World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am likely to buy one next week or maybe the lx i think it is
mostly sandy beaches like pendine amroth ginst etc but in the winter hobs and rough ground.
Any info much appreciated I am just looking for a quality rod that will do most things so I dont have to buy another

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I've got the Suveran XP mate. I use it as a second rod to my Kompressor Sport in winter for piers, mixed ground or rough seas. It's not a rough ground rod, but could be used at a push.

The tip is quite firm on it, but it does still show bites. I personally think it's as much as an all rounder as you could get for the money. Having a soft tip rod (like my TDXS 129PM) and then a rock rod is the ideal, and anything else is likely to fall a bit short on the bite detection and fun playing the fish when fishing for smaller fish on calmer days.

Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got the Suveran XP mate. I use it as a second rod to my Kompressor Sport in winter for piers, mixed ground or rough seas. It's not a rough ground rod, but could be used at a push.

The tip is quite firm on it, but it does still show bites. I personally think it's as much as an all rounder as you could get for the money. Having a soft tip rod (like my TDXS 129PM) and then a rock rod is the ideal, and anything else is likely to fall a bit short on the bite detection and fun playing the fish when fishing for smaller fish on calmer days.

Hope this helps.
Cheers for the info Mike

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
i had an xp - had it all over the east coast with no probs.
used it in mixed/rough ground, kelp beds etc.
will handle all but the worst conditions!!
dont know bout the sx - think its just a softer rod than the xp.
PS

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Why not try a surf rod if you mainly fish on sandy beachs? Look at the Greys BZe 3-5oz for £110, it also doubles as a nice light beachcaster with plenty of power. Alternatively you could get the Century Tip Tornado Lite or a Conoflex Source, both good light match rods, however both have a price tag around £200. The Shakespeare Odessa Bass, Mustad 116 Lite and Abu Premium Bass are all nice light surf style rods all costing around £50. From the venues you have described i think that one of these type rods will be more suitable and give you more sport.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I would advise buy a separate rod for rough ground though. You will never find a rod that will do all tasks well. Look at the Suveran XP, Penn Ruff Stuff, Mustad 126PM and Ron Thompson Axcellerator all are good heavy ground rods. You could actually buy the Mustad 126 and the 116 Lite from Glasgow Angling Center for about £50 a piece in there sale at the moment. That way you have a rod for each situation, and you could fish two rods on other venues.

www.fishingmegastore.com

Have a look and see what you think.

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi, ive tried both the sx and rx both good rods the sx over clean to mixed ground chucking out sandeels etc and the rx if you need better bite detection or like a longer rod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts