World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...

I was out at the weekend fishing for flatties, I caught a few but I had a problem with the fish swallowing the hooks. After 15 mins or so i would bring the line in and find to my surprise a fish hooked, but I never saw any significant bites on the line to signify 'time to reel in.' I changed up the size of my hook to a 1/0 but still the same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions how to resolve this? I have heard about circle hooks but am not sure how they work or whether they would resolve the problem.

It bothers me because I wouldn't normally choose to keep flatties but I ended having to bring back 4 because of this problem.

cheers,

Shad.

·
Registered
568 Posts
It can be almost impossible to stop flatties swalling the hooks sometimes - the first motion on the rod tip could be the fish taking off after sitting on the bait for a while and so it already has the hook well down. Even a good disgorger can struggle to retrieve the hook :(

I'm sure circle hooks would work (although you would have to learn not to strike) but I haven't got around to trying them myself, so can't say much more than that. I think a semi-circle would be a better compromise for flatties as you would still be able to thread a worm on, which might be difficult with a full circle.

Apart from that, try use a fine wire hook, which will pull / straighten out the hook with light pressure (hopefully not too light that you lose the fish on the way in).

PS - Mike Sr article on circle hooks : http://www.worldseafishing.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=123&Itemid=11

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had similar problems and found it almost impossible to get the hooks out even through the gills. The problem was made worse by using a shedfull of beads. Apart from the fact the fish probably sucked them all down as if using a straw it meant I couldn't use a disgorger. Stopped using beads then. But,,,,, there was some fishing prog on a while ago where an expert Eel angler showed how he solved the problem. Can't remember what exactly the material he used was but it appeared to be a thin piece of plastic tubing or rubber covered wire. About an inch or so long which was tied into the hook knot around the eye so that it sat at 90 degrees to the hook. This way the fish is prevented from swallowing anything past the 'stop'. Will be trying this method next time I go for Flatties. Hope it helps. Better still, hope it works

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
we all have this problem-at least those of you who actually catch anything-Blueskip posted a while ago about a technique he's developed involving long nose pliers and things - perhaps if we ask him nicely he'll post again?

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
RayDavies said:
I've had similar problems and found it almost impossible to get the hooks out even through the gills. The problem was made worse by using a shedfull of beads. Apart from the fact the fish probably sucked them all down as if using a straw it meant I couldn't use a disgorger. Stopped using beads then. But,,,,, there was some fishing prog on a while ago where an expert Eel angler showed how he solved the problem. Can't remember what exactly the material he used was but it appeared to be a thin piece of plastic tubing or rubber covered wire. About an inch or so long which was tied into the hook knot around the eye so that it sat at 90 degrees to the hook. This way the fish is prevented from swallowing anything past the 'stop'. Will be trying this method next time I go for Flatties. Hope it helps. Better still, hope it works
That sounds well worth a try! I have this problem up here with undersized turbot which will swallow quite large baits - will need a longish bit of wire as they have huge mouths, even the tiddlers!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Fans! Always glad to repeat anything that helps to conserve, to painlessly remove deep hooks from flatties!
(a) You need a pair of artery forceps, which you slide through the gill cover (over the top of the gills obviously) until they come out of the mouth.
(b) Grip the trace line in the artery forceps & GENTLY pull it back out through the gill cover, you now have a loop of line coming out of the gill cover. Pull on the line GENTLY BUT FIRMLY, & the hook will do a 180 degree turn in the fishes mouth, & the EYE of the hook will now be sticking out of the fishes gill cover.
(c) Insert the artery forceps into the fishes mouth, get hold of the bend of the hook (which is now facing the mouth) & remove the hook as gently as possible.
This will mean that 95% of your deep hooked flatties will swim off no worse for wear, the more you practice it the easier it becomes.
It is important to see which side of the gill rakers the hookpoint is, & come in from that side of the gills, (either from on top or from belly side), if you dont get it right first time dont be afraid to keep on trying, when you first do it succesfully & the fish plunges back down without that tell-tale blood spurt you feel good.
blueskip

·
Registered
63 Posts
blueskip said:
Fans! Always glad to repeat anything that helps to conserve, to painlessly remove deep hooks from flatties!
(a) You need a pair of artery forceps, which you slide through the gill cover (over the top of the gills obviously) until they come out of the mouth.
(b) Grip the trace line in the artery forceps & GENTLY pull it back out through the gill cover, you now have a loop of line coming out of the gill cover. Pull on the line GENTLY BUT FIRMLY, & the hook will do a 180 degree turn in the fishes mouth, & the EYE of the hook will now be sticking out of the fishes gill cover.
(c) Insert the artery forceps into the fishes mouth, get hold of the bend of the hook (which is now facing the mouth) & remove the hook as gently as possible.
This will mean that 95% of your deep hooked flatties will swim off no worse for wear, the more you practice it the easier it becomes.
It is important to see which side of the gill rakers the hookpoint is, & come in from that side of the gills, (either from on top or from belly side), if you dont get it right first time dont be afraid to keep on trying, when you first do it succesfully & the fish plunges back down without that tell-tale blood spurt you feel good.
blueskip
Blueskip demonstrated this to me this aft. He unhooked a dab which had taken the hook very deep; normally it would have been injured and then died after the unhooking process. Instead it swam away cleanly.

It really does work - so please use this tip to save needlessly killing some flatties

Cheers - Jack

J

·
0 Posts
erm, can u explain the tubing fing rnd the hook again plz as i really dnt wanna kill a fish as im not gna eat it i conserve the fish population

·
Registered
325 Posts
Blueskip

That was fascinating. It ranks equally with my old dad who used to operate on chickens who were crop bound.

Fred

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Jake-could you do me and perhaps a few more of us old f**rts a favour and talk English please mate? :confused:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Fred, I'm not even going there, if I ask what crop bound means, cos if I did, it would result in Swelleyman telling us how to cure "Swelley Fever", Poacher would come up with a solution to the "Ranie Runs", Lendusaworm would have a cure for "Bendricks Blight", & it would end up with 3 pages of lunacy as some of these threads do. I will probably send you a P.M. about crop bound to satisfy my curiosity!
blueskip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts