World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, think this was done awhile ago, but i cannot find it.
few weeks back lubed my engine (75 mariner 2 stroke) and moved the steering through full range of movement no problems. went to use the boat today (on a mooring) and the steering is stuck solid.
a cadet boat with same engine as i have had the same problem and someone turned the wheel too hard and stripped the teath in the helm so i have not used force on it.

any help or ideas to free this up will be much appreciated
dave

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I would disconnect the steering rod at the engine and then see if the engine will turn with your hand and if the steering works on it`s own.
Are you sure there is no lock holding the engine firm in that position?
Somtimes the grease in the pivot tube can go hard and lock the engine up, it can be set free by warming up the tube with a hot air gun or as i did with a blow torch.

Alan

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I would disconnect the steering rod at the engine and then see if the engine will turn with your hand and if the stering works on it`s own.
Are you sure there is no lock holding the engine firm in that position?
Somtimes the grease in the pivot tube can go hard and lock the engine up, it can be set free by warming up the tube with a hot air gun or as i did with a blow torch.

Alan
Well done Alankirby thats exactly what I would have done!:clap: there was a post on here not long ago about a clamp you can buy, that goes on the splashwell mount end of the steering tube, that has a grease nipple in it, that forces grease back down the tube, it will eliminate this problem, Chrisp was going to make one after looking at the photo, I wonder if he was successful?:g:
blueskip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys engine was going up and down on trim and i am positive there is no lock in place. i did try pumping some grease into it and got the usual old stuff coming out.
a big hammer comes to mind
dave

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
thanks guys engine was going up and down on trim and i am positive there is no lock in place. i did try pumping some grease into it and got the usual old stuff coming out.
dave
The cable was almost seized on my steering, previous owner had stripped the aluminiun drive in the steering box trying to get it free'er, i had to replace the steering box, then remove the cable, clamp the end that goes onto the motor in a vice and gradually work it free, i then rigged up a funnel on the other end, that goes in the steering box and poured a thin oil in and left overnight, by morning the oil had ran out of the other end, been fine so far, but i suspect the cable is sha**ed, normally with these types of cable, the inner part is a hardened steel and the outer that it runs in, is a much milder (softer) steel, the inner then wears grooves in the outer, then the cable feels lumpy when going in n' out.

AL ..

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is there grease in the little tube that the cable runs in?

i found on my boat when i had got it that there was no grease and the cable end had dried out so wouldnt go all the way in.

Also i believe if you pump grease into the actuator when it is fully out, you hydrolically lock the shaft, and requires stripping down. Does not sound like this but its worth bearing in mind for the future.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
dave
Dave
I had this problem with my steering, & I fixed it by pouring boiling water (from a Thermos flask) on the engine end of the cable, some of it must have gone down between the cable & the outer sheath, & melted the salt (which is probably what is causing it). Nowadays I make sure that I regularly turn the wheel fully onto full lock, & grease the tube with spray grease, as I change to the opposite lock.;)
The trim only shows that the engine is free on the pivot pin, you need to disconnect the steering shaft from the engine, & see if you can turn the engine side to side, if you can the problem is in your steering cable, if the engine wont turn, then its a bit more problematic & usually requires a blowlamp to remedy it.:g:
blueskip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if i need to strip the pivot tube, is it a job that can be done on the mooring, and is it just the 2 nuts on opposite end to the rod?

going down tomorrow to have a better look and give it blueskips water torture treatment

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Dave if you get chance take a photo, there are so many different fittings a picture would help, & would doubtless be recognised by somebody who has had the same problem;)
blueskip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right, steering is now unstuck. removed cable and pivot tube and all cleaned and greased and it runs lovely.had to clean up the inside of the tube a bit with wet and dry as there was some corrosion in there. anyone know where i can get a new tube? had a quick look on line but the searches came back nil for pivot tube, or is it called something else?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I dont know whether you have a splashwell mount fitted on yours? do you have a round collar, with a big ball joint in it, & the steering cable going through the middle of it? screwed to your splash well?
If you do, its called a Splashwell Mounting, there are other types but I am not familiar with them. But they all tend to stiffen if the salt gets inside them, boiling water has always done the job for me.;)
blueskip

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Try tilt tube-but your best bet is just to ring a dealer and order one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.