World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A brisk north westerly and a hernia diagnosis put me off chucking 6 oz weights off Hythe beach so debated going to Samphire or St.Margarets. I reckoned the latter would be more sheltered and I wasn't wrong. A stunning day there and I regretted wearing me thermals. I set up 90 minutes before high on the beach in front of the furthest white house but after 10 minutes got a bit nervy about how high the water was going to reach. I noticed the water was getting very close to the steps leading off the beach with still over an hour to go to high tide so decided to move onto the prom by the far end of the car park. Plenty of fish there - nothing outstanding but the final tally was 7 whiting, 2 rockling and 1 each of pouting and dog fish. All in all a very enjoyable session.
So, where does the stupidity come in? Well after fishing for 2 and a half years, I am not experienced but have learnt a lot, not least from WSF contributors. I enjoy the challenge of fishing rough ground marks and am fairly confident doing it. I usually use a couple of cheap Rovex Varona reels loaded with 30 lb straight through and rotten bottoms. I used this set up on one rod today and lost no gear at all. But.....for some bizarre unknown reason I used a conventional set up of 20lb plus shock leader on the other rod ....and....the last cast was on that rod, after it had got dark, and with my last 3 lug. The rod gave a huge pull down after a couple of minutes. I wound down and could feel something sizeable on the end, trying to pull the rod out of my hands. I struck......and snagged! I tried for 10 minutes to free it, all the time feeling the fish moving around. Eventually the inevitable happened and the leader knot gave way. I was gutted, the one snag of the whole session and it has to happen when something decent has been hooked. Well I won't make the same mistake again. Back to spark plugs and weak links in future.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Gutting!!! Feel for ya bud.

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Sorry to here of your loss mate
That's why I use my rig which keeps the weight out of the way and your only playing the fish it's a hard place
St margarets
Have fished it myself many times in the past
The trouble is it doesn't have a steep angle to pull against
Not like the butts at kings down

Reactions: bunson

·
Registered
413 Posts
I recommended you learn to tie the bimini leader knot, it the strongest, as strong if not stronger than the main line, if you pull for a break the line snaps but not on the leader knot, with 30 lb line you have a chance of straighting out hooks and should certainly be o.k with rottom bottom rigs with say 15lb line, I only use a Bimini knot and with 18lb asso hard skin I pull a lot of lost gear in, sorry about the lost fish

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
That's a proper downer Pete. Did you invent some new Anglo Saxon verbage for the occasion?

Reactions: rsg

·
13,191 Posts
I recommended you learn to tie the bimini leader knot, it the strongest, as strong if not stronger than the main line, if you pull for a break the line snaps but not on the leader knot, with 30 lb line you have a chance of straighting out hooks and should certainly be o.k with rottom bottom rigs with say 15lb line, I only use a Bimini knot and with 18lb asso hard skin I pull a lot of lost gear in, sorry about the lost fish
Sorry codling I disagree
Keep it simple that's the game
Have fished rough for years mate
Little rig I use
Lead
Carp stop bead
Swivel bead
Carp stop
Carp stop anywhere up the line u want
I use 30 lb line no leaders
8 inch trace 30 lb
Mustard 79515 s
The carp stop gets pulled down to the lead and trace
Lifts lead off the bottom
But if snagged
U get a straight pull on the hook that bends out
This is the crap I fish
No probs and lots of places like
It's just like home lols
Shore Sea Coast Rock Natural environment

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Good report and unlucky we have all been there with that at some point. I have lost some good cod at Dungey on snags close in.

Reactions: sinking man

·
13,191 Posts
Good report and unlucky we have all been there with that at some point. I have lost some good cod at Dungey on snags close in.
Hi becks
But your just unlucky
Most of yours are line snags
Real mothers to get out of
But with rough it's mostly the hook getting caught on kelp fronds
Not the chalk itself

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Now you have fished there and understand the ground, you need to evaluate your mistakes and re think the type of rigs you are using.
Think out side the box, think about what rock hopper has said.
Your already halfway there !! straight through line 30lb good start, now think about the rig, hook (not hooks), the type of lead you are using, and finally at low tide look for as clear an area as you can to bring hooked fish in and memorize it.

Overall sounds like you had a good day :):):)
Well done, nice report
Rob

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now you have fished there and understand the ground, you need to evaluate your mistakes and re think the type of rigs you are using.
Think out side the box, think about what rock hopper has said.
Your already halfway there !! straight through line 30lb good start, now think about the rig, hook (not hooks), the type of lead you are using, and finally at low tide look for as clear an area as you can to bring hooked fish in and memorize it.

Overall sounds like you had a good day :):):)
Well done, nice report
Rob
Thanks for the advice. Interestingly all fish today were caught on a simple one hook flapper. The other rod had a 3/0 flowing trace and was ignored.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Interestingly all fish today were caught on a simple one hook flapper. The other rod had a 3/0 flowing trace and was ignored.
The flowing trace may have been ignored, why I don't know?? but in rocky ground that is not the sort of trace you should be using (snagging risk very very high)
I would think if you had have caught a fish on that set up you would have been snagged in no time at all !!

Have a look at rock hoppers advice, if it is to complicated go for a pulley rig, long body, short trace, single hook (one you know you can bend out) and a plain lead, weak link, and lead lift if you feel you need it, especially if you have not got height to lift straight up, and as rock hopper said can't get the right angle .
This set up is simple, minimal parts, inexpensive to make, and will get you started.
This is the rig of choice for me, and works for me.
Hope this helps
Rob

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am amazed that no one has mentioned that he should not be relying on 30lb line to take the force of casting. Unless 3oz leads are being used he should be using atleast 50lb shock leader.

·
Registered
PB BASS 75CM
7,941 Posts
if you could feel the fish why didnt you just give it line
the fish would of got you unsnagged
when i lure fish and me plug gets snagged i do just that and 9 times out of ten it gets free
by the tide movement

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am amazed that no one has mentioned that he should not be relying on 30lb line to take the force of casting. Unless 3oz leads are being used he should be using atleast 50lb shock leader.
I was using 4 oz weights on the 30 lb but casting close in. Normally I use a couple of plugs so no need for a shock leader.
if you could feel the fish why didnt you just give it line
the fish would of got you unsnagged
when i lure fish and me plug gets snagged i do just that and 9 times out of ten it gets free
by the tide movement
I did give it line. I tried to free it up for a good 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Hi Richard
The 1 oz to every 10 lb is an accepted fact as most of us know, and this mathematical equation will cover the most hardened of casters such as pendulum casters.
I myself am an average caster and I do use the formula above.
But for heavy rock fishing, and very boney ground you are in a different realm and you are not generally casting more than 50 yards, so a gentle lob gets you to the mark you need without the need of a shock leader.
Most if not all the people that are involved with rock fishing are fully aware of 1 to 10 rule.

I don't mean to sound patronizing but I am assuming rightly or wrongly that you have not done a lot of heavy rock fishing ??
The basics with this kind of fishing, is that you reduce all the normal paraphernalia, and make everything as simple as possible.
Every knot, link, swivel, clip, hook, are all snag attractors, and this also includes the use of grip leads, so therefore plain leads, whether beach bomb or flat is order of the day..
Others will have variations on this but all in all, simple is the key
Hope this helps
Rob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts