World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Launched from Port eynon a few hours later than planned as we fitted new flush fit rod holders to the boat. They worked a treat!:yeah:

Went out with NO BAIT, WHAT A MONEY SAVING IDEA! praying for Mackeral! Man they are scarce, we drifed for an hour towards the worm, the tide seemed wrong to me, didnt seem to be moving as much as forecast, lost 2 traces on the way, one caught in lobster pot rope!:schmoll: the rope was all slack at 11am, when the tide should have been running!

suddenly, picked up 2 small pollack, dropped a second set of feathers, bang as it hit the bottom, a pollack and a mackeral!!! FINALLY !then nothing, zipped back up, over the same spot, bang two mackeral, then nothing. i then made several passes trolling - nothing! but everytime we drifed the spot, a few came up! we stopped at 10 mackeral, we dont need more than that for two of us. marked the spot, went over with the sonar and it was just a big hole, dropping 5 feet deeper for about 30 feet! we did better than some by the look of it.

We then proceeded back to a tope mark that ive been given, much closer to shore than id imagined but i trusted it. live mackeral on but nothing doing except 5 dogs over the space of an hour on the smaller lines. decided to move, as it was approaching dive time before we knew it, and we wanted to locate an old spot before diving.

Didnt locate our mark that turns out big wrasse, and maybe trigger, its what i wanted to know! Did a dive anyway, picked up a big lobster and a BIG crab, pictured below. really happy with them for one dive!

went round to oxwich to dive the wreck, as per previous threads, ive posted a seperate thread on it or you will get eye strain reading it all!

Left the wreck, went to chris's knoll. Fishing was dogs and some tiny gurnards were nickin all the bait, switched to a small hook to pick up this one pictured!

being too impatient to fish, and my dad moaning that he wanted a lobster too, did a second dive. It was 40 feet deep and 7.30 pm the visability was sooooo bad i didnt think i was ever gona reach the bottom! found a HUGE lobster but he was going no where and i value my fingers so carried on until I picked up the smaller lobster in the picture, still a decent one though, well over the limit!

Recovered the boat at about 9pm, an amazing day despite the lack of BIG fish but i really cant moan, Loved being on the water, loved being IN IT more! Got sun burned cos i was pillock and didnt put cream on again!!!

Sorry for the length, eventful day!! caught around 40 fish between i think!:clap3:

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
awesome report matey..... well done on the shellfish! yum yum

·
Registered
988 Posts
Cracking report mate !!! I havent dived for years . . but your reports are giving me the urge to go up into the loft and revive my old gear!!!

·
Registered
24,894 Posts
Hi All

Launched from Port eynon a few hours later than planned as we fitted new flush fit rod holders to the boat. They worked a treat!:yeah:

Went out with NO BAIT, WHAT A MONEY SAVING IDEA! praying for Mackeral! Man they are scarce, we drifed for an hour towards the worm, the tide seemed wrong to me, didnt seem to be moving as much as forecast, lost 2 traces on the way, one caught in lobster pot rope!:schmoll: the rope was all slack at 11am, when the tide should have been running!

suddenly, picked up 2 small pollack, dropped a second set of feathers, bang as it hit the bottom, a pollack and a mackeral!!! FINALLY !then nothing, zipped back up, over the same spot, bang two mackeral, then nothing. i then made several passes trolling - nothing! but everytime we drifed the spot, a few came up! we stopped at 10 mackeral, we dont need more than that for two of us. marked the spot, went over with the sonar and it was just a big hole, dropping 5 feet deeper for about 30 feet! we did better than some by the look of it.

We then proceeded back to a tope mark that ive been given, much closer to shore than id imagined but i trusted it. live mackeral on but nothing doing except 5 dogs over the space of an hour on the smaller lines. decided to move, as it was approaching dive time before we knew it, and we wanted to locate an old spot before diving.

Didnt locate our mark that turns out big wrasse, and maybe trigger, its what i wanted to know! Did a dive anyway, picked up a big lobster and a BIG crab, pictured below. really happy with them for one dive!

went round to oxwich to dive the wreck, as per previous threads, ive posted a seperate thread on it or you will get eye strain reading it all!

Left the wreck, went to chris's knoll. Fishing was dogs and some tiny gurnards were nickin all the bait, switched to a small hook to pick up this one pictured!

being too impatient to fish, and my dad moaning that he wanted a lobster too, did a second dive. It was 40 feet deep and 7.30 pm the visability was sooooo bad i didnt think i was ever gona reach the bottom! found a HUGE lobster but he was going no where and i value my fingers so carried on until I picked up the smaller lobster in the picture, still a decent one though, well over the limit!

Recovered the boat at about 9pm, an amazing day despite the lack of BIG fish but i really cant moan, Loved being on the water, loved being IN IT more! Got sun burned cos i was pillock and didnt put cream on again!!!

Sorry for the length, eventful day!! caught around 40 fish between i think!:clap3:
LOL Youve done better on diving for them than ive done all week in the pots!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cracking report mate !!! I havent dived for years . . but your reports are giving me the urge to go up into the loft and revive my old gear!!!
Make sure you service your gear!!!!lol

LOL Youve done better on diving for them than ive done all week in the pots!!!
Its hard work if your against the tide, but i know some of the good grounds now and where to start, so i start up tide and go with it! it can be difficult if its a big tide and no vis though!

crabs wise, i could pull them up left right and centre on some spots!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I caught a good size crab on Sunday while fishing for bream, we kept it in a bucket of seawater for a while but put it back felt sorry for it as it was missing a claw. Was bigger than some for sale in the market must have been well above size. Aggressive sod though.

Nice report

1 - 9 of 9 Posts