World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, wondering if any of you kind gents can give me an insight into catching tope from a boat in the bay? never caught one before and have read the articles on this site but am looking for advice for what areas of the bay might produce and also times of year the fish are around in numbers, what baits to try (other than the obvious mackeral) and techniques (downtide, uptide and also if live baiting for them is a good idea or possible? (pout, mackeral or whiting etc) by the way I am looking to catch from my boat instead of chartering, I have an admiralty map of swansea and the gower so any info on roughly where they might be found is much appreciated!

also just to state I have no intention of taking them home just purely sport fishing. I will also post this in the boat fishing section just in case!

thanks in advance
spike

·
Registered
705 Posts
spoke with someone the other day who told me he'd had about a dozen up to 35lbs off langland bay the middle of last week. Presumably on mackerel but he didn't say what state of tide.
Hope it helps [& good luck}

G

·
hi all, wondering if any of you kind gents can give me an insight into catching tope from a boat in the bay? never caught one before and have read the articles on this site but am looking for advice for what areas of the bay might produce and also times of year the fish are around in numbers, what baits to try (other than the obvious mackeral) and techniques (downtide, uptide and also if live baiting for them is a good idea or possible? (pout, mackeral or whiting etc) by the way I am looking to catch from my boat instead of chartering, I have an admiralty map of swansea and the gower so any info on roughly where they might be found is much appreciated!

also just to state I have no intention of taking them home just purely sport fishing. I will also post this in the boat fishing section just in case!

thanks in advance
spike
oxwich point mate about half a mile out:)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just to agree with what has been already said, Oxwich point, on your charts look for the telegraph cables running from the point and fish on top of these. The small electric current seems to attract them, and they tend to run up and down these lines quite a bit! Mackerel flapper and good strong mono, 100lb bs, to the hook to stop chaffing the line. Don't like wire traces, they tangle and kink! If you can get them, chunks of silver eel make a good bait.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys thats top info and just what I was looking for! will let you know how I get on, get my boat back in the water this weekend after servicing so.....

thanks again
spike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Out at oxwich. If you can get live mackerel the better.

The tope feed on the whiting that live at the bottom at that mark. You can also put a small piece of mackerel and fish for whiting and use them live if no mackerel about.

A good ruddy duddy bag attached to the anchour helps keep the tope there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts