World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've orderd a penn 525 mag for my shimano catana quiver tip and also like to use for spinning for cod, coaly and halibut in north Norway. Last year I used an ugly stick sea bass rod with a shimano aero wich worked great, but I could use some more power because some fish need to come from 50 meters down and more (I cast a little pilk uptide and let it sink and then when it gets downtide I reel it in, this way I've caught loads of cod, coaly and catfish when you catch nothing with big pilks).

I need a sturdy spinning rod for reels, does anyone got an idee? I intend to fill my penn mag 525 with about 150 m 10mm berkley power pro and back it up with 50/00 nylon,

·
Registered
390 Posts
Henry Gilbey was using the Greys Missionary 9' 100g rod in Norway to haul huge cod and colies up from the deep. It's not discontinued though they come up on Ebay from time to time. I also have one and they are VERY gutsy though I've only taken Tapron to 20lb on it up to now.

A lot depends on what strength line you tend to use. If it's relatively light, say 15-20lb I dont see the point in having a very gutsy rod and you'll not be able to lean on it that much before the line snaps. I recently landed a tarpon of around 100lb on a Mike Ladle rod with 20lb line, though I was limited to how much leverage I could apply due to the line strength. However if you're going to use 30-40lb line I could see the use of the heavier rod.

Snowbee do a 'Tarpon' spinning rod (Deep Blue Series) which is similar to the Greys and might be up your street.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I have a Penn Millenium 3m Baitcast Salmon rod. Casts 60- 120g (will just handle 150g). Trigger grip reel seat.

Matched with a ABU 7000HSN and 30lb Fireline it does the job you described.
Though used in Scotland the fish have not been huge.

Really gutsy outfit - must have been made for some seriously big salmon!

No idea if they are still available - Google some of the American tackle stores.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whiplash pro 10 mm has a breaking strenghth of 30 lb, so that won't be the problem. I'll have a look for tarpon spinning rods, thanks for the advice.

update
http://www.snowbee.co.uk/rods2.htm#6

Looks likes a nice rod, but unfortunatly there is no dealer in the Netherlands (I like to "feel" a rod before I buy it). I'll think I give Shimano a ring to send the Shimano Nexave AX Special Game fisch Haevy 2.70 to a local dealer so I van "feel" and see if it can be used with a reel.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading the multiplyer and braid topic I think I won't use Whiplash pro, rather I'll use Spider wire 30 lb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts