. But they are non-return, and in theory a whole live mackerel would eventually swim itself out to where the lead is anchored. I have got them out in anger three times so far this year, as the seas here havent cleared enough for any length of time to have a proper go, and they have worked superbly (bass) in getting the bait out without too much stress. No bass mind........ :(
My God! You are still alive.:happy:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Rob are you insinuating there is something better than the D-vice ??
please expand this statement as i have consigned the sliced bread to the bin ( Bread bin LOL ).

PS my local tackle shop is interested in stocking the D-vice what is the best way to go about it mate.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Hi all,

Can someone give me some help please on streamlining makeral fillets for tope shore fishing?

Thanks alot
If you use 1/2 a fillet of mackerel you will end up with a thinner bait. If you then lash it to the hook and the trace over the full length with elastic and clip it down you should be able to hit fairly big distances. Alternatively you could use one of those special aerodynamic mackerel - sandeels which as far as I am aware are the main bait for Isle of Man tope.

There was an article about tope fishing in the Isle of Man with sandeel by Alan Yates in the Ammo baits catalogue at one time.

I've personally caught tope from the shore on frozen mackerel, sandeel and launce supplied by Ammo. I also landed one for Mike Thrussell (senior) he had hooked from the shore on sandeel.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Rob are you insinuating there is something better than the D-vice ??
please expand this statement as i have consigned the sliced bread to the bin ( Bread bin LOL ).

PS my local tackle shop is interested in stocking the D-vice what is the best way to go about it mate.
Sorry George, lost the thread..... Of course there is nothing better than the DVice, but it wont do a huge bait like a whole mackkie. But the livebait sliders can help get a whole mackerel further than you could lob one. And if you got livebait, they will swim themselves out to the end of the line. I think breakaway have started doing them now, and I'm pretty sure Julian Shambrook does them on his site also.

Re Tackle shop. Please pm me with the name and phone number, and I will give them a call happily. And thanks for looking out for us!!

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
A mackerel is very hydrodynamic - they swim fast. I would have thought that would make them pretty aerodynamic too.
Try using a whole, small joey mackerel, mount the fish on pennel rigged hooks with the head pointing down, plenty of elastic etc.

I couldnt agree more, try slashing the sides and stabbing the head a few times to let out more scent, sorry if it reads rather grusome :eek:

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
I couldnt agree more, try slashing the sides and stabbing the head a few times to let out more scent, sorry if it reads rather grusome :eek:
Trouble is on the South coast tope marks, you need to get a bait eighty plus yards in most situations, and hold in a fair tide. As much as a whole mackerel properly rigged could be forced out sixty yards freeline, I dont think it would reach the fish or hold for long enough. The reality of the shore fishing for tope down here is that you are fishing for odd stragglers. Lots of anchoring baits and watching motionless rod tips, hoping a fish will come up the scent trail. Lots of blanks (well, thats my experience......!!)

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Trouble is on the South coast tope marks, you need to get a bait eighty plus yards in most situations, and hold in a fair tide. As much as a whole mackerel properly rigged could be forced out sixty yards freeline, I dont think it would reach the fish or hold for long enough. The reality of the shore fishing for tope down here is that you are fishing for odd stragglers. Lots of anchoring baits and watching motionless rod tips, hoping a fish will come up the scent trail. Lots of blanks (well, thats my experience......!!)

I see, i am fortunate as the mark i fish you dont need to cast far 40 yards, i use a fresh tail end....dont know how long this mark will still be there though :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts