World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Years ago I visited Strumble Head and despite it looking very promising, lost gear every cast!

Thinking about a return visit and was wondering if anyone could direct me to a good spot on the headland, for wrasse/pollack on the float/spinner and bottom-fishing for whatever might be lurking below. Any chance of casting onto sand from there, or is it all 100% graunch???

Thanks - John

·
Registered
544 Posts
John You must realise that pollack and wrass live in rough ground, if you want to catch them you have to cast into it.To minimise tackle losses try a rotten bottom rig. Or try foat fishing and set your depth just above that of the bottom . I have fished there and caght good numbers of wrasse and pollack by float fishing also if you can clar the rough ground you will pick up good bull huss.

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mate!

That's what I was wondering really - are there any areas on the headland where a reasonable cast will clear the rough?

When I kept losing gear last time it was on the retrive, as if there was some kind of grabby area of rock on the way up. Tried moving a couple of times but same thing. Think we were just off the lighthouse, and remember the foghorn going and deafening us!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
544 Posts
last time I fished there was 10 years ago we fished down below the bird observatory.As far as I remember it was ok there not very comfortable fishing though.We fished an all night comp got scared sh***less about 5 in the morning when we came back up the cliff and there were about 20-30 bird watchers in the observatory. As I remember there were a few good sized conger weighed in along with wrasse, rockling, pollack, and bullhuss.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Lo all,
don't know if this is relevant, but this sounds like just the kind of mark I fished most of my life at home in Ireland. We used to get eels from the river banks, put them in a bottle and head off fishing the rocks. 1 or 2 ounce sinker then a foot or two of line then the eel threaded on to the hook. Any old spinning rod and reel, cast out and take in the fish!!! Usually pollack ( or as we called them "laithe") or coalfish ("glasheen") but we would get the odd sea trout. Tho it might sound like nostalgia I know for a fact from going back often, that it still works! Just a thought, tight lines all,
Penn

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again!

Will revisit Strumble sometime soon. In the meantime am planning an expedition to the rocky N side of the Lleyn Peninsula this week. Could do with some variety in my (dog)fishing!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
You can't fish of the lighthouse/island bit any more but there are marks around the birwatching place. It's just up the road from me but I've never fished there. Pretty certain that there will be some clean ground around but it may be at long range. Anyway part of the joy of marks like this is that the fish usually are at short range right in the horrible rough. Let me know when you're coming down and I'll join you oif I can.

Rhod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts