World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All,
Had a spell on the pier on sunday, was there from about 07.00 til 13.00, sea looked promising but fishing was generally slow. Only fished one rod but tried a variety of set ups and bait including rag,lug,mussel,squid,mackerel. Managed to winkle out a couple of coalies of just over half pound each and a dab of 22cm. Bloke next to me had a coalie of 13 oz on crab and I saw a codling landed about 40 yds up from me (I was on 44) that looked a 2lb+ at least. Recognised the guys face, may be off this site??
There was a match on but cant remember the name of the club, got to know it was a rematch from a match in which everyone had blanked. Dont know how they went on, any info ??? One guy from this club was going up and down the pier taking pics of any caught fish, he said this was because the club was applying for a grant, that might give someone a clue as to the club.
Anyway, weather was good and I didn't blank so thoroughly enjoyed it but would have been nice to land one big enough for the pot!
Reckon I am getting the hang of that mark (44) so will try a new one next time out.

Pete.
ps dab fell to a rig of your design dabcatcher CHEERS!, I think there was a bit too much movement for a 3ft trace so swapped for a 1 up/1down with 18" hook lengths, that took the two coalies.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No worries Paul,
just get the hand sorted mate. Think next time I'm out I will have a go off a beach. That rod of mine is too long for the pier, I know my technique is sh*t but sure I could do better when there is enough room to give it some jip! So if you do fancy some light flattie bashing when the pot comes off give me a shout.

Pete.

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
westohoe..... clubusually have there matches on there on a sunday morning they usually have there red smocks on.

glad you had a nice session and caught something. its the same everywhere at the moment even with a nice sea on.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul,
from a place called Gomersal but went up your way on a night out 3 years ago an now just about live there !, now got a great missus and had a lovely little girl in 05, the commute is a bas***d though because I still work down here.
You know of any jobs going?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Paul,
from a place called Gomersal but went up your way on a night out 3 years ago an now just about live there !, now got a great missus and had a lovely little girl in 05, the commute is a bas***d though because I still work down here.
You know of any jobs going?
sorry mate i dont, well next time your up and going fishing let me no and if the conditions are right i should be able to put you on some good marks mate

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for that Paul,
When I'm up I'm at Wallsend so about middle really as far as travelling goes, I reckon there should be a few marks 1 hours drive away either north or south from there.
Pete.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Nice report Pete,:clap3: I don't manage to get up the pier that often these days so it's great to read reports from bonny old Shields.

Normally this time of year is a bit slow on the pier but towards May things should pick up, with coalies, pollack, plaice and codling showing. The mackeral shoals normally come in during June and these fish are great fun on light gear..

Hopefully we will bump into you on the pier soon. J.V.:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts