World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i have been planning a trip out on my boat from swansea for the weekend, but i have been told that there is no point if the wind is blowing to the east, as the cod won't bite, does anyone know if this is true and if so why? cheers lads and tight lines all!!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Think it's all to do with where you fish mate with regards to wind direction afecting the fishing. Westaly winds blowing to the East, blow right up the channel making for a lumpy sea for Nash down to swansea. Where as the other side of Nash to Cardiff can be quite calm and vise versa for Eastalys to a certain degree, depending on wind strength. I've caught fish in all winds personaly, unless it's howling !!! (Safer to stay at home then mate !!!!) Well thats what I've been told by an ex welsh international boat angler. Must be true? Any one else Know of any other reasons ???????

B

·
0 Posts
Hi,

When the wind is in the West
That is when the fish come best
When the wind is in the East
That is when the fish come least

When the wind is in the South
The fish take it right into their mouth
When the wind is in the North
A wily man goes not forth!

Something to do with high and low pressure possibly? ;)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers lads i suppose that does make sense, i'll look into it over the winter and see if i find any pattens or anything. pressure is one thing i have overlooked cos it does affect sea state. so which area do you fish lads?

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Been through this one very often, & from the shore for whiting etc, it seems to make little difference, but it does seem to affect fish in deeper water, :huh: Even the trawlers and gill-netters (spit) find it tough in an easterly (hooray) :D
I actually had my best catch of cod out of Swansea on a N.E. wind, had to shelter under the pier in the morning during the flood (wind over tide) but at low water it went fishable, & as it ebbed (wind with tide) it was very comfortable. My brother & I boated 11 cod over 10lb, & in the last 20 mins before we had to go in, we had 76lb of Cod, 28, 26, 16, 6, never done it since :angry:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Member of the "Porthcawl Power Boat and Ski Club", launch from Newton by means of private tractors at any state of the tide, except for low water on the big springs. All depends on time of year, what species your after and how much juice is on board!!
Got a few good marks within 30 min's of steaming, so dont tend to venture to far unless those marks arn't producing the goods.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i have a hardy 20 fisher with a 75 hp outboard, she holds almost 100 liters of fuel on board. the engine will give the boat 22knt flat out or 14 to cruise. most places from porthcawl too worms head are within range, i normaly fish the gower marks during the summer for bass, black bream, triggers etc and then normaly around swansea bay in the winter for cod, i've seen people catching double figure cod for the yellow boys that mark the out fall from the sewage plant, but i can't only manage cod to 8 pound, i was wondering if porthcawl or orgmore where worth the fuel for me as i keep the boat in swansea. if anyone can help i would be gratefull? cheers chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts