World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All and fingers crossed for being able to get out again very soon.
I am after some info and advice for disabled friendly marks around the North West. I fish with a friend who has to use crutches after the loss of the lower half of her left leg so no rock spots please. She can fish from beaches but prefers piers or walls as can then cast/retrieve herself having somewhere to lean and balance. We live in Rossendale so closest area is Blackpool/Fleetwood. Also parking as close by as possible as I have to carry all the gear.
Thanks in advance and tight lines.
Phil.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Gynn wall at Blackpool, although I think you have to get a permit. Morecambe stone jetty either first part on the right or straight off the end. Also heysham north wall can fish from your car though some of it was closed off last I heard.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For disabled friendly marks near comfortable car access, Morecambe is a dead loss these days, North Wall at Heysham is mostly blocked off and the Stone Jetty seems to be full of Dog Walkers who let their pets do what they want. If they are not peeing on your tackle they are peeing on your car whilst the owner admires the dogs flow rate. Last time I was there, I politely asked one person to get the dogs head out of my bait because there may be hooks that could hurt the dog, I was told I had no right to be using hooks whilst fishing! That did it for me. The so called fishing platform is also pretty useless for fishing, its intended purpose (!) My little disabled group now no longer fish Morecambe.
Agree with the suggestion of the Gynn Wall together with a parking permit from the council. Morecambe council are missing a trick here but obviously don't need the extra income anglers treated properly would provide. The 4 of us would often get a pub meal and buy bait. Not now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All and fingers crossed for being able to get out again very soon.
I am after some info and advice for disabled friendly marks around the North West. I fish with a friend who has to use crutches after the loss of the lower half of her left leg so no rock spots please. She can fish from beaches but prefers piers or walls as can then cast/retrieve herself having somewhere to lean and balance. We live in Rossendale so closest area is Blackpool/Fleetwood. Also parking as close by as possible as I have to carry all the gear.
Thanks in advance and tight lines.
Phil.
5 bar gate beach Cleveleys, free parking right in front of the beach

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just to add to the Morecambe misery....the North wall at Heysham Harbour is CLOSED to anglers now :(
Peel ports were supposedly ‘in negotiations’ with Gerrys fishing to attempt to open a permit system or similar up but since the closure to ‘protect the public during ongoing groundworks’ the wall is no longer only blocked off but security will come & move anglers now. Peel had enough of the disgraceful mess left by visiting anglers ( use the term loosely) .... sadly . I must’ve removed several tons of it to public bins over the last 25 years but it’d be back 24 hours later. Really sad loss of venue but far from unexpected, locals have been pleading with people to clean up after themselves but it fell to a handful to do it as always.

Morecambe Stone Jetty - you can get a permit to take the car right onto the jetty, it’s a card/retracting bollard thing...just needs an application to Lancaster city council, blue badge holders shouldn’t have any problems as I understand it . It DOES produce fish, some stonking hounds have been landed from the very end today alone, unfortunately it’s easy fishing and attracts mobs of great white hunters. Last summer it was packed to the rafters with visiting anglers, over 30 in a space 30 feet wide, most of whom pendulum cast and were having to take turns to move back BEHIND other anglers to swing their leads to cast over the others’ heads.... it’s not a pleasant time of year for the venue at the moment but let the hounds get away by late July it should be quieter. Good plaice from September on...
Morecambe Golf club is an OK....ish venue at the East end of the town, park at the side of the road and 20 feet to the railings to cast out. Only really viable on the very biggest tides of 9.8m + if you can’t get down the steps to the beach easily. It’s not a prolific venue but does produce Plaice , Bass in summer and Whiting ,Flounder etc in winter.

As Barry pointed out- the ‘fishing platform’ at the old Grosvenor area is a bit of a lemon. It has its moments but local info helps... it was designed with the best intentions but at the same time as a large town-wide rock armour scheme that caused massive scouring out of sand,many feet of which have disappeared from the beach and settled behind the fishing platform so its only really fishable at The front now. People have fished tides up to 9.5m+ but a puff of breeze and it’ll come over at the end, ideally a 9m tide, you don’t get a long session compared to some venues, often only fishable from about 1 1/2 hours before HW and similar back down, possibly a tad longer but not a lot. Summer time it’s a pleasant spot ( if they’ve fixed the storm damaged railings ) and does throw up fish like Bass & Smoothounds but it’s not many tides in a month that are really suitable .
Sadly Morecambe isn’t that angler friendly these days but there are spots,sing up if you’re fancying a trip over and I’ll try to point you at wherever is favourite at the time :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks very much for all the info guys, been to look at Cleveleys and Fleetwood today and found a few likely spots to try. Will update on any catch reports asap.
Thanks again and happy catching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts