World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I would be grateful of any advice.

This year, although I have caught alot of bass, I decided that I would try my best to get one on a surface plug. I recently found a mark here in County Clare which looked like it had great potential for plugging.

It was near another mark that apparently doesnt fish well on the flood to bait but we tried it on the flood anyway as we were eager to see if it would produce to plugs

Today myself and a mate of mine went there and first cast he had one of about 2lb+ on a sub surface plug, chuffed :thumbs: we fished for a while and noticed a good few fish chashing our lures in and turning off.

Eventually we went further down away from the mark to a very nice cove, that had bass written all over it, to have our last few casts of the day.

First cast with a LC Gunfish 115 and as I brought the lure over some submerged weed, wham!! a bass slammed into it but no hook up.

Two or three cast later and another bass came and made a huge splash as it hit the lure but again no hook up.

I really enjoyed it, heart in mouth stuff to see, but is there anyway I could increase my chance of a hook up?

I was fishing the gunfish on a mono leader on braid with a snap clip up front.

Cheers :thumbs:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ok man here is my ten cents! First off I recently stopped using leaders cause they are a weak point.. But with the gunnish try slowing down a bit if fish are missing the lure, if you get hit and missed then stop the lure let it sit then twitch it a couple of times as the fish are often underneath the lure and will come again... Check out Mr fish for some smashing surface plugs in particular the pistacheio!!!! really called the patchinko an awesome surface bait... try a slug go over kelp really effective and you can fish them very slowly... Its heart stopping stuff allright..:clap:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok man here is my ten cents! First off I recently stopped using leaders cause they are a weak point.. But with the gunnish try slowing down a bit if fish are missing the lure, if you get hit and missed then stop the lure let it sit then twitch it a couple of times as the fish are often underneath the lure and will come again... Check out Mr fish for some smashing surface plugs in particular the pistacheio!!!! really called the patchinko an awesome surface bait... try a slug go over kelp really effective and you can fish them very slowly... Its heart stopping stuff allright..:clap:
Cheers Padge :thumbs:

I was fishing the gunfish in short fast spurts while twitching the rop tip from side to side and letting it stop for a few seconds every now and then, not sure if this is right but it was getting their attention :laugh:

Makes sense what you are saying about stopping, I probably got excited and kept going!

I had some slug-go in silver pepper shiner that I had tried earlier, rigged on a gamakatsu EWG, with a 20gm lead sliding in front of hook ( Texas style??), but this was over deeper water. I had about 70+ packs of different soft baits sent over from USA by a mate so am only experimenting with them now.

Like you said, I should have tried them over the weeded area where I was getting the action. Will do next time though!

Mush check out that pestachio too :laugh: all ye pluggers are giving it great praise.

cheers for the help Padge!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Mate,
the other response was talking real sense. The gunfish is a superb lure and caught me many bass. As far as different speeds etc are concerned, you need to mix and match it to different conditions. One thing about the Gunfish - you can work it in quite choppy conditions, unlike many of the other surface lures. It is more bouyant and a bit of a walk the dog / popper hybrid. My advice is to give it some frantic action initially then slow it down. This attracts fish then a slower speed gives better hooking rates. I find that you get lots of takes that don't connect whatever, but that is the joy of topwater fishing! It is the dry fly of lure fishing. Patchinko is excellent and for really calm water nothing beats the LC Sammy.
Check out www.basslures.co.uk - they stock lots of LC and have Slug-go's.
On the subject of which - I suggest no weights on Slug-go's - it ruins the action. They are designed to be fished without any weight. If you want to fish them deep use a 9" one and be patient and let it sink.
Good luck - now onwards is topwater time

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
The boys have hit the nail on the head. If you are getting rises it is always worth slowing down and also completly stopping, as they will take a plug that isnt moving. The Gunnish is one of my favourites and the Patchinko too, I use them both every time I go out no matter what the conditions. Here is a little clip of me a couple of weeks ago catching a schoolie, notice how I make the lure twitch erratically and then completly stop it briefly as the bass was swirling around it. I love it!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce9aMitDskg

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers guys!

Bob lunker, I really appreciate the advice on the gunfish, I love the action of it and feel very cofident using it for some reason. as for the Slug-gos, I got alot of the tips for fishing the from a few lads I know on the bass fishing circuit in the USA but I will try them without lead. I think, as Padge said, they will be wicked over weed too.

Mr. Fish: Thanks very much for your advice too! :thumbs: That clip was cool!! I love the gunfish but must try a patchinko too.

Ive put in alot of time this year just searching for new marks that might suit plugging and Sunday although I missed out, I at least knew the bass were going for my lures plus my friend had one.

today my younger brother got his first proper bass on another mark, 73cm! on a yo-zuri mullet something or other, he said it was an old plug and small too. this mark has potential though, i sent him there when I should have been there myself LOL Thank you work gggrrrrr!! lol

now I got to play catch up again lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts