World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out in my neighbours boat on the weekend - around the Mew Stone by plymouth - it was a beautiful day, and then about 50yrds away we saw what looked like a basking shark - but as it got closer we noticed it only had the one fin - i.e. no shark tail fin. we could see what at first we thought to be the 'sharks' large white mouth open, but as we edged closer it looked liked the side of the fish. we got to within about 15yrs b4 it spotted us and darted off but im sure it must have been a sunfish - large roundish sides, quite short for the size of fish and a bloody great dorsal fin for the length of fish. Has anyone else seen them around?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hi SeaUrchin. We see one or two from the boat most years, mostly from Falmouth down to Lands End. The wife of a guy I know caught one shore fishing at Newquay headland. Hooked it fair and square in the mouth while float fishing for mackerel. Apparently it put up a fair old scrap!

:) KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sunfish are really strange critters. I remember about five years ago one summer, was out in my mates boat off the north Cornwall coast around Port Isaac.

Had already seen a couple that year, but one day we happened across one that must have been well over a metre in diameter, it was huge.

But the weird thing was as we went past it in the boat, it just sort of threw itself clear of the water, it must have been getting at least 1 foot of air between itself and the surface. It did this about 4 or five times in succession as we went past it.

If you've ever seen one you'll know why this looked so bizarre and comical. They are the most unelegant, awkward and physically stunted looking fish you've ever seen.

Never have found out if there is any reason for such odd and apparently pointless behaviour.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i have heard that in the right conditions, these things can grow to the size of a double decker bus!!!
that will go like hell in the tide!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mr Kriss is right, sun fish are really strange creatures and not a lot is known about them. As weeverboys says, we see them regularly down here in the warm waters of Cornwall, and in fact one of the charter boats out of my home port here actually netted one to get a better look at it. It was a baby at just 42 pounds, and was returned to the sea, of course, but the picture makes a pretty good advert in the shop!!! For some of the best pictures on the Net of Mola Mola have a look at http://www.earthwindow.com/mola2.html For me they are magical creatures and whenever I see one when I'm out in the boat, which is several times a year, I always stop and linger by it for a moment. I get the feeling that I'm in its environment and that it's saying something like, "OK you've had our look now leave me alone", and I do...........

Cheers.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Looks like there is a few about we spotted one about 2 weeks ago from the boat about 5miles off the mouth to the Avon (mothecombe). Saw one last year off of Lanacome bay & seen them years ago in Whitsandbay. We wer in a tiny dingy thought it was a shark so rowed up to it befor it flapped off.

Good to see mind.

Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
I saw 2 off Fowey last week(12 & 14 July),1 dustbin lid size,the other considerably bigger!!But as usual, when going in for closer look, they dive off out of sight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
saw one in the river avon in bigbury in october 2006 going up the mouth of the river avon, it was so strange because it seemed like it was struggling and you could see it sticking out of the water! was only about the size of a beach ball in width!

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Sunfish are really strange critters. I remember about five years ago one summer, was out in my mates boat off the north Cornwall coast around Port Isaac.

Had already seen a couple that year, but one day we happened across one that must have been well over a metre in diameter, it was huge.

But the weird thing was as we went past it in the boat, it just sort of threw itself clear of the water, it must have been getting at least 1 foot of air between itself and the surface. It did this about 4 or five times in succession as we went past it.

If you've ever seen one you'll know why this looked so bizarre and comical. They are the most unelegant, awkward and physically stunted looking fish you've ever seen.

Never have found out if there is any reason for such odd and apparently pointless behaviour.
mr kriss the reason for them displaying this behavior is trying to rid theirselfs of parasites they sometimes lie at the surface to let gulls peck them off, the breaching i must admit i have seen only the one time more like 2 ft though and a real wtf was that moment

·
Registered
24,559 Posts
Sunfish43 on here has actually landed one off his boat,pic of it in his avatar! Ive never seen one in the flesh,must be very interesting to watch one mooching about!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Saw my first sunfish of the year last Thursday off the mouth of the Dart.
Must mean the summer is here! Who am I kidding - more like the middle of Winter this week!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have seen sunfish a couple of times when fishing Port Gaverne (and sharks, lots of them swimming about under your feet, it can be a little unnerving). Mind you, this was 15 years ago, it is time I gave the place another try :)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
mr kriss the reason for them displaying this behavior is trying to rid theirselfs of parasites they sometimes lie at the surface to let gulls peck them off, the breaching i must admit i have seen only the one time more like 2 ft though and a real wtf was that moment
Saw this last year m8, I got hold of the Nat Marine Aquarium, and he told me just as you said Mr M ;)
The one I saw turned a shade of red and breached to the surface, and I was told they do this to attract the gulls which in turn remove the parasites, once the fish had had enough, it gracefully dived down and was gone. Amazing sight to see!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
they also jump out of the water when they are hooked!

I managed to hook one (in the mouth on a floatfished sliver of mackerel) off the Welsh coast a few years back, and it went mental and jumped 3 times - clean out of the water! the missus was with me and sh1t herself LOL!!!

Fish was an estimated 15 - 20lb and came off just before I could grab it!

Dan

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Hi Chaps

According to Wiki (pinch of salt required)

Leaping is one of the ways they dislodge parasites and they have been known to leap on boats occasionally, (the largest ever recorded was 3600 lbs !!) they also use birds and cleaner wrasse to help rid themselves of a known 40 types of parasites which reside internally and externally. quote

ouch

FF

1 - 17 of 17 Posts