World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening my fellow members,
After a busy weekend in work and with a day off today, and something shining way up high in the sky i decided to plan a trip out, so after checking tides and wind direction and speed i made my way down to swansea bay.. so arrived down by the observeratry for 10.30am.... and set up a 1 rod set up with a 1 up 1 down scratching rig and a doughnut lead! And my baits for the session were frozen blacks and a couple of mackerel fillets for tipping off! So made my way down to the water and set up my stand on a narrow sand bank sandwhiched between two rocky gulleys. To be fair guys it was stunning there, blue skys, light westerly winds, the sound of shells washing up the shore line with the waves, it really was lovely . .

ForumRunner_20140211_192927.jpg

ForumRunner_20140211_193121.jpg

ForumRunner_20140211_194108.jpg

So anyway, baited up and sent it out. I then noticed the bay was plastered with oyster shells and others... they were everywhere.

ForumRunner_20140211_193621.jpg

The recent rough weather must have ruined the beds!!
Anyway, the first hour resaulted in nothing at all, but then my first "tap tap" so my nerves were in bits as i was on for a hat trick of blanks... so didnt rush, waited . . Waited.... then struck and fish on, moments later i landed a little codling!!

ForumRunner_20140211_195140.jpg

Finally a fish... the following 2 hours resaulted in another 2 codlings. Very quiet if im honest, so collected some shells as my boy loves them

ForumRunner_20140211_195949.jpg

but then at midday it all changed, the skys went grey, and the winds almost doubled in streanth, making the conditions uncomfortable,
Then my worst nitemare came true, the wind tipped my rod reel and stand into the water!! TAMPING!!! Then at 13.30pm i was joined by my good mate paul and we quickly agreed to a change of venue as the wind was very strong now. And id struggled to catch, so we packed up and made our way to knab rock! With top tide at 16.20pm. We arrived there at 14.30pm! And we had the whole promanade to ourselfs,

ForumRunner_20140211_200755.jpg

So we set up, paul had 2 rods. 1 with pennel at distance, and 1 in closer! And i also used 2 rods as we were more sheltered here.. my first rod was just beond the railings, baited with blacks tipped with mackie, and my other rod was at distance with a size 3 pulley pennel baited with fresh cockle, clam and blacks cocktail...

ForumRunner_20140211_201438.jpg

But in all honesty, i had a nitemare at knab!! But paul on the other hand ... codling after codling after codling!! I think he ended up with 15 codling!! Countless double shots,
Then i finally had a bite, and it ended up being a seriously annoyed velvet crab!!

ForumRunner_20140211_202329.jpg

So returned him and sat in the car thinking what im doing wrong!! But i guess that this is fishing!! Whether i catch or not i still adore sea fishing!!
Untill next time guys.
Wrighty!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Good evening my fellow members,
After a busy weekend in work and with a day off today, and something shining way up high in the sky i decided to plan a trip out, so after checking tides and wind direction and speed i made my way down to swansea bay.. so arrived down by the observeratry for 10.30am.... and set up a 1 rod set up with a 1 up 1 down scratching rig and a doughnut lead! And my baits for the session were frozen blacks and a couple of mackerel fillets for tipping off! So made my way down to the water and set up my stand on a narrow sand bank sandwhiched between two rocky gulleys. To be fair guys it was stunning there, blue skys, light westerly winds, the sound of shells washing up the shore line with the waves, it really was lovely . .

View attachment 195073

View attachment 195076

View attachment 195081

So anyway, baited up and sent it out. I then noticed the bay was plastered with oyster shells and others... they were everywhere.

View attachment 195079

The recent rough weather must have ruined the beds!!
Anyway, the first hour resaulted in nothing at all, but then my first "tap tap" so my nerves were in bits as i was on for a hat trick of blanks... so didnt rush, waited . . Waited.... then struck and fish on, moments later i landed a little codling!!

View attachment 195082

Finally a fish... the following 2 hours resaulted in another 2 codlings. Very quiet if im honest, so collected some shells as my boy loves them

View attachment 195089

but then at midday it all changed, the skys went grey, and the winds almost doubled in streanth, making the conditions uncomfortable,
Then my worst nitemare came true, the wind tipped my rod reel and stand into the water!! TAMPING!!! Then at 13.30pm i was joined by my good mate paul and we quickly agreed to a change of venue as the wind was very strong now. And id struggled to catch, so we packed up and made our way to knab rock! With top tide at 16.20pm. We arrived there at 14.30pm! And we had the whole promanade to ourselfs,

View attachment 195091

So we set up, paul had 2 rods. 1 with pennel at distance, and 1 in closer! And i also used 2 rods as we were more sheltered here.. my first rod was just beond the railings, baited with blacks tipped with mackie, and my other rod was at distance with a size 3 pulley pennel baited with fresh cockle, clam and blacks cocktail...

View attachment 195092

But in all honesty, i had a nitemare at knab!! But paul on the other hand ... codling after codling after codling!! I think he ended up with 15 codling!! Countless double shots,
Then i finally had a bite, and it ended up being a seriously annoyed velvet crab!!

View attachment 195095

So returned him and sat in the car thinking what im doing wrong!! But i guess that this is fishing!! Whether i catch or not i still adore sea fishing!!
Untill next time guys.
Wrighty!!
excellent report and pics m8, looks like an edible (brown) crab to me m8.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Great fishing reports my friends! Paul! what is the trick to catch many codling? i think you hid it from Wrighty but if i joined you next i will get it! Weather was sunny but cold and windy. Did you guys caught some hail stones as well? khan

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Hi Kahn, size 1 fine wire hooks with SMALL mack strips, but sandeel brought a few in.
Other rod had a 3/0 and took a couple.
Mainly smaller than a couple of weeks ago but plentiful.
Cheers Wrighty for report and pics, working shifts has it's benefits : )
No other species unlike last times tally of 4.

Spring is coming soon, can't wait.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Kahn, size 1 fine wire hooks with SMALL mack strips, but sandeel brought a few in.
Other rod had a 3/0 and took a couple.
Mainly smaller than a couple of weeks ago but plentiful.
Cheers Wrighty for report and pics, working shifts has it's benefits : )
No other species unlike last times tally of 4.

Spring is coming soon, can't wait.
No problem paul.... your fishing well my friend.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Thanks Paul for sharing your tactics! I was thinking about your magical thin Mackerel strips (made with sharp knife) make a great bait for small codlins and off course you are in great form. Can't wait more for Bass to show now! Wrighty! please text me as well if you fish Swansea beach or Knab rock again, I might join if the weather is not too rough. I am sure you will be in great form when Aberavon beach started fishing well.thanks. khan:hammer:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Paul for sharing your tactics! I was thinking about your magical thin Mackerel strips (made with sharp knife) make a great bait for small codlins and off course you are in great form. Can't wait more for Bass to show now! Wrighty! please text me as well if you fish Swansea beach or Knab rock again, I might join if the weather is not too rough. I am sure you will be in great form when Aberavon beach started fishing well.thanks. khan:hammer:
Of coarse i will khan, dim problem... cant wait for summer. Im missing the gg,s!!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
You are a brave man to contemplate going out in this weather, & luckily you caught a few fish as a reward. I thought about it, but with the wind forecast to gust up to 90mph I had to use the good weather to brace my fenceposts to stop my fence hang gliding, well done on your bravery :1a:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts