World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have rescently bought myself a fishing boat,
i was wondering if anyone knows of any good waypoints or marks for the burryport area, near the witford, burryholms, pembrey and the worm?
i would be greatful, as its my first year and need a point in the right direction.......cheers

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Paul, Its years since I fished Burry Inlet but Jack the Lad & I are going to take our boats out from there on a suitable day next month.
There are always fish to be caught in the South Channel off Whiteford Point, Hills Tor, Blue Pool mainly on the flood. (plaice, dabs, bass)
Outside the bar over the foul grounds & Hall Rock there is good general "rubbish" fishing, conger, huss, pollack etc.
Around the Holms there is nothing but trouble for the unwary, its a place to go past, on the way to somewhere else, & then only 2hrs+ before or after low water, dont try crossing the bar at low water!!!!
Around the Worm try "Danger Reef" ( off Fall Bay) over high water, drifting with baited feathers will give pollack & bass.
There is a spot on the "drop off" from 3-6fathoms off The Rectory on Llangenith beach, where you can pick up a full trace of dabs every drop down (if you like dabs).
Also you can hide in the Middle Channel off Pembrey Harbour, behind the Hooper Bank when the tide is out, (you are sheltered from the wind behind the sandbank), but when the tide comes back in you have to move, because you get white water as it comes over the bank.
All in all its not the place for the absolute boating beginner, dont venture out if the wind is over force 3/4, it funnels up the Inlet to give bad conditions. Go down at low water with a hand bearing compass & a chart, & mark where the channels are (this year), cos they will be different to last year!
Sit on the Barrel Post for a couple of hours at low water with binos, & watch where the tide floods first, where the white water is, & look for a "low water escape route" back to the safety of the harbour entrance.
Dont go out unless there are other boats going out, that estuary can be a lonely place when the wind comes up, & you are stuck off Hills Tor at low water, knowing that you have to cross to Burry Port later on, with a rising wind, on your starboard beam all the way across, & the breakers rolling off the Hooper Bank!!!!
Enjoy your boating Paul
blueskip

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
hi there iam a new member logged on yesterday,iam booking a charter boat 4 june the tides are tidy were going on the panther is any good?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts