World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I bought a pair of Abu Polarised sun glasses, I know that these stop reflections on the water.

I also have a Polarised filter( one that you rotate ) on my camera lens,

when I want to take a photo through glass this lens stops the reflections just as it should do, but when I put the Abu glasses on I can’t get rid of the reflections through glass unless I **** my head right over to one side !!

Am I missing something or what ? :g:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Look on the bright side..... you definately have polarised lenses in both.

All to do with how the polarising works. They effectively allow light waves through the lens in a single plane. Best way to think about it is imagine you are looking through a very narrow vertical window with something coming towards you moving up and down. Provided it is not as wide as the opening it will get through. Now if that same object came towards you moving side to side the chances of it getting through is next to none (although the odd one may get through.).

Now think of two narrow windows both vertical, the object moving up and down will still get through. Rotate one window 90 deg. Almost nothing will get through.

Now change the object for light waves, and the windows for your lenses.......

Sounds like the light coming through the lens even though it is polarised is being passed in a direction opposite to your sunglasses. Could try another pair of glasses (but take your camera when you do) not all lenses are polarised in the same plane.

Then again....after all of that .....it could be light getting to you from outside the camera !!

Hope that makes sense !!!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok Carleonr, got it, thanks for the quick answer. :clap3:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Surely they are polarized for water and water is not in the same plane as a glass window, try looking into a pond with and without see if there is any difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
No.... doesnt matter what plane the thing that you are looking at is in.... it polarizes the light coming FROM it. Basically it tidys the light waves up into nice straight lines.....

David

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bottom line, don't buy cheap sunglasses unless you want to ruin your eyesight.

Always buy sunglasses with glass mirror lenses and only by from companies in places that have a lot of sun, eg Florida, Texas, etc etc.

Ocean waves and Costa del Mar are both made in Florida and I have sunglasses from both manufacturers. They WORK, but both cost around 180 to 220 US$.

More importantly professional anglers use then too!

If you want to have eyesight when you get old, buy proper sunglasses

BB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts