World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All.
I've just bought the toddler toilet step (actually and Adiss one, but the same as the Ikea).
Any tips on how to go about the transformation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'm making one too, the plan is to drill some holes to start with and use cable ties to act as belt loops. Originally I was planning to use a knife and join the 2 drilled holes and enable the threading of a belt completely through. The holes will stop the cut elongating.

But I'll try the holes first.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi. Mine looked similar to the one in the video. I used large sized mastic cartridge nozzles with some stainless bolts that matched the nozzle thread. Just push the bolts up from underneath, fill the nozzles with clear sealant and screw them on until the nozzle base is flush with the bottom of the basket. I used the basket for two seasons and the nozzles stayed in place and all worked well.

The strap was just a bungee cord attached via a couple of drilled holes. I also cut two u-shapes, lined with pipe clips, to make a rod holder like the Orvis version. I think the bits and pieces ended up costing as much as the stool, but it all worked really well, although it was a little heavy with the bolts.

Guy

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
ive seen a lot use a kitchen plastic bowl
just cut two holes in it
put a belt through it job done
cheap and cheerful
but dont buy pink pmsfl

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Here is one I made a couple of years ago. Its had two coats of car sealer, first was red, and second grey. for the spikes I push up sealant gun nozzles that you can pick up spares of at any DIY shop. They fit very snugly, so dont drop out. Having something you can remove without any hassle means the basket can go in a suitcase and you can pack your stuff around it should you be travelling.

Attachments

Reactions: lipslicker

·
Registered
253 Posts
Buy once, buy the best. My orvis one was bought more than 20 years ago, good as new today

Inserting holes is a no no. Lets water out for sure, but also lets it in!. If water has got in just pull the outer rim towards you and the water exits from the belt channels.

Home made jobbies, cheap, cheerful and if used a lot (as I do past and present) will decay or let you down.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Buy once, buy the best. My orvis one was bought more than 20 years ago, good as new today

Inserting holes is a no no. Lets water out for sure, but also lets it in!. If water has got in just pull the outer rim towards you and the water exits from the belt channels.

Home made jobbies, cheap, cheerful and if used a lot (as I do past and present) will decay or let you down.
A plastic Ikea foot stool will not degrade, accept maybe a bit of colour fade, at all in 20 years. I am sure the Orvis is great, but at near £90 you could make 30 ikea versions...

·
Registered
253 Posts
A plastic Ikea foot stool will not degrade, accept maybe a bit of colour fade, at all in 20 years. I am sure the Orvis is great, but at near £90 you could make 30 ikea versions...
Thats true, perhaps I used the wrong phrase. Should have said become brittle, crack etc. I did succumb to a homemade ikea jobbie as a spare some years ago. Didnt last a season before it did the latter. Indioentally in case it helps, you can block the four holes on the ikea footstool by getting electricians blanking grommets, fits perfectly and no water inwards.

I actually paid £38 for my orvis and picked up a spare on fleabay for £25 (sorry gave it away as never needed)

·
Registered
8 Posts
May I just say thank you to AlderneyBassman for this topic. I'm not made of money but was just about to buy a stripping basket for salt water and this has saved me money which I can now spend on fly tying materials.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts