World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Just took delivery of a new two piece boat rod. i put some washing up liquid on both sections.
put it together to see what it was like and bingo:blink: :blink:

stuck solid:g: :g:

can someone give some advice please:clap3:

many thanks

fluffy:clap3: :notworthy

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Hello

Just took delivery of a new two piece boat rod. i put some washing up liquid on both sections.
put it together to see what it was like and bingo:blink: :blink:

stuck solid:g: :g:

can someone give some advice please:clap3:

many thanks

fluffy:clap3: :notworthy
is there a small hole in the rubber stopper in the butt? if not make one to release vaccum, i can,t remember if warming or chilling the joint helps, try both

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
you and a mate pull from each side of joint with a 3rd person wiggling and twisting to alow air in then it scould come apart

·
Global Moderator
5,203 Posts
Instead of using washing up liquid,use a gentle rub with a candle........

I use it for my pole,have done for years,and it really does work....

G

·

What you rub on your pole is your own business and frankly quite obscene! :yucky:

The poor chap has got the joint of his fishing rod stuck.

Personally I'd say warm it gently to expand the air inside....

·
Registered
34 Posts

best thing , [dad taught me] is thumb and fore finger and ruoutside of nose[ this gives a light oil ] and then rub onto ends of rod. works everytime:secret:

·
Global Moderator
5,203 Posts
What you rub on your pole is your own business and frankly quite obscene! :yucky:

The poor chap has got the joint of his fishing rod stuck.

Personally I'd say warm it gently to expand the air inside....

I left myself wide open for that didn't I ? !!!!!!!!! :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
When Pole Fishing On Canals With A Pole Some Joints Wear Alot Preston Do Carbon Spray That We Use As It Wear Befor The Carbon On The Joint

·
Global Moderator
5,203 Posts
it has a hole in the bottom and have heated still wont budge!!!!!

Looks like you need a sunroof then........... :roll1: :roll1:

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
it has a hole in the bottom and have heated still wont budge!!!!!
try to follow this. --- hold the butt with your left hand,----
place your right hand just above the joint
get a mate to stand opposite you ,holding the tip with his left hand, and his right hand just below the joint. ---now, facing eachother twist and gently pull.
this will keep the rod straight and give you a better grip.
failing that it looks as if you have a one piece rod

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i wouldnt care if i couldnt get it apart, the reel seat is fixed and the eyes are facing the wrong way

aarrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
heat would work like this (only on a metal spigot /joint btw)
heat the female end whilst keeping the male end cold, ergo hole gets bigger rod gets smaller with fishing rods as it is in life

try spraying some wd40 and flexing the rod as much as possible over time it will work in and the parts should come apart
if that doesnt work i,ll have the boy look at it he can break anything in two

·
Global Moderator
5,203 Posts
i wouldnt care if i couldnt get it apart, the reel seat is fixed and the eyes are facing the wrong way

aarrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh

:oops:

Try this...........(works on expensive poles,so should work!)

You need three fellas....

One on the butt end,(No wise cracks!!),holding the rod just about halfway down the section.

A second fella on the tip section,holding again,halfway down.

YOU in the middle,with the joint.......(Don't forget to pass it along !)

Grip the joint in between the thumb and forefinger,(I know,but this is serious),and make a circular motion with it,like you would rolling a stick inside a hoop.

The other two should be gently pulling apart,this should break the vacuum,and part the sections.....

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I really wouldn't recommend applying heat to the carbon or using WD40, candle wax or anything else. It was putting washing detergent on the spigot that caused the problem in the first place!

What you need to do is twist and pull at the same time. It helps if you can get a second pair of hands to twist in the opposite direction at the same time as you are twisting and pulling. It does work but it might take a while.

When you next put the rod together make sure that the spigot is completely dry so an air seal doesn't form when the two sections go together - this is what's happened. Also don't push the spigot in too tightly.

As far as candle wax goes I'd only consider using that if he spigot had worn down with use and needed to be made a bit thicker to acheive a snug fit.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have never had this happen to me ...so I have never tried these methods...just heard about them

1/ Place rod behind your knees with your knees together. Grip either side of rod joint tightly...even by gripping the guides...then slowly open your knees (legs) this side pressure should pop the joint....if not just grunt and try not to sheeeet yourself.

2/ If you don't mind damaging a guide or two (they can be replaced)have two forces grip the adjoining guides and either shock loose the joint, or apply even pressure to break seal ....just my 2 pence worth of info this am :g: :g:

If neither of the above work, put a pennant on the rod tip, and fix vertical out of auto window and go fishing.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Cool the joint and wear a pair of grippy gloves (pair of marigolds or something) had this happen a few times with my beach rods, one night it hapened to a pair of rods and I could not shift them, ended up driving 40odd miles home with two 13ft rods out the window of my car!!

Tried everything and couldn't move them at all, then read on here to cool the joint, I wrapped a bag of frozen peas around the joints for about 10 minutes and then they pulled apart. A few times when out fishing and they've stuck I just wrapped a pack of frozen sandeels around the joint for a while :fish:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts