World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from a day fishing at one of my favourite rock marks south of Stonehaven.

The day started well with everything going to plan, sun was shining, only a light breeze, and the worm when I collected it was some of the best I have ever had from them.

Upon getting to the general location I parked the car up and had the choice of taking the long walk to the mark, or the shortcut (which some of the forum members I met at the mark the last time will remember, as I got hung up on a barbed wire fence, making me fall flat on my face, my hands full of gear so no chance of bracing my fall, and putting a reasonable gash in my napper).
Suffice to say, I chose the long walk, and it was the correct choice to make on this ocassion, or so I thought (more on this later).

Upon reaching my chosen location (which I had chosen to fish from low tide up, as normally I fish it at high water, and wanted to experiment) the conditions were perfect, and my next decision was to fish on the bottom, or to use the float (which I have never had success with here, but cannot figure out why), but given I was fishing alone, and not having a yardstick of someone else fishing with me I chose to fish the way I knew caught down there, and will leave it till another time I am fishing with someone else down there before I use the float.

Started off dropping a three boom rig close in, ragworm as bait, and was getting constant rattles, but my hook up rate was less than 20%, so I took time out for a *** and to contemplate what I was doing wrong.
It dawned on me that there was so much action going on down there that I was having problems identifying good knocks from tail nipping and bait robbing, and I was going to drop back to just a single boom rig but chose to only drop back to a twin boom rig as I wanted to experiment with two bait types on the same drop.

I knew ragworm worked here but I wanted to try out raw prawn as I had a feeling that it would be equally effective, so I baited one hook with ragworm and the other with the prawn.
Boy, was I ever wrong, after giving it an hour, having continued with getting plenty of knocks, and having increased my bite to fish landed ratio, all of the action was happening on the ragworm, the prawn remaining untouched.
Ah well, at least I know now that prawns are better off going down my throat (once cooked obviously) than they are being used as bait at this location.

Having now worked out that I would just be fishing with worm baits I then dropped down to a single boom rig, and from there on in the fish kept feeding, and I kept catching, until about 60-90 minutes from high water.
Which was just as well, as by this time I only had a couple of worms left.

Over the period I must have landed between 15 and 20 wrasse, and a handful of small coalfish/pollock (at that small size I question anyones ability to differentiate between them).

All of the above indicates that a screaming day was had, but there were a few issues that took the edge off the day for me.

After landing my first fish, and taking a piccie of it, I dropped my camera onto the rocks and managed to crack the LCD display at the back
Being as I have no viewfinder on this model from here on in I was shooting blind, not knowing whether the fish was in focus, or even in shot, and I wasn't even able to check on this as the display was wrecked.
I persevered with it for a while, but after a while I gave up on taking anymore pics, as I wasn't even sure if I was taking pics at all, or whether the camera had received even greater damage than just the display screen.
I will try and download the camera later tonight to see whether there are any usable pics, or whether I had been wasting my time.
I will try downloading the camera after having spent time looking out my insurance policies ...... lol

Once the wrasse fishing had died down I decided to spend an hour or two fishing with firetails/twintails/shads/wedges.
The way the tide was ripping through I dropped the ideas of trying the jellies as I prefer fishing them light, and with the water moving through at that time I would never have got them down deep enough, so I started lobbing a deep/slow spun wedge.

No interest for the first 30 minutes or so, but then I hooked and landed a couple of Pollock in the 1lb to 1-1/2lb range over the next 30 minutes or so.
Just as I was thinking of having to pack up (I had to be back home as "she who I had deserted for the day" ... lol, had a night out tonight, and I had to be back for 7) it felt like I had started dragging into some kelp (I was fishing over a small reef), at least that's what I thought until line started getting stripped from my reel, and the weed started heading back out to sea.
Tightening up the drag I started to give it some stick, and boy was this fish ever pulling my wire, the rod was bent over way more than I have ever had it before, and this fish was making strong lunging runs (not the head knocking of the resident cod, nor the short bursts of a wrasse).
After what seemed like an eternity I got it to the point where it was only yards out (though still hanging deep) I was looking where I could land it, as this fish clearly couldn't be winched up out of the water, I was going to have to get down to water level somehow, and then it happened.
Whilst my eye was off the ball (looking for a landing point) the fish dived into the kelp at the base of the rocks I was fishing from, not wanting to chance losing it I applied as much pressure as I dare, but it refused to budge, though I could still feel it kicking.
Standing there gutted that I was going to lose it I chose to slacken off in the hope it would try and break free itself, and for 5 minutes nothing, then all of a sudden line started getting stripped from the reel again.
Overjoyed I lent into it again, but gained back only the same amount of line it had stripped off before everything locked up solid again.
Yet again I applied as much pressure as I dared, but to no avail, so I free spooled again in the hope that it would free itself again.
10 minutes went by (which felt like an eternity) but nothing was happening, and given that I couldn't even feel it kicking this time I knew I had no option but to go for broke, and kept applying pressure until the inevitable happened, and the line sheared.

Disconsilate I sat down and replayed what had just happened in my mind.
I think when it first went into the kelp it was merely buried there, but when it moved off out of the kelp it had merely gone back out the way it went in, but by this time my line was deep in amongst the stalks, so when I lent back into it again, and gained back my line, I was merely being channeled back in to where it locked up previously, only this time one of the free hooks (the ones not in it's gob) had snagged into a thick kelp stalk, and this had allowed the fish to throw the part of the treble that was in it's gob, and it swam away to fight another day.

I am confident that it was a Pollock that I had on, and I had caught Pollock in the 5-7lb range off the boats over in Luce Bay earlier this year, and the scrap that this fish put up was well in advance of the fight that they put up.
Even allowing for "anglers exageration", I truly believe the fish that I lost would most likely have been a PB for me, and quite likely have been a holy grail, that being a double figure shore Pollock (and if not, then it must have been damned close to it.

Well, that was enough to finish me off, and given that I had now stayed longer than I should have (I could hear her nagging in my mind .... lol), I packed up, and set off for the long trudge back to the car.

What is it they say, things come in threes, and they are not wrong.
Having walked over half the distance back to the car I found out that I really had left it later than I should have before I left, as the tide had cut my way off to get back to the car (never at any point was I in danger, as although I was cut off there was never any chance of the rising tide reaching me), and I knew that by the time the water had receded far enough I would not have got home in time for her to get out for her night out, so I was left with no option but to walk back to from where once I came, and face the tortuous climb, and then the body sapping walk back through the fields in the short cut (I said it was a short cut, but only as the crow flies, not by the ease that it walks .... lol).

Absolutely exhausted I eventually got back to the car, and had to take 15 minutes out before starting the hour+ drive home as I needed to get my breath back.

So, all in all, a good days fishing, even though I lost a fish of a lifetime, and the cost of having to replace a couple of hundred quids worth of camera.

Can somebody please tell me why we continue to put ourselves through this, and have the nerve to call it enjoyable .... lol

p.s. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention.
Near the begining of my session an inflatable anchored up about 20 yards off the rocks, but directly opposite me, and a guy started puting on his scuba gear.
I envisaged the worst, and started thinking that this was likely to take a turn for the worst.
Whilst thinking this, I started calculating how many 6 ounce weights, and 3/0 trebles, I was going to have to put on my line to make his inflatable look like a Tetley's teabag, if this guy was going to start being a **** .... lol
My diplomatic genes came to the forefront however, and I chose to attempt striking up a conversation with this guy, so that we could work out a way for us both to achieve our goals.
Turned out he was a good old lad (and by old, I mean he was in his late 50's .... lol), all he wanted to do was visit some of the underwater nooks and crannies he knew of below the rocks I was fishing from to gather a lobster for his tea (he had family up from down south).
I explained where I would be casting to, likewise he explained to me the route he was hoping to take, and we set about what we were doing, whilst at the same time both being mindful of each other, and our respective locations.
After about 15 minutes he returned to his boat with a lobster that had claws the size of Mike Tyson's boxing gloves !!
It looked to be around 5 or 6 pounds in weight and I asked him if that's the only one he saw, to which he replied no, but he only took what he needed, and always left the small ones alone (his idea of small was anything under 3 pounds !!).
Thanking me for accomodating him in my area (after all, I was there first) he then proceeded to inform me of the location of a couple of small underwater caves where he normally sees wrasse congregating.
Thanking him for his advice I then waited for him to leave before giving that general area (he wasn't overly specific) a bash, and although the bites were less frequent in this location it did provide me with my two largest wrasse of the session.
Seems that there is mutual benefit to working in harmony.
I was provided with information that I would normally have found out for myself, and he didn't return back to his boat with it looking like a Tetley's teabag ..... lol

Will try later downloading any pics that the camera might have taken.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if these will upload, but at least I was able to salvage some pics from today.

Any chance you Wrasse experts out there can tell me if there are anything other than Ballan's there ?
I know there are no Cuckoo's, but it's the other, lesser types, I am unsure of.

Mucho Obrigado

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
479 Posts
nice report - sounds like a good session

also would be nice to scuba dive marks - that guys did u a real favour (even better woulda been a free 6lb lobster though!!!!)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Well done on the Ballans(look all Ballans to me),might be up there myself in the week,got my brother coming up from Bolton for some fishing.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
holey macky, did you stop for a pee, you never said :bleh: lol

some report that brill and some good fashing to ya jammy bass :thumbs:

keep up the good work

exercise is good, long way round is best to keep once head :black_eye

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
holey macky, did you stop for a pee, you never said :bleh: lol
No time to stop for a pee :bleh: , I was ower busy catching fash :fish:

I did however jist aboot sh*t masel when I got near the top of the climb to get up to the short cut, my heavily laden rucksack (I must remember to leave the kitchen sink at hame the next time) unbalancing me and just aboot hid me gan erse ower tit backwards doon the cliff again :eek:hmy:

Getting to think that this games for the young loons, as yon treck yesterday has left me cream crackered.

·
Registered
421 Posts
cracking report heid, halfcut had a good sesh there last week. I'm hopefully heading down there on tuesday to work my dexter magic ha ha

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
A very enjoyable story and so interesting to read.

You just experienced fishing in its true sense.

Sometimes we win and land the fish and at other times the fish wins.

Diplomatic fishermen are sometimes a rarity bit certainly not in this case.:1a:

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
good report mate,surely a pollack you lost, had them there to near double figure and been smashed by much bigger ones but even harder getting the big ones to shore through the kelp jungle tho. don't give up on the prawns,i used them on the boat yesterday( a 1/2kilo bag of raw kings from asda) and was well impressed,caught loads of cod,few wrasse,coalies,pollack,sea scorpion,dabs and a pouting. the prawn was preferred above fresh mackerel,squid and cuttlefish (only exception being the dabs) and they were taking the prawn whilst still frozen,soon as it hit bottom! but having said that i didn't offer a choice of ragworm!
hooked one of these scuba things in auchmithie bay years ago when i intentionally cast next to what i thought was a creel marker but it was the divers! looked angrier than a conger with pmt! anyone know the shore record for this species,looked around 180-200lb lol. can't print the tips he was recommending!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts