World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
don't wish to sound funny,but having the best rod/reel won't make a better caster.i only say this because i have been there,if you can afford it find a casting expert to teach you,if not try johnholden.co.uk or ian mc kellow's website(not to sure about the spelling,don't have his address to hand at mo)hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

We have a member on the Forum who is an excellent Casting Instructor. For obvious reasons I cannot name him, however he might at some time or another just divulge himself and offer some advice.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
the length of the cast doesnt really matter..... it depends where you fish? i would like to cast 600yards to get in to the deep channel here in poole harbour. on chesil beach a 30 meter lob is often better than a 200 meter long cast as most fish are in at you feet there. distance casting is best practiced over a field with no one else about, just some one to watch your style and tell you how your rod compresses as you cast. then you can try each cast until you get the distance you want. a single lead will travel a long way if you want to cast a rig that you would use on the beach... change the hooks for the kids rubber animals...up or down rigs use a little bit of telephone wire to stop the baits coming off the hook clips.

what ever you do please don't just yank the lead back towards you......the lead travels very quickly and might hit you....HARD!!!

hope it helps :cool:

·
Registered
465 Posts
paid4tackledealersroller said:
Hmmmmmm anonymus casting instructor , who could he be ?
I think that will be me! might be more of us though?

As the guys have already said, you cant buy distance. Its a sound casting style and well tuned tackle that will get you the distance you are after.

Our fellow casters over the pond get some very good distances with the purglass rods you mention so theres nowt wrong with the rod. Get a bit of casting tuition and go from there it could be the rods a bit too powerfull? and you are not compressing the blank? dont know much about them but thats one option. Do you know of any casters that use the rod you have? what distances are they getting?

All the best guys Ryan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts