World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tackle shop in Woodbridge has had a notice on the door for a little while now, anyone know if they are going to open again?

Shame if they are closing, always great bait from there on the way to Shingle St!

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Tackle shop in Woodbridge has had a notice on the door for a little while now, anyone know if they are going to open again?

Shame if they are closing, always great bait from there on the way to Shingle St!
Funny u should say that, as tried to ring em earlier to see if they had any squid and no reply, then a recorded msg saying sorry this mailbox is full:ugh2:

·
Registered
741 Posts
As a Woodbridge resident i’m very sad to see it’s demise; by all accounts the shop and stock has been sold but it won’t be re-opening as a tackle shop :(

Breakaway are selling limited frozen baits down at their lakes in Melton, but only on an ad-hoc basis.

I agree that Markhams do excellent bait and Gary is an extremely knowledgeable and experienced local angler. I’ve started using them again recently and have nothing but good things to say.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
As a Woodbridge resident i’m very sad to see it’s demise; by all accounts the shop and stock has been sold but it won’t be re-opening as a tackle shop :(

Breakaway are selling limited frozen baits down at their lakes in Melton, but only on an ad-hoc basis.

I agree that Markhams do excellent bait and Gary is an extremely knowledgeable and experienced local angler. I’ve started using them again recently and have nothing but good things to say.
Such a shame it's only half a mile from me:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Unfortunately local tackle shops cannot compete with the internet these days. Bigger shops like Breakaway & Tackle Up also sell on line but the overheads of running a shop are high. I live a 10 minute walk from Breakaway but rarely use them as anything can be ordered on line from anywhere and it's easy to find the cheapest price. I even order fishing line from Spain and its comes quickly and it's cheap. Bait also is so much cheaper on line and the amount of frozen bait I can get for £60 on line would cost £75 to £80 from a shop. Having a wife that fishes too helps as we have a freezer just for bait so we can stock up in bulk. I can dig my own lug and rag so I'm lucky there but the prices in East Anglia are much higher than other areas of the country. If we had to buy all our bait the cost would be huge.
It's very sad to loose these shops but on line shopping is taking over and it's not just tackle shops that are suffering and closing.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Unfortunately we all know it's a trend that's been happening on millions of article's not only in angling but Everything.
The huge downside as I have commented on another thread is that it's easy to get ripped off on line. Fake reels, rods etc are easier to spot in your hand to late once you have parted with cash on line.
I've also been (attempted) ripped off with on line bait companies. So it's certainly not a safe environment.
This is where a a "family" like wsf comes in. We Must watch each others backs.
When one of us spots something counterfeit goods, bad service etc let the whole wsf community know asap.

·
Registered
492 Posts
So further to my post above. Is it timewith ever rising prices etc. For the site to start a specific name and shame page?
I'm just chucking this in as a conversation piece.
It's obviously upto site admin

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think comments about on line purchases and the service received would be helpful whether good or bad. However as with anything posted on line we must all be careful to be accurate and careful how things are worded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts