World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a highly secret venue last night, possibly never fished by anyone before. Probably not, though, because, contrary to popular belief, it was not at all crap.
Johnny & his rotten bottom came too, both of us chasing small species, with a couple of particular targets among them.

John had had a flounder rod out as we dug worm on the way there and he had DOZENS
... of worms. There were probably so many there because the flounder didn’t want them. It didn’t look good.

But it was. Baits were hit as soon as the lead struck bottom. I suffered a bout of the rig-losing jinx, when EVERY fish went into a snag and I found rocky traps in what should have been clean ground, but I was kept going by the sack-loads of dragonets that John was pulling in and knowing that the dabs had to be out there with them. But eventually, I started keeping gear and catching fish too.

And the species just kept piling up:

Out of 25-odd fish in total, I had nine species myself – not sure if John had any different extras – most of what you might expect, apart from NO dogfish – and including highlights of a surprise micro-cod and two first evers for me, a tompot and a scorpionfish – the one I had been chasing.

#​

Funniest bit, though, was when we first got there and were setting up. Up staggers some loudmouthed, half-cut Brummie, brimming with expert advice.
"Naah, you don’t want to fish on the bottom, pal. You want a float and sand eel. Never fails."
"Didn’t bring any floats, mate," we apologised humbly, and carried on with our tiny ledger gear.
"Naah, float and sand eel, that’s what you want." He said it as though we were as stupid as we look, then lurched off in disgust toward a couple of blokes who had been there all day.

"WA-HAYYY!"
(Knobby Holder’s off again)
"HERE’S a guy who knows what he’s doing! Float and sand eel, see! Told you. Never fails. What you been catching then, mate?"

There’s a long pause.

"Nothing."
:roll1:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Well done lads,:punk:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
awesome tally of species..went down there yesterday morning,and could only endure 1hr of the bullshine that came out of one of the pier regulars mouth.apparently the dragonette i had first chuck was a scorpionfish..:help:..he was the same,sandeel all the way,worms arent worth bothereing with..lol..also told me of the thornback ray he was catching reecently from capstone..pmsl..he doesnt bother with bait elastic either,`just hook em in the belly,the toughest bit,ive had these eels 3 days and their still in good nick`..pmsl.he then wanged a cast out`CRACK`.the sandeel went one way and the lead another.it pays to listen to local advice..:marinheir

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
awesome tally of species..went down there yesterday morning,and could only endure 1hr of the bullshine that came out of one of the pier regulars mouth.apparently the dragonette i had first chuck was a scorpionfish..:help:..he was the same,sandeel all the way,worms arent worth bothereing with..lol..also told me of the thornback ray he was catching reecently from capstone..pmsl..he doesnt bother with bait elastic either,`just hook em in the belly,the toughest bit,ive had these eels 3 days and their still in good nick`..pmsl.he then wanged a cast out`CRACK`.the sandeel went one way and the lead another.it pays to listen to local advice..:marinheir
pmsl aint you glad you live down here? i mean imagine all that crap day in day out!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Well done Foxy 9 species top man:1a:,you say about BULL---- there is a bit down thisere way from some m8 lmfao:roll1:,great report and pics.Aj.:fishing1::thumbs:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thats a fair few species. I reckon a Sole could be on the cards down there soon. Maybe not on float n sandeel though.:doh:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
well the pier definatley throws a good whack of species up, apart from the bullshine the guy was tellling ya wilky when i was around 16 i hooked into a thornback ray off the pier north end unfortunatley the line snapped on trying to bring it up doh

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i had a micro sole last year too and a brill
Seen a cracker down there years ago,gotta been 3lb,the angler had 3 of em in all(other 2 were smaller),he also had 4 Plaice,one about 3lb one about 2lb and 2 smaller ones. Plus a 4lb Plaice was had on peeler crab legs down there donkeys years ago.
Never had a Sole over a lb down there myself,but theres gotta be some qaulity fish down there if they can get to your baits b4 the vast variety of fish queing up for the worm baits find the bait.
C.V eh?...should be "Cracking Variety" :laugh:...with some Specimen Lurkers occasionally.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I had a brill from there some years back-although i didnt know at the time till i compared photos a while after.

·
Registered
710 Posts
once had a 3lb 2oz flounder on the old peir 22 years back [christ i thinnk im getting older !]

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I used to love the old pier. Always used to love a bit of floatfishing in the warm weather,the float rod would always bounce about looking like a bite was happening,often short skirted onlookers would look over the pier to see what was making the rod move,reminds me of the tuppeny slot machines down there. I often used to miss bites on the bottom fishing rod if floatfishing too,dont know why.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
sole was achieved last night, along with garfish to me and red mullet to johnny and rock goby to 4fox, wilky got his ballan as well.

johnny and colin have pics

11 species evening,
pollock
garfish
pouting
poor cod
dab
sole

dragonet
ballan wrasse
red mullet
rock goby
black bream

nice

really wanted a red mullet as well.

several crabs caught as well and a few prawn in the tarp.

very nice evening

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Nice one Offy. The CV is the Plaice for them Soles. I aint mentioning the Red Mullet though.:laugh: I gotta get out for a species bash sometime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts