1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What's your thoughts on this?

Item number 62274255357

Would it be suitable for a pod & outboard?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
looks ok for a project.

fill in the old stern drive hole and fit a nice pod and decent outboard.

you could fit a nice cuddy up front and turn it in to a decent fishing boat.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the idea of having 2 berths as then it could be used for overnighting too.

A pod would be the easiest option and would free up deck space too making it a bit more suited to angling.

What would the min hp you would need?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
id say around 100 to 150hp max to get the best fuel economy out of it.

would of had a volvo petrol in it originally around 150-170hp id of thought.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
A boat designed to go fast is not necessarily a boat designed to set well at anchor. With a slippery hull like that it could roll unpleasantly. It wouldn't be my choice.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Advice recieved. It's not a big deal if I go for it or not as its not really what I'd like but at that price i am tempted but at the same time I'd have to throw at least £3k at for an engine so you wouldn't be long of spending £5k odd.

Surprised how few projects there are out there which fulfill what I'm wanting, well at least within my budget (house hunting so funds are low for a boat).

In an ideal world I'd want a wheelhouse, 2 berths, diesel inboard (not too fussed about speed) and it's difficult to get one with everything and I'd rather have it focused more towards comfort than angling however it must still be decent for fishing off.

So if anyone knows one knocking about let me know.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
No idea I'm afraid, but a few smaller boats have used a very similar hull design to Teals to good effect - Explorer Elite and Warrior 165 for instance. I think your biggest problem with that boat would be the engine and leg but I assume you would be looking to remove it and add a pod/outboard as with the Sunseeker?

If it's running of course, you should be able to trial it and find out how it is.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No I'd want to keep the inboard assuming it's all ok but the pod could be an option as from what I'm reading I wouldn't need a big lump of an outboard.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Some people swear by Enfield legs but most people seem to swear at them - I would be taking that boat on and offering an amount which assumes the engine and leg will be of no value - it doesn't look like a well looked after boat- which as far as the boat is concerned is probably not a problem if you're looking for a project, but for reliability and peace of mind, personally I would sooner run a modern 150hp ish outboard.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Is it just me but I cringe when I hear the words boat and project put together in what amounts to a rebuild resto job. It's either a massive investment in labour albeit of love and an OTT financial investment that will empty your wallet before you finish and you'll have an overspend that bears nor relation to actual worth. Resto jobs and getting a cheap fixer upper are two completely different things but often confused. IMO far better to take on a known commodity where the repairs and refurb costs are simple and clear and can be budgeted for in advance of purchasing. So in as much as the SS goes, my opinion is run unless you are wealthy in terms of financially, in time and in patience. Same goes for some of that other stuff shown on here. Trying to dress mutton as lamb is futile or bloody expensive and worse, both

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was speaking to the seller earlier. He assures me that the leg and engine are in good order. Only work needing done is cosmetics and a refit inside.

We had half agreed on a price but he says his yard it too small to accommodate a lorry and that's how I'd be getting it so it's looking like back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know what you mean. I wouldn't want to touch a blank hull again unless it was outboard. This would be my 4th or 5th project so it would and I do like the 'finishing' aspect but hate fitting the inboards. As the engine is apparently fitted, running & in decent order it has really tempted me.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Was speaking to the seller earlier. He assures me that the leg and engine are in good order. Only work needing done is cosmetics and a refit inside.

We had half agreed on a price but he says his yard it too small to accommodate a lorry and that's how I'd be getting it so it's looking like back to the drawing board.

That's a bit daft - he clearly has use of a trailer, so why not just tow it out of the yard to a space that will accommodate the lorry.

It's either a massive investment in labour albeit of love and an OTT financial investment that will empty your wallet before you finish and you'll have an overspend that bears nor relation to actual worth.
I think that's the thing - calculate your man hours and you will be completely upside down financially - but do a really nice job with a professional finish that brings it to a 'like new' standard and you could end up with a boat built to your exact needs for a fraction of the financial outlay of buying a new boat of a similar size (£35,000+ in this case) - but you will never be able to sell it for what it owes you, so I think 'labour of love' is a very exact description - just like 99% of classic car rebuilds.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aww I know. Must be seriously tight for space. He did offer to deliver it for me but not payin £600 odd when I could have got it done for a fraction of that (father works in haulage company so I get cheekily good rates)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts