World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys got some new lures and as I do with all my lures I change the hooks so thought I would post a quick guide which I'm doing this for anyone who want to change the trebles on the hooks to singles.
To date I've caught good number and so far haven't lost any fish as a result of the hook coming out. I'm sure there may be times when it does happen but the I feel the benefits out weight the negatives (less hook rash and gentler on the bass being one of many)
Anyway to start with changing its important to get an appropriate hook. I have been using decoy pluggin singles and they seem to do the trick.

Other hooks are available but what your looking for in this is the eye of the hook and size to be in a position that allows the hook to sit with the keel pointing down. If you use a normal single hook it may sit parrallel which affects the action and movement.

Once you've got your look the next part is to make sure you find a size to match the treble. In this case I'm switch the hooks on a komomo II.
I've found that matching the length from the eye to the bend has produced the best gauge for hook size. The photo below shows this best.

In this case it's a size 2.
Next I take of the trebles using pliers and put on the single. I have so far found the that the best position for me is to have the middle hook with the point facing downwards and the end hook point facing upwards like so as shown below.

Anyway I hope that helps. The key I've found from trial and error is to make sure that you match the size right. Too big and it can snag on the body. Too small and doesn't hook well.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just bought a few packs of those decoys to experiment with.
Definitely worth doing. I've found a few small changes on certain lures. Sub surface stuff works well but the retrieve speed needs to be slowed a little more. On surface lures though I think it improves the WTD action and they pick up a lot less weed as well and snag less which is a big bonus!

·
Registered
13,021 Posts
I experimented in fresh and found lure action was altered considerably on the lures I changed.
A treble acts as a keel, keeping it stable, so I found they rolled more.
To my eyes, did not look as 'fish like'.

Rear worked fine.

That said, I like your top water observations, and going to change a few hooks on those.

·
Registered
Too many....
63 Posts
I would agree with lipslicker in that trebles (especially large ones) can act as mini keels but with a single(s) lure action can change considerable.

This was a lure (Duel Adagio) which I felt was very lifeless when mounted with two trebles and spent several years lying unused in the box of doom but trying it with a single made it come alive and is one of my first choice lures for certain scenarios now...

That said, I´have tried on some others and it has made no difference..!
Paul

·
Registered
917 Posts
Vmc or seaspin hooks produce better results. Theyre heavier than decoy patterns and weigh closer to the trebles coming off. and work on every lure i use from feed shallows through too super strike little necks and needles. Many lures are very very un fishlike LL and have been Putting fish on the beach for 50yrs plus.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
66,731 Posts
Vmc or seaspin hooks produce better results. Theyre heavier than decoy patterns and weigh closer to the trebles coming off. and work on every lure i use from feed shallows through too super strike little necks and needles. Many lures are very very un fishlike LL and have been Putting fish on the beach for 50yrs plus.
Where would you source the Seaspin singles from mate ?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I experimented in fresh and found lure action was altered considerably on the lures I changed.
A treble acts as a keel, keeping it stable, so I found they rolled more.
To my eyes, did not look as 'fish like'.

Rear worked fine.

That said, I like your top water observations, and going to change a few hooks on those.
Agree. I found the same but corrected the change with a little lead wire wrapped around the shank of the 'keel' single.

SCG

·
66,731 Posts
Agree. I found the same but corrected the change with a little lead wire wrapped around the shank of the 'keel' single.

SCG
Love lead wire.........so useful for lure fishing.

Reactions: STUART WHITING

·
66,731 Posts
My last couple of packs came from ebay. Looking now it seems there's a bit of a shortage. Vmc from agm also very strong n sharp and heavier gauge than most.
I have been using the VMC ones and a few Decoy for several years now but wondered about the Seaspin ones.

·
66,731 Posts
have been (experimenting) useing Verivas circles with the barbs crushed, not many caught but all "takes" landed.
Like the idea of that....I have used Siwash hooks as well on a lure but not to good as the shanks were to long I think.
Like a single on the tail hook with the barb teased down almost flat.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've used the Seaspin hooks, very strong, but the silver finish is easily scratched when fitting on the split ring, I've had them rust at the eye after one use (and I rinse them off). Be careful with the split rings and no problem.

·
66,731 Posts
I've used the Seaspin hooks, very strong, but the silver finish is easily scratched when fitting on the split ring, I've had them rust at the eye after one use (and I rinse them off). Be careful with the split rings and no problem.
Great and valuable info Steve,not had the issue with VMC but when you tease the barb down the coating does sometimes crack and they corrode a little bit if you don't wash them properly.

Reactions: STUART WHITING

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I really like those Seaspin singles - sure, they rust up a bit after a while, but it's minimal, and I have tried a few other singles that rusted up really badly in a short space of time.

Had an interesting situation with singles the other day over in Ireland - we were hammering fish off the top, so for me that's the time to start messing around with different lures and see if I can catch on something else.

Clipped on the little IMA Calm 110 which I had rigged with a small single on the front and then because it's a small lure, I had put a small Cox and Rawle size 4 single barbless hook on the rear - I counted six times when bass hit the lure but didn't hook up. Now I'm doing my nut! I then took that small single hook off, took a Seaspin Gamu SW size 1 single off another lure I had in the box and put it on the IMA Calm - and first cast I go and hook the first bass that hit the lure. Happened on the next cast as well. Taught me a valuable lesson - don't go too small on the singles............

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.