World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, looking for abit of advice. I have an old Zippy which i want to rebuild. Problem is i need to start fresh and want to strip the old varnish from the blank and make it a pure blank ready for a full rebuild. The question and advice i want is, how do i do this?
Do i use acetone? Blunt knife along the blank? Fine grit sand paper?

Once stripped what do i do before i use bondaseal? Do i apply it direct to the blank or can i paint it then apply bondaseal?
Any advice appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
For stripping old paint or coatings off blanks I use the back of a stanley blade, basically scrapeing it off gently. Others will suggest the sharp side held very square to the blank, though I sometimes find this can cause some damage. Each to their own.

Then very fine sand papers to clean off any reisdue, then a thorough meths clean before further treatments. There is a sticky above for Bondseal.

Edit

Go fast, SLOWLY!! This is not a 5 minute job.

Reactions: Bacon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, its my first time attempt at this and i am nervous at using sharp instruments and scrapping the blank. Can i not use acetone or cellulose to remove the old varnish from the blank (not eye whipping varnish but on the actual blank). I am.wanting a total stripdown back to a plain blank

Thanks

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
Thank you, its my first time attempt at this and i am nervous at using sharp instruments and scrapping the blank. Can i not use acetone or cellulose to remove the old varnish from the blank (not eye whipping varnish but on the actual blank). I am.wanting a total stripdown back to a plain blank

Thanks
There is no easy fix, acetone or thinners will fail to strip most coatings. It needs a bit of hard work. As said above, each to their own, I`ve always used a sharp blade (stanley) held vertical to the blank but slightly leaning in the direction of pull, have never, ever damaged a blank doing it. Top rod builder Phil Hyde also mentioned on here a few years back to keep changing to fresh, sharp blades, fully agree. Once most is stripped off then you can get in with sandpaper, I use 400 grade to start then work up to 1000 gauge. Final clean is cllulose thinners. It`s slow and messy but few options.

Once stripped it depends on the blank, many will go black simply with a coat of bonda seal. If you are going to spray paint it black don`t put bonda seal over it will simply strip your paint. Use K2 paint with activator or similar but no BS over the paint

·
Registered
745 Posts
...what they said. Take your time and you’ll be surprise how well the blank will come up.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
back of a stanley blade for me, the big winner here is TAKE YOUR TIME dont rush!! it really wont take that long ,3hrs ? then wipe it all dust off , catch it in the light so you can see if youve missed any , repeat then light rub with 400 , then 800,then v light grade wire wool. just dont go mad at ANY point and work toward the tip rather than away from it .
works for me anyway

·
Registered
537 Posts
What model zziplex is the rod is it a linished blank (smooth) or a unground blank if you intend to have the blank coloured for a first timer I would go down the root of a 2k paint as long as you have somewhere safe and warm dust free to spray it rather than the colour and bonda root you could also add pigment paste to the bonda to give the blank the desired colour either opaque or translucent

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a rare Zziplex Hustler, a friend rebuilt it and its rung wrong. Just wanting to give it a new revamp and life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts