World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody see that ad for the Simply range of fish from Birdseye? The woman coos "It's the easy way to cook fish!"

OK, maybe I'm a bit thick or something, but what's difficult about cooking fish? Ten minutes under the grill has got to be easier than throwing a piece of dead for weeks before being frozen fish into the oven and cooking it in a bloody bag! And then you have to dispose of the packaging! :nonono: What a complete crock!

·
Registered
90 Posts
noting can beat the FRESH fish
i would'nt eat fish that has been sat on a self for a couple of days, or wraped in a bag and frozen for a couple of months,
went to buy some fresh macky in a local shoping center
and it looked at least a week old, wouldnt give it to the cat:yucky::yucky:

G

·
At my daughters school they teach them how to cook proper meals.

All schools should do this and then there would be no need for grill in the bag fish.

On the subject of fresh fish, some of them benefit from being left in the fridge for a few days. Sole are a prime example. Mackerel on the other hand should be eaten as soon as possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Many wouldnt recognise cod in the sea. It would have to have batter on it and preferbly 2 for 1 stamped on the side.

Ive always found that preparing real food actually builds my hunger, i enjoy eating it more. Everyone should respect what they eat.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
very true, you can make it as simple or as difficult as you like but no need to buy it packaged and ready to go....

also a bit off topic i noticed in tesco the other week they were selling at a more enhanced price 'organic cod'... where does that come from ?? does it mean the cheaper cod is processed somehow ?...:crazy:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Anybody see that ad for the Simply range of fish from Birdseye? The woman coos "It's the easy way to cook fish!"

OK, maybe I'm a bit thick or something, but what's difficult about cooking fish? Ten minutes under the grill has got to be easier than throwing a piece of dead for weeks before being frozen fish into the oven and cooking it in a bloody bag! And then you have to dispose of the packaging! :nonono: What a complete crock!
.....nothings difficult about cooking fish or in general cooking most things, but people are too lazy or can't be bothered to try! Just look what happened on Jamie's Ministry of Food if anyone saw it - entire communities with not a clue on how to cook and families bought up on nothing but convenience foods:bangin:

It's a shame for those who rely totally on convenience and/or takeaway food as they don't know what they are missing!:icecream:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very true, you can make it as simple or as difficult as you like but no need to buy it packaged and ready to go....

also a bit off topic i noticed in tesco the other week they were selling at a more enhanced price 'organic cod'... where does that come from ?? does it mean the cheaper cod is processed somehow ?...:crazy:
Organic cod! :laugh: That's one of the reasons I hate supermarkets. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
To the likes of Tesco's "Organic" is more of a badge than a statement.
Still its better than farm raised cod from Rutland water i hear!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ive always found that preparing real food actually builds my hunger, i enjoy eating it more. Everyone should respect what they eat.
Me too. The old ways of foraging and collecting your own food are dying and its a shame. Whether it be fish, rabbits or collecting wild berries etc theres nothing like catching/collecting wild food and cooking it. No nast packaging to go into landfills either :) This convenience culture these days really bugs me at times.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
its always suprised me, that for a place surrounded by water, there are so few people that can cook fish.:uhuh:
Woahh there captain bollox - bit of a generalisation there innit? How many do you reckon in the UK can cook fish then and what do you base it on? they do convenience food in Spain, France Belgium, Italy etc as well you know.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Me too. The old ways of foraging and collecting your own food are dying and its a shame. Whether it be fish, rabbits or collecting wild berries etc theres nothing like catching/collecting wild food and cooking it. No nast packaging to go into landfills either :) This convenience culture these days really bugs me at times.

"The old ways"- hitherto known as "these trying times"

·
Registered
24,896 Posts
It is up to us to carry on teaching the youngsters how to get a free meal from the land or water,:secret:i ate so much rabbit when i was a kid that i cant really face it these days,a big stew pot re heated night after night untill it was gone,occasionally used to aquire a bonus pheasant or partridge!!!

G

·
I can remember being with my grandmother in the fishmongers in Warwick - fifty years ago we still had fishmongers. She was a West Coast of Scotland woman. She looked at the fish with a critical expression, and the fishmonger said: "They're all fresh, Madam."

"Fresh?" she said. "The only thing fresh about those fish is the date of exhumation."

Nowadays we have the famous quote:

"I'm not bothered whether the fishermen can fish or not. I buy fish fingers at Morrisons".

I wonder how many folk today think that fish really have fingers?

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Woahh there captain bollox - bit of a generalisation there innit? How many do you reckon in the UK can cook fish then and what do you base it on? they do convenience food in Spain, France Belgium, Italy etc as well you know.

you have only got to look at the quality of the "fresh" fish on offer in the supermarkets.
if the consumers really knew about fish,they would be throwing it back at the staff.
they certainly wouldnt buy the rubbish.
If they cant tell the difference.......what chance have they got of cooking it well?
As far as convenience foods go....................you only have to compare the size of that section of a British supermarket.........to a french one.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
you have only got to look at the quality of the "fresh" fish on offer in the supermarkets.
if the consumers really knew about fish,they would be throwing it back at the staff.
they certainly wouldnt buy the rubbish.
If they cant tell the difference.......what chance have they got of cooking it well?
As far as convenience foods go....................you only have to compare the size of that section of a British supermarket.........to a french one.
Utter utter snobbery-

no people wouldn't throw the stuff back at the staff- like it or not the majority of ordinary working people can't afford to buy expensive fresh line caught fish from the local toffs fishmongery-just because the food is from a supermarket it doesnt mean it is crap and cant be cooked well- I bought cheap frozen prawns and some asparagus from Asda last weekend- cooked a risotto for some petit bourgeois food snob friends and they thought it was the best meal they'd had in ages-

As far as France goes- Rick Stein might try and kid us all that it's fairy tale land insofar as fresh produce goes but having lived in Lille for a few years I've been to plenty of French supermarkets and the convenience food sections are no different to ours and most of their beer is crap- with a few exceptions.

Read a few books by Sami Zubaida on food and the working class- very intersting

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Utter utter snobbery-

-just because the food is from a supermarket it doesnt mean it is crap and cant be cooked well- I bought cheap frozen prawns and some asparagus from Asda last week

i buy fish from supermarkets every week...just not british supermarkets.the quality is generally awfull.i´m not sure what prawns have to do with anything? i thought we were talking fish??
and as for snobbery....:uhuh: i just wont buy garbage fish from british supermarkets.....ive seen "fresh" mackeral, i wouldnt use as bait.
as im sure others have too.

if you are happy with what you buy...im happy for you.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Rubbish- I thought the whole idea of a forum was to discuss different ideas- the thread started off about a particular convenience fish product which developed into a discussion about fish in supermarkets generally and comments about the ability of people in the UK to cook and buy fish- i'm big enough to have a discussion,argument or whatever you want to call it without going in the huff,as is captain C- we obviously don't agree but we're not getting our handbags out like so many others seem to.

Everyone's welcome to make their points/opinions known and it's these two posts in particular the un-necessary namecalling post which actually contributes nothing whatsoever to the forum or the discussion.

Captain C - I've also bought loads of fish from Supermarkets and there's nowt wrong with the quality- monkfish, cod, halibut- can't say i noticed any discernible difference between the supermarket fish and the fish i've bought from a fishmonger to be honest- but that must be because I have an appallingly British sense of bad taste :yawn:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts