World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody got any reports on the swigg or surrounding areas for codling 1st year winter fishing on my own boat had some good luck on the bass and bream hoping to see the year out with some codling!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
poacher,thanks for the welcome your right it is a good site i,ve picked up a few tips already and i,ve only been online a few days! i do most of my fishing off the rocks and beaches of the gower, this is my first proper year afloat and ive only been out a few times this year due to work but its been pretty good catch wise this year as opposed to last year. :blink:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
yes m8 as we all no last year was terrible, but this year seems 2 b going the way we want, and i mean seems 2 b, whiting being bigger, codling showing at different venues, not a load as yet , but it has started better than last year already, i didnt have a cod last year, but had 3 last week, the difference has shown, at least 2 me anyway.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
S.E. of the S.W.I.G.G. ALWAYS fishes well in the winter, on the BIG tides, 2hrs either side of H.W. & L.W. are good, the middle flood & ebb on big tides is like trying to fish from a moving car! :angry:
I like the 36/37ft tides you can fish all the way through the tide & always be in with a chance.
I have noticed that if you catch blin (pout) at H.W. or L.W. you stand more chance of a cod when the run starts, than you do if you catch whiting at H.W. & L.W. ;) maybe the cod follow the blin shoals to feed, I have had several large cod by putting a heavy lead straight down with a pennel rig, the difference being that the point hook is only a size1 with a bit of worm or squid, and the "floating" hook is a bare-arsed Viking 6/0, pouting grabs size1 & sits there just waiting for "El Codobes" to munch him. :D You dont get many, but the ones you get are usually BIG, & you can be uptiding at the same time with lots of lug/squid cocktail! :p
Viva la swigg! :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blue skip,thanks for the tips i shall utilise the bare arsed 6.0 rig method next weekend i,ve got a few hours available tomorrow so i,ll probably go down the estuary on the ebb til just after dark maybe machynys,i wont have enough time to sort the boat by the time the missus gets home from work to pass the baton on babysitting detail but i,ll update the page with regards to catch or no catch,Dog! :blink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts