World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright everyone ! Ive been told its best not to strike when using braid , is this when fishing generally or for certain fish . I have always struck before as it is instinct what are your opionions , cheers .

S

·
0 Posts
hi gee

i always use braid, only because thats whats on my reel personally i dont tend to strike as ive missed a few due to instant response on the braid(or mabey im useless) :)
i tend to wind down towards the water then lift more than strike, seems to work but im no expert ..... :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hiya Gee Tee
With mono there is a certain percentage of stretch within the line and so when striking you have to allow for this when setting the hook.
With braid there is little or no stretch so normally all you would do is just lift gently into the fish. I find that to strike like you would with mono tends to pull the hook. It is generally the same with all species.

Take care with braid it is all most impossible to untangle ( especially bobbing around on a boat) and can play havoc with rod eyes if they are not appropriately lined.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts