World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With reports of small codling being caught in numbers on Burnham Beach I took a leisurely drive across Somerset in the sunshine. Great views to both sides of the A39 road along the crest of the ridge.
Bought some bait in Highbridge and then on to Burnham.
Free parking alongside the cafe and toilets, a leisurely mug of tea and then down on to the sand, yes, sand! Other times I've fished there a layer of mud has covered everything but today it looked almost like the tourist brochure in the sunshine. I didn't even need to put on wellies and overtrousers.

Beach Sea Shore Water Coast

As the beach seems to fish much the same wherever you are I wandered down to fish the eddy behind the slip as the tide came in. Casting was difficult as I've managed to provoke a dodgy vertebrae, I took bass rods and 3oz grip weights but still couldn't give it much of a chuck. As it happens the tide comes in quickly over the gently sloping beach so a short cast soon becomes a medium cast and, as there was no crab activity, the fish could find the bait eventually.

It was pleasant fishing, sunshine, slight breeze, and only a little weed in the water; but no fish.
I had one big bite that came to nothing and a fidget on the rod baited with gar strip resulted in a tiny whiting.
The inshore lifeboats were launched which gave everyone something to look at.
Bites were few and far between, I decided that if I caught my target species I'd pack up and go and eat, a tap tap on the lugworm baited rod and in came a little codling. Job's a good'un. No. 15.

There were others fishing the beach up in front of the paddling pool and some more came to fish to my left. I don't know how they fared.

As I was nearby I took a trip up to look at Portishead Marina, last time I fished it they had just demolished the factory alongside the dock and there were very few buildings. I will have to give it a fish when the weather stops fishing elsewhere.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Good report, always look at the southwest forum to see how your getting on, we can poach from the welsh side (boat) if its fishing well :p hard all round at the moment micro codling, odd keeper. would help if the weather played ball this season (Cod)

David.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well done cap'n. Its nice to tick off one of the awkward ones.
It was a case of all the factors coming together, light wind, rising neap tide and local reports.
My health at present makes it impossible for me to trudge along Chesil and heave large baits about so it's a matter of grabbing any chance of an easy fish that comes along.
I'm pondering about a trip to Pembrokeshire to see what's about up there, Swanage tomorrow and you're never sure what might come from the beach there.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
A favored mark of mine with such easy access and it can be really good fishing.
I'll be at Portishead marina on Sunday. Got to drop a damaged rod off to Reel Fun so i'll bring the little rod to have a dip while I'm there :cool:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
A favored mark of mine with such easy access and it can be really good fishing.
I'll be at Portishead marina on Sunday. Got to drop a damaged rod off to Reel Fun so i'll bring the little rod to have a dip while I'm there :cool:
make sure you get there before 12 as he shuts then lol

Reactions: ednino

·
Registered
889 Posts
Don't discount Posset marina. I've had some size fish there when everyone elsewhere is catching rubbish. Some sensible mullet in there, maybe up to near the double, plus pollack to around 6lb, and fairly decent bass and cod. Most of the catch is smaller stuff though: fluke to 2lb, whiting, grey gurnard, pout, schoolies, freshwater eel etc.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm a big fan of portishead marina, had the best fight from any fish I'v ever caught down there with a £5 telescopic rod & tiny reel with 5lb line. Was a pollock of maybe 1.5lb tops but it might as well have been a great white on that set up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mentioned that we'd visited the place years ago when they were tidying up the demolished factory; then Bruv caught a huge pollack, scale perfect and in superb condition and an even bigger one was nosing his float along the surface.
My report was pooh-poohed by others as 'there are no big fish in there'.
There were and still are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been tempted for a while now to just take a boat rod and chuck out a mackeral flapper on a massive hook just to see what might be lurking in there. I had a stonking bite once which snapped my line and my rod simultaneously so I'm sure there's some monster skulking around. Is surely the best place in the upper channel for variety though you never know what's going to pop up.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Are we still talking about the marina in Portishead?
There used to be a young lad on here - Danny I think, used to fish it all the time and showed some pics of some decent flounder.
I've also been told, whether or not it is true, that there is the occasional ray lurking in the depths. Due to the opening and closing of the lock gates apparently.

I keep meaning to get over there for a few hours but not sure how to tackle it - ie, fresh water gear or light tackle sea gear!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I was there earlier. Had a quick dip with LRF gear but the wind was awful so I didn't stick at it.

I'd love to fish it with open end feeder & a halibut pellet base groundbait. Size 6 with a bit of ragworm. Coarse fishing the sea!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are we still talking about the marina in Portishead?
There used to be a young lad on here - Danny I think, used to fish it all the time and showed some pics of some decent flounder.
I've also been told, whether or not it is true, that there is the occasional ray lurking in the depths. Due to the opening and closing of the lock gates apparently.

I keep meaning to get over there for a few hours but not sure how to tackle it - ie, fresh water gear or light tackle sea gear!
this one http://portisheadfisherman.blogspot.co.uk

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's the one cap.
Just found him again myself actually but thanks very much for the link.
Back on topic of Burnham, I'm down there for the evening tide on Wednesday so I'll hopefully be posting a report

Reactions: ednino
1 - 15 of 15 Posts