World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not at all but at under a £10 for 600mtr has to be worth a try.
If it is as good as they make it out to be it's a bargain.
that's what I was thinking and the shock leader 300m for the price or less than 100m of normal stuff

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
The leader would be good for snoods too as no memory plus a lot cheaper than Amnesia, the 0.35 line with a claimed breaking strain of 44.6lb needs testing as this seems too good to be true,

·
Registered
737 Posts
Tried it a few years back and it's a nice line, very supply, casts well and lovely to use but....take the breaking strain with a big pinch of salt and go by diameter instead.

Think this says it all...."Please Note : Awa-Shima breaking strains have been obtained using their extensive team of professional testers in real fishing situations and not by a machine"

Also found it to not be particularly abrasion resistant so fine for clean ground. Knots tend to slip because it's such a smooth line and having used it a few times.....would stick with Daiwa sensor or something similar that's Been tried and tested.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I bought some '12lb' for spinning and it would crack off with a 16grm wedge. So I made pop up hook snoods with it and a mackerel would take the hook off. It seems to work ok in the bin and has caused no trouble since :) must have had one of those 'bad spools'
Incidentally how can you tell the b/s of a line in a real world fishing situation? Bloke had a 110lb blue shark in Cornwall on 12lb mono last year, that surely doesn't mean that now it's 110lb instead of 12 surely?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
He didn't lift it out of the water did he lol, lots of records have been had using fine lines on big fish,

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
He didn't lift it out of the water did he lol, lots of records have been had using fine lines on big fish,
Don't think he did, no :) it was, however, on a fin nor fixed spool reel because he had a physical liability that prevents him from using a multiplier. Quite something :)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have been using it for about three years now 0.28 up to 0.32 on different fixed spools and 0.32 to 0.35 on multis . The lower diameter line with the tapered leader is superb on the fixed spools and has landed many double undulates (0.28) on clean ground cast great and last well not for the really rough ground but for clean to mixed is brilliant si

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Tried it a few years back and it's a nice line, very supply, casts well and lovely to use but....take the breaking strain with a big pinch of salt and go by diameter instead.

Think this says it all...."Please Note : Awa-Shima breaking strains have been obtained using their extensive team of professional testers in real fishing situations and not by a machine"

Also found it to not be particularly abrasion resistant so fine for clean ground. Knots tend to slip because it's such a smooth line and having used it a few times.....would stick with Daiwa sensor or something similar that's Been tried and tested.
So not that new then.

Had missed the not tested bit last night as I was shattered.
I would have thought trading standards would have been alover this by now.
How can they claim a B/S when it has never been tested they have no facts or figures to back this claim up.

Will steer clear now as I like to know what I am using.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Used it in 2008/2009 I think. On the beach and boat and ended up binning all of it.

Not sure how they test it but did my own rudimentary tests with an old set of scales and 4ft lengths of various breaking strains of awashima and daiwa sensor.... Sensor broke at pretty much the stated breaking strain, awashima approx half. Not exactly scientific but enough to put me off.

Also heard/read somewhere that the breaking strains have been worked out incorrectly....... 0.35mm stated at 15.7kg when it should be 15lb, 0.40 being 20lb not 20.5kg etc...

.......That would certainly make sense.

Is it a wonder line? No.

Is it a line that If bought by diameter instead of BS and used in the appropriate manner (clean ground) that would be brilliant in its own right? Probably.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Used it in 2008/2009 I think. On the beach and boat and ended up binning all of it.

Not sure how they test it but did my own rudimentary tests with an old set of scales and 4ft lengths of various breaking strains of awashima and daiwa sensor.... Sensor broke at pretty much the stated breaking strain, awashima approx half. Not exactly scientific but enough to put me off.

Also heard/read somewhere that the breaking strains have been worked out incorrectly....... 0.35mm stated at 15.7kg when it should be 15lb, 0.40 being 20lb not 20.5kg etc...

.......That would certainly make sense.

Is it a wonder line? No.

Is it a line that If bought by diameter instead of BS and used in the appropriate manner (clean ground) that would be brilliant in its own right? Probably.

only problem with that is the reason for buying it falls on its arse if you say that lol

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Just go with the Teklon Gold, superb line, not cheap but you get what you pay for, 300 yards of .4 with a breaking strain of 43 pound plus, its good stuff.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
The only thin wonder mono I quite like is the rovex xts, super value, seems to work quite well, not bad line all things considered.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
3rd vote for the awa shima doing well in the bin, none of the superslim lines any good that I've tried lose what little strength they had too quick.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
3rd vote for the awa shima doing well in the bin, none of the superslim lines any good that I've tried lose what little strength they had too quick.
4th vote for the bin.... Each to their own but only used it once and hated it with a passion. Fished it on my 7HT on a blustery day and was actually getting wind knot's in it whilst rod in the rest.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts