World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if information is available of a more technical nature than is supplied in the owner's handbook.
I'm thinking particularly of engine power and torque curves, and also what is changed when Suzuki detunes an engine to produce one with a lower nominal power rating (ie how the electronics adjusts things, or whether the engine is fitted with lower compression pistions etc.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Alan - I never thought to look in their own brochures.
I'm even more intrigued now because when you look at those torque curves you would think oh wow - there's no competition the 70 is the one to go for (rather than the detuned 60). But when you look more closely they are not even comparing the two engines. The DT65C is a smaller 2stroke engine of only 900cc whereas the DF60 is of course the same as the 70 (about 1300cc)
To be fair to Suzuki they are using the graphs to show why you should buy a 4 stroke rather than a 2 stroke .... but I'd still love to see the DF60s graphs on the same chart as the DF70s

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm thinking particularly of engine power and torque curves, and also what is changed when Suzuki detunes an engine to produce one with a lower nominal power rating (ie how the electronics adjusts things, or whether the engine is fitted with lower compression pistions etc.
Mike,I read on Ribnet, and the same topic was being discussed, it said that the differences in the Suzuki DF60 &DF70 are , bits to be changed, are camshaft cylinder head , throttle bodies etc , so probably not worth it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,I read on Ribnet, and the same topic was being discussed, it said that the differences in the Suzuki DF60 &DF70 are , bits to be changed, are camshaft cylinder head , throttle bodies etc , so probably not worth it.

Cheers
Hi Ian,
If those comments are true then it's very interesting, but I seem to remember someone posting on here last year that the only difference was the engine management system.
But I'm not trying to buy a cheap(er) 60hp engine and convert it to a 70. I'm exploring the idea as to whether the 60hp is a better engine for my purposes. Yamaha used to make a 1200cc motorbike that produced much less power than their equivalent race bikes, but was set up as an absolute dream touring bike. My point is that perhaps the 60hp is a better engine for touring/fishing than the 70 which may be better for (say) racing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've followed this question over the last year or two - the consensus is that for the same block, the only difference is in the electronic engine management system, everything else is supposed to be identical. However, I've never been able to find out what variables have been changed by the electronics to reduce the power output. The options are limited; fuel flow, ignition timing, anything else? The question is still open, as far as I'm concerned, as to the reletive merits of a detuned engine vs running the higher HP version at lower revs.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've followed this question over the last year or two - the consensus is that for the same block, the only difference is in the electronic engine management system, everything else is supposed to be identical. However, I've never been able to find out what variables have been changed by the electronics to reduce the power output. The options are limited; fuel flow, ignition timing, anything else? The question is still open, as far as I'm concerned, as to the reletive merits of a detuned engine vs running the higher HP version at lower revs.
And there's no option on either of the suzuki websites to fire a question at their technocal; people. I have tried sending a question to their northern dealer but I'm not sure he'll know the answer even if he was prepared to.

·
Registered
890 Posts
mike this is what yamaha say the difference is between the 50 4/ and 60 4/
the 60 hp has larger exhaust and inlet valves,modified cyl head,pistons and inlet manifold.
combustion chamber changed to increase capacity,high flow/pressure oil pump,modified driveshaft to accomodate the higher output,gearbox bearings increased in size,different prop,ptt unit re-designed,
hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts