World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am about to take delivery of a Warrior 165, with a Suzuki 70hp 4-stroke.

However, I have not considered the possibility of the engine failing. My previous boat (many years ago) had twin 40's, and so this was not a concern. How reliable are these machines, and is the sensible thing to do is purchase an auxiliary?

Also, are auxiliaries permanently fitted on the brackets, or stowed away?

Lastly, there seems to be a special offer on the 4hp Suzuki. My concern would be that this is steered by a "handle" - not sure of the correct word. Would this "handle" be accesible from the back of the boat?

Thanks

Pross

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
the 'handle' of which you speak... AKA "tiller"

yeah its a pain having to steer from the back, but far less so than twiddling your thumbs several mile sout with no engine! you can get tiller extenions if you think you won't be able to reach over the splash well

4hp will shove it along, but it'll be displacement speeds only, so 4 or 5 knots perhaps flat out.

Generally, fitted to the bracket ready for immediate action should the need arise. picture the scenario, your close to a shoaling reef, main engine fails, seas getting lumpier all the time due to the reef... do you really want to be hauling a half hundred weight of engine around on a bouncy boat.... the potential for it going overboard as you try to fit it is fairly high, based on the law of sod saying if it can go wrong it probably will.

so in such a situation, you're auxilliary is there ready to be pulled into life and get you to relative safety.

strap it on the bracket and leave it there. I always run both the main and the aux when I'm leaving the marina, just so I feel happier knowing that the aux has been started that day and in an emergency, is less likely to provide me with additional BTM's (brown trouser moments)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
If you have to use the small engine set it ahead at the speed you want and steer using the main engine as a rudder, there will be some drag from it but it is easier than trying to steer from the stern and normally will give you a better view ahead.

There is normally a screw on the leg of a small engine that alters the steering friction, set it reasonably tight and the engine will stay in the position you point it.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
i have a 4hp 4 stroke aux susuki and found to be a good motor, i use mine alot to come to the slip with as this saves buggering up the main engine prop in the mud as my slip is quiet shallow;.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Pross - do a search on here, I've posted quite a bit on this engine. Some good some bad, but on the whole if it's still £500 it's a bargain as it's really a 6hp in disguise. Because of this it's heavy which means you won't want to be lugging it about by hand, and also why IMHO you should fit it low down in the well. ChrisP is absolutely right about using the (dead) main engine as a rudder. In fact I tried steering the boat using the suzuki tiller with the main engine tilted up. It was hopeless, the boat was all over the place. He's also right about the speed 4knots at about 2/3 throttle and not much point in trying to get any more.
If it's a new Warrior 165 with matching 70 and 4hp suzuki's on the back it will looks the dog's danglies
Beware that the 4hp comes without any facility of using it with an external tank, but if you are prepared to buy some bits and reroute pipes you can modify it so it's the same as the 5 and 6hp units which do come with an external tank tap
Mike

T

·
0 Posts
...I hope they are OK as I have just invested in one (half an hour ago) and a little 2.7m inflatable for teaching my 5 year old the basics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pick up my pro angler this week, i have gone for the 4hp suzuki aux engine and aux bracket set up.Good discount on engine and more than enough power to push a warrior home.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies...

Dale, why the need for an auxiliary mount if it can be mounted on the transom. What are the advantages / disadvantages?

Cheers

Pross

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanks for the replies...

Dale, why the need for an auxiliary mount if it can be mounted on the transom. What are the advantages / disadvantages?

Cheers

Pross
Mine is mounted low down but on a bracket rather than directly on the transom. I always use the parallelogram in the up postion and have assumed that the bracket is necessary. I still think it is as otherwise the auxilliary would be trailing in the water even fully tilted up ..... but you've got me thinking :g:
I guess you could take the view that you would run the boat on the main engine but with the auxiliary in its running position but 'off'. The drag created from the auxiliary's stationary prop would though surely be very high.
Warrior mount them high up on the outermost part of the stern. IMHO this is not a good place for an engine that weighs best part of 30kg with fuel.
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts