World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to fish the top 3 hours of the tide at Llangennith yesterday evening.

When I arrived at 5 I walked left of the stream, found a nice space several hundred yards from the nearest surfer and started to fish. I was disappointed to see that the forecast surf of 2 - 4 feet was at least twice that and the water was almost as dirty as the foreshore. There was also a tsunami type surge of about 2ft every 2 or 3 minutes as some big, flat swell from mid atlantic rolled in. The first one almost caught me out and nearly went over the top of my waders, soaking the bottom of my jacket.

Within 15 minutes I had surfers in front of me as more and more arrived at the beach. I tried to move, but they had taken over the entire beach. Worse still a group of 10 morons started pi**ing about close in in front of me so I could not even fish in close for the GGs. Ended up sitting on my tackle box until after 7 until they all wandered off into the night. Fished til top of tide for 2 tiny bass then gave up, threw almost £20 of bait into the sea and went home. A perfect day ended with a 5 mile stretch of M4 closed due to roadworks.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Only after there is a serious injury, or a death, will there be any form of bye law that separates anglers & surfers on that beach, there is plenty of room for both but until somebody sticks some sort of official sign up that says "Surfers Only to the left, Anglers only to the right" & that will have to include those looney tunes with the kites who should be restricted to at least 300mts offshore. Do that & EVERYBODY will be able to do their thing without interfering with anybody else. Come on City & County of Swansea DO SOME POSITIVE FOR A CHANGE instead of sitting on your thumbs, & thinking that giving the Knab Car Park away to the dinghy races is all you have to do for water sports! :devilish::devilish::devilish:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Always found that a few six once leads cast their way tends to wake them up. to the fact that you are fishing there..seems to work after all it's every body's beach
And not just for surfers...
Always stayed clear of people fishing from the beach
While out fishing off the kayak..as I didn't want to be hit by a lead weight..???

G

·
When I first started back sea fishing..i practically lived down at genith fishing etc..
I had the same probs as you with surfers being in the same place I wanted to fish!
It happens that we all need the surf.us for flounder bass and them for their surfing

I was lucky enough to have use of a caravan for a while..so when off work weekend
I would walk down to the beach on a onshore wind with perfect rollers waves
And just watch them surf types for ages doing what they love best!
IT DIDN'T matter how big llangenith is,they were concentrated on the area just left perhaps 50 yards of the left stream and then around 1/4 mile up towards the Holmes!

It don't matter if there were a dozen in the surf or up to a hundred surfing
They just congregate this particular area..........

Over the years now If we fish genith its give them a big berth to the left(fair walk)
Or to the right up towards the holmes(again fair walk)
If I'm fishing alone tho I head for rhosilli park up down the path to the beach and walk out to the tide line..only trouble I ever had there I'd the occasional dog walkers mutt sniffing around my bait bucket.....or very best of all have a nice all nighter on the rhosilli ledges..stunning...........

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Braid is excellent for garotting in unwary surfers.

Seriously though it seems to be a problem everywhere with other water users not respecting peoples space.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I first started back sea fishing..i practically lived down at genith fishing etc..
I had the same probs as you with surfers being in the same place I wanted to fish!
It happens that we all need the surf.us for flounder bass and them for their surfing

I was lucky enough to have use of a caravan for a while..so when off work weekend
I would walk down to the beach on a onshore wind with perfect rollers waves
And just watch them surf types for ages doing what they love best!
IT DIDN'T matter how big llangenith is,they were concentrated on the area just left perhaps 50 yards of the left stream and then around 1/4 mile up towards the Holmes!

It don't matter if there were a dozen in the surf or up to a hundred surfing
They just congregate this particular area..........

Over the years now If we fish genith its give them a big berth to the left(fair walk)
Or to the right up towards the holmes(again fair walk)
If I'm fishing alone tho I head for rhosilli park up down the path to the beach and walk out to the tide line..only trouble I ever had there I'd the occasional dog walkers mutt sniffing around my bait bucket.....or very best of all have a nice all nighter on the rhosilli ledges..stunning...........

On this occasion the wind was offshore and surfers spread all the way from the white house to Burry Holmes. there were several hundred of them - I have never seen so many. There was no particular area where the surf was better, it was a good 6ft plus the length of the beach. To be honest, the good surfers were riding the bigger waves about 3-400 yards out and not coming in too close. It was the less skilled who kept getting washed in I was worried about. You couldn't see them until they suddenly appeared from the waves like a drunken seal. The nutters who twice moved infront of me were in a different league. Just body surfing about 50 yards out, they could have done that anywhere along the beach. They were just being bl**dy stupid and inconsiderate.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Had people walk in front of line...tangled in line..dogs the same....that the ones left to do what they want....only odd ones as most fine.....

G

·
On this occasion the wind was offshore and surfers spread all the way from the white house to Burry Holmes. there were several hundred of them - I have never seen so many. There was no particular area where the surf was better, it was a good 6ft plus the length of the beach. To be honest, the good surfers were riding the bigger waves about 3-400 yards out and not coming in too close. It was the less skilled who kept getting washed in I was worried about. You couldn't see them until they suddenly appeared from the waves like a drunken seal. The nutters who twice moved infront of me were in a different league. Just body surfing about 50 yards out, they could have done that anywhere along the beach. They were just being bl**dy stupid and inconsiderate.
Why didnt you just move on then?!:veryconfused:
This was a one off occasion for you SM
But..It's what happens there year in year out for probably donkey years..surfing is a hobby just like our sea fishing..all I said in my post was about giving each other space..or try the rhosilli end..did you get any pictures of the awful experience you had:rolleyes:..or any fish pictures:laugh:

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
Bet the surfers are out today... Swamped

1 - 20 of 21 Posts