World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to my local tackle shop yesterday to get some peelers for the first time,(frozen) when i went to open them i noticed on the packet it said they were called swimmers? are these the same as peeler or not?
as therse were very soft and soggy and horrible to bait up!

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
"peelers" as you referred to them as are common shore crabs.
Sounds like you bought velvet swimmers, which like all crab, have to peel, so you can therefore get peeler velvet swimming crabs.
However, from yr description, it sound like they have been peeled then frozen, hence theyre soft, but if theyre really mushy when thawed, then perhaps the tackle shop in question isnt freezing them properly. The freezing procedure needs to get them from fresh to frozen as soon as possible, thats why many people keep a sheet of steel(best) or glass (does the job) in the freezer prior to freezing down the crab....it speeds up the process of them freezing. Many also suggest spraying the crab with something like an upturned aerosol of air, that way you get a blast of really cold co2, which also will freeze the crab quickly.
On the flip side though, you may have just bough Vietnamese soft swimmers, which, by most accounts, seem to be vastly inferior to UK velvets.
Hope this helps :thumbs:

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"peelers" as you referred to them as are common shore crabs.
Sounds like you bought velvet swimmers, which like all crab, have to peel, so you can therefore get peeler velvet swimming crabs.
However, from yr description, it sound like they have been peeled then frozen, hence theyre soft, but if theyre really mushy when thawed, then perhaps the tackle shop in question isnt freezing them properly. The freezing procedure needs to get them from fresh to frozen as soon as possible, thats why many people keep a sheet of steel(best) or glass (does the job) in the freezer prior to freezing down the crab....it speeds up the process of them freezing. Many also suggest spraying the crab with something like an upturned aerosol of air, that way you get a blast of really cold co2, which also will freeze the crab quickly.
On the flip side though, you may have just bough Vietnamese soft swimmers, which, by most accounts, seem to be vastly inferior to UK velvets.
Hope this helps :thumbs:
yh sounds like u might be right as ive just had another look and it says "blast frozen imported swimmers"

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
yh sounds like u might be right as ive just had another look and it says "blast frozen imported swimmers"
Afraid to say you've been "had" m8, particularly if you specifically asked for peelers (I'm sure the tackle shop guy knew what you meant).
Just noticed where yr from, you might as well use Lincolnshire Peelers (if you dont know what I mean, do a search on here...all will be revealed,lol)

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Afraid to say you've been "had" m8, particularly if you specifically asked for peelers (I'm sure the tackle shop guy knew what you meant).
Just noticed where yr from, you might as well use Lincolnshire Peelers (if you dont know what I mean, do a search on here...all will be revealed,lol)
:victory: thanks m8 **** find anything on here but did a google and got it, looks good ill have to give them a try!
thanks

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds great have you ever used any of there products?

·
Banned
15,040 Posts

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Dont feel stupid m8, I daresay plenty of people have tried them. They are a better bait for anglers rather than fish though (well, that seems to be the general consensus (sp?) )
lol

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Those swimmers you got are soft imported crab, whilst not as good as fresh peeler they WILL still catch you fish if you can't get fresh.

I know some on here will state that they don't work but I've seen them catch a fair few fish.

In fact I have a couple of trays of them in my freezer that were bought from the Chinese supermarket for a fraction of the price a tackle dealer would sell them for and they're massive, all big 3 baiters.

I reckon they'll end a few cods lives this winter :)

·
Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those swimmers you got are soft imported crab, whilst not as good as fresh peeler they WILL still catch you fish if you can't get fresh.

I know some on here will state that they don't work but I've seen them catch a fair few fish.

In fact I have a couple of trays of them in my freezer that were bought from the Chinese supermarket for a fraction of the price a tackle dealer would sell them for and they're massive, all big 3 baiters.

I reckon they'll end a few cods lives this winter :)

yeah there very soft, infact when you attempt to pull the legs off it rips half the crab, would i get away with not peeling these?:g:

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
yeah there very soft, infact when you attempt to pull the legs off it rips half the crab, would i get away with not peeling these?:g:
If they are the vietnamese softies...theyre already peeled. Just wrap 'em on as is, cut them nearly in half if theyre big enough and wrap the legs on with 'em. If you feel you must remove the legs, scissors will make a much neeter job of it than trying to pull them off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts