World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my eye on a 16ft mustard beachcaster its new and very cheap was £200, I can get it for around the £90 mark
Only thing is, its set up for a fixed spool, personally I use multipliers, would it be an issue?
I can see the sense in not using a multiplier rod for a fixed spool as the first small ring would slow down the line.

Any suggestions will be greatly recieved

FishermanFigg

G

·
I am no expert on beach rods but I think you are correct about not using a multiplier rod for a fixed spool. I can not see a problem in using a fixed spool rod with a multiplier though
Terry

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I am no expert on beach rods but I think you are correct about not using a multiplier rod for a fixed spool. I can not see a problem in using a fixed spool rod with a multiplier though
Terry
I may be wrong but i would have though this would be round the other way.
If you have a 16ft rod you obviously want some distance. Using a fixed spool on a multi rod would restrict your distance as the smaller eyes would not be able to deal with the coils of line coming off your f/s and hold you back due to friction.
Using a multi on a f/s rod would be fine as it surly wouldn't matter if the rings were bigger or not.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I would have thought that a 16 foot rod is not really suitable for a multiplier or a pendulum cast and would be more suited to a fixed spool real anyway?

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
multi on a f/s rod is fine
it doesnt work so good the other way round as line peeling off a f/s needs room to uncoil before first eye any reduction in the size of the first eye would restrict it a bit also the spool on a f/s is lower than on a multi so again the first eye is larger to componsate

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may be wrong but i would have though this would be round the other way.
If you have a 16ft rod you obviously want some distance. Using a fixed spool on a multi rod would restrict your distance as the smaller eyes would not be able to deal with the coils of line coming off your f/s and hold you back due to friction.
Using a multi on a f/s rod would be fine as it surly wouldn't matter if the rings were bigger or not.

Well, I need a new rod, so I think i'll go for it,

many thanks for your replies,
cascars, let me know about your next nautical adventure Ive got quite a few who could make a party, what's your max numbers on board ?
Thanks again

Alan

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have thought that a 16 foot rod is not really suitable for a multiplier or a pendulum cast and would be more suited to a fixed spool real anyway?
I had'nt thought of that, whats the reasoning on that then,
I dont pendulum cast, way too scary, i'd end up killing someone, or myself !

Alan

G

·
To determine if a multiplier will work on a given fixed spool rung rod you should place your reel on the rod, run your line through the eyes then using the line pull until you have a very good bend on the rod with the eyes pointing up (get somebody else to do the pulling while you hold the rod), you then need to make sure that the line is not touching the blank at any point. If line and blank never meet you have a very good chance of using it without problems, if the line touches the blank it is not worth trying, it could cause a crack-off during any cast and runs the risk of rubbing into the blank and ruining the rod along with cutting the line while winding in.

·
Registered
443 Posts
People will tell you that the spine of the rod is located in such a position as to give the rod its strength when you retreive with the rings facing down (as with fixed spool) or up (as with a multi), but the BIG problem and to check before you buy is how many rings there are. If there are too few, when the rod is bent when winding in with the rod under stress, the line will rub along the blank - not good - so be very wary!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To determine if a multiplier will work on a given fixed spool rung rod you should place your reel on the rod, run your line through the eyes then using the line pull until you have a very good bend on the rod with the eyes pointing up (get somebody else to do the pulling while you hold the rod), you then need to make sure that the line is not touching the blank at any point. If line and blank never meet you have a very good chance of using it without problems, if the line touches the blank it is not worth trying, it could cause a crack-off during any cast and runs the risk of rubbing into the blank and ruining the rod along with cutting the line while winding in.
I'll go back there tomorrow and try that

Cheers

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I'd be more concerned about just buying something because it seems to be a bargin. While it may be an rrp of £200 how much does it cost elsewhere? Almost all tackle is sold way below rrp, a mag elite with an rrp of £154.99 can be had for as little as £70. I'd suggest getting something you actually want rather than something that seems like a bargin. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Fixed spool rods, bigger rings and few of them.
Multi rods, small rings and lots of them.

Fixed spool on multi rod, ok'ish.

Multiplier on fixed spool rod, not so good, as the rod is held with the rings up on cast and retrieve, the fewer rings on the fixed spool rod will mean the line will touch the blank.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I had'nt thought of that, whats the reasoning on that then,
I dont pendulum cast, way too scary, i'd end up killing someone, or myself !

Alan

To be honest it's just what I'm reading on this and other forums, that the longer rods are not suited to pendulum casting or multipliers.
They all advocate simple overhead thumping with FS reels once you get past 14 foot or so.
I may be right off........

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be honest it's just what I'm reading on this and other forums, that the longer rods are not suited to pendulum casting or multipliers.
They all advocate simple overhead thumping with FS reels once you get past 14 foot or so.
I may be right off........

Seems like a reasonable arguement, and also am I tempted because its a "bargin"
thanks for your help.

cheers all

Fishermanfigg

G

·
Just read my reply again and I said what you all said, and that was that a multiplier on a fixed spool rod will be ok but not the other way round:unsure:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Some of the very long rods now sport more rings - and rings of a size that even a multiplier user would consider 'small'.
The big rings of old style 'fixed spool' rods are rapidly disappearing. Thank goodness!
What is more important than size is their position on the blank - particularly the position of the butt ring in relation to the reel ( both multiplier & fixed spool)
Using fine mono main line or braid a small ring - in the right position - is so much better than a large ring IMHO.
As long as the butt ring on a multiplier rod is not too close to the reel a fixed spool will cast perfectly well.
A 'multiplier' rung rod is usually perfectly comfortable with all but the largest diameter fixed spool. The bonus with multiplier rings is the spacing between the rings is closer and load the blank much more efficiently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts