World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow!! Finally some wind. I have always maintained my best results have come from settled weather, whereas this year, I havent really had any results. Well, tonight the wind blew, and my client caught an open sea bass fit for the table (only in the 2lb bracket, but he dropped a proper one)

First stop, Southwick. Ten rods, and a sea the colour of gorilla pubes told me not to even cast. Second stop, Fat boys back garden. A chat with a wind surfing instructor whom I must admit I got a bit heavy with last time we met, when his pupil was dragged through my clients lines, and possibly a contact through whom we (anglers) might be able to come up with some code of conduct to share the beach more peacfully. Anyhow, one cast and weed central.

I had been on the beach with the dog, wife and daughter in the day, up towards the brighton end. IT looked weed clear. Out of desperation I took my client there before heading for tidemills. Weed free, and some fish!! The storm shortened the session, as I was going to drag him elsewhere later, but he had caught his tea and was happy. And after my other blank client sessions this week, so was I.

So, how did anybody fare down on Southwick?

·
Registered
840 Posts
2 schoolies for me Robin, just back. Only fished for an hour and a half. I fished where the kite surfers were......although they were packing up as I arrived. Digging difficult as stones all the way along about 14 inches down. Very poor tbh.

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,034 Posts
1 missed take for fishergateman but no fish for him or angryhammer, weed but fishable if not left out for too long apparentley, they saw a couple come out with the biggest around the 3lb mark.....i'm going to have a bash 2moz but bit put off with the weed with it being even windier 2moz, might head towards brighton to escape the weed then, you near the pier Rob?

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
Just back in from a LW session on LA's beaches, 1st cast a 43cm Bass and weed but I had left it out 20mins while digging Lug, tomorrow's tea sorted and finally a meal sized Bass :icecream: 2nd cast a proper slack liner and a decent little scrap in the surf resulted in a very plump 51cm Bass that was saved from my stomach by the first Bass. From then on it was at least one Bass per cast, 2 hooks, but none of them managed to break the 30cm mark. No more weed but sand everywhere, drenched by a very very heavy 3minute shower and quite a bit of lightening off shore. I quit after 2.5rs.

Very different to fishing Brighton beaches, waders essential as I was fishing 100-150yds from the waters edge. Feel alive again after getting a bit of weather in my face and finding some reasonable Bass :fishing:

P

·
0 Posts
Just back in from a LW session on LA's beaches, 1st cast a 43cm Bass and weed but I had left it out 20mins while digging Lug, tomorrow's tea sorted and finally a meal sized Bass :icecream: 2nd cast a proper slack liner and a decent little scrap in the surf resulted in a very plump 51cm Bass that was saved from my stomach by the first Bass. From then on it was at least one Bass per cast, 2 hooks, but none of them managed to break the 30cm mark. No more weed but sand everywhere, drenched by a very very heavy 3minute shower and quite a bit of lightening off shore. I quit after 2.5rs.

Very different to fishing Brighton beaches, waders essential as I was fishing 100-150yds from the waters edge. Feel alive again after getting a bit of weather in my face and finding some reasonable Bass :fishing:
PP,you suprise me....you mean to say you can't cast 100yrds from the
waters edge....you look to cast ok when i saw you down selsey..lol

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 schoolies for me Robin, just back. Only fished for an hour and a half. I fished where the kite surfers were......although they were packing up as I arrived. Digging difficult as stones all the way along about 14 inches down. Very poor tbh.
Crab was working BETTER THAN FRESHOUTS at the Brighton end....!!!!

Salty - right next to the pier.... :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I spent a couple of hours at Southwick yesterday (ironically i was thinking about the sheltered area of tidemills but changed my mind while driving down). Got there too early so tried Shoreham arm east for a while while I was waiting for the surf to pick up. One schoolie, 1 flounder and a decent sizable sole from the inside.

Spent about an hour in the surf at Southwick. Weed was troublesome however 2 schoolies on black lug.

The surf looked perfect but as has been the norm for a while the results don't come close to this time last year.

I seem to remeber about 4-5 weeks of really bad weed all along the coast from shoreham to seaford this time last year too.

Anybody know how the current big blow is affecting the conditions. Was hoping the big tides this week would clear everyhting out however the winds could just make things worse.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had a dabble last night too....

I went armed with Baby Cuttle, Squid, Crab (which didn't get used) and fresh outs.

Got down to Southwick at about 12 to fish the high too... When I first arrived the weed was confined to the first 10 metres so you put fuzz one out, keep the rod high (was fishing a pair of 5m rods with the butt 3ft off the floor) and happy days.... Let the rod tip drop at your peril.

High tide came and went, had one very good take an hour after high on a "Pulley Pennel a la DVice" baited with whole squid bound into a sausage with elastic. Had a nice fight with the fish kiting around, no chance of it taking line on the big guns though. Anyway, lost the fish about ten yards out, on inspection of the hook link (20lb fluro), no hooks and a lot of fray, looked like it had rubbed up and down a camels inside leg.:banghead:

Tide dropped, surf came, changed to running lead rigs, one on whole squid and baby cuttle for the big girls, the other on freshouts... thought I was FR's head pop over the wall.... A bit of an anti climax really, ended up with a couple of schoolies which came just after the turn, which coincidenatlly was when the weed picked up again after being fine for a couple of hours. Packed up quite p1ssed off actually....:cc_surren

Still there's always next time. :fishing1:

·
Not Always Angry
257 Posts
Wow!! Finally some wind. I have always maintained my best results have come from settled weather, whereas this year, I havent really had any results. Well, tonight the wind blew, and my client caught an open sea bass fit for the table (only in the 2lb bracket, but he dropped a proper one)

First stop, Southwick. Ten rods, and a sea the colour of gorilla pubes told me not to even cast. Second stop, Fat boys back garden. A chat with a wind surfing instructor whom I must admit I got a bit heavy with last time we met, when his pupil was dragged through my clients lines, and possibly a contact through whom we (anglers) might be able to come up with some code of conduct to share the beach more peacfully. Anyhow, one cast and weed central.

I had been on the beach with the dog, wife and daughter in the day, up towards the brighton end. IT looked weed clear. Out of desperation I took my client there before heading for tidemills. Weed free, and some fish!! The storm shortened the session, as I was going to drag him elsewhere later, but he had caught his tea and was happy. And after my other blank client sessions this week, so was I.

So, how did anybody fare down on Southwick?

Thought i saw a white citroen burning up and down like it had been knicked!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
surf beaches they aint,but the rocks are doing well,friday night should do well again and robin, im free sat night for an all nighter,got the spot lined up! give me a bell if you fancy it?,sorry southwick isnt doing great ,i hope it will get better with less weed for you in the next few days,although it will probably hang around until after this little blow:headhurt:

·
Now in Littlehampton
3,474 Posts
Just back in again from a short 1.5hr session, big Lug baits only again, a slightly different spot which wasn't intentional as the beach has changed quite a bit since yesterday and with the dirty water it took me a while to suss I was on the other side of the sand spit I fished yesterday.

Weed everywhere on the beaches, first 60yds on the ebb was also thick with the stuff but that compressed down to 20yds on the flood. Big fish cruising in the weed though on its outer edge, far to big for GG's so either Thick lips or Bass, didn't get a great look but one fish that looked about 6lb looked more Bass than Mullet. Not that much surf as there didn't seem to be any swell so when the wind died so did the waves but the water was very dirty.

Hit a different stamp of fish today getting seven in the 30-36cm range, a bit of fun but I think next time I might try some Squid baits for some bigger fish.

Puddleman my casting is ok but when I say I was 100-150yds out that was where I was standing, casting and fishing from trying to fish the back of an offshore sandbank where all the wave action is, the inner bit is sheltered by this until the tide floods enough. So unless you can teach me how to cast 200yds with two 10" lug baits into 25mph winds I think I'll stick to the waders :crazy:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
lots of weed down this way if that helps but our waves been a bit bigger . the weed seems to of really bloomed this year . hopefuly these dropping tide may leave the weed on the beaches ! good luck

·
Registered
701 Posts
Went down last night with the lure kit.... WEED

Fished all the way alond from the Lagoon to the Arm....

Inside the harbour showed the most action.... by a fish that I couldn't see, pecking my boot, don't know who was more shocked by my action of jumping 10ft in the air, me or the fish...

But one thing I will say is WEED.... the surfers tried to convince a couple of chaps to carry on fishing through as they had seen some fair sized fishes but WEED

·
Registered
978 Posts
I fished Tide mills last night using fresh out blacks. Result was 1 schoolie first cast. 2 guys fished to my right also caught at the same time, 1 schoolie and another about 2 to 3lb.

As the tide flooded the weed came on and quickly became became unfishable. I decided to move and try the other end of Seaford, but the weed was even worse there.

But a pleasant evening in spite of the weed, and at least I avoided a blank.

·
WSF Hardcore Angler
4,034 Posts
i popped down brighton beach last night, there was weed but easier to manage than southwick/ hove, a stretch of a 150yards seemed to have a lot less weed than the rest!....had a 36cm (short but very plump she was too) first cast to black lug and a missed take on macky fillet but saved the blank, a lot of limpets, crabs etc that washed ashore, tried a few but no luck with these....hope the weed doesn't hang around too long as i'd like to get a high water session in this nicely coloured water as soon as possible

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Well done Tommy,Im out tomorrow night but not sure where yet,if Brighton beach isnt as bad i may try there for a Spike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts