World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a thread on dangerous leads running on the casting forum, but these leads deffinately don't come under that section.

I've just been sorting out some gear for bass/flattie fishing. I've picked up one of my leads (a carp lead bought from a tackle shop in Bridlington) and the swivel has come away in my hand:

Thanks God that I didn't try casting with it. The swivels are seriously sub standard.

I've now removed all of the swivels after a quick strength test with a pair of pliers. A further 2 came away far too easily!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Thats not good at all Mike, good job you found out before someone got hurt mate.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I bought some watch leads from a shop which had swivels on. They snapped just pulling them by hand aswell, very poor quality swivel used again. I still buy them though and just remove the swivel with a set of pliers.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Ah my favourite shop,I thought it might have been:)

Gary at Tristar has just got a load of carp leads like those,I think they are Fox ones,Id have a look in there if I was you mate.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
maybe becuase they are carp leads, they are not ment for salt water? so they corode eaily?? or have you not used them?

I dont think it would make much difference mate,I dont think they make swivels out of different materials just for sea fishing,they will just be cheap rubbish.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3 were new and only one that gave had been used before. None had any visable sign of corrosion. The pliers cut through the wire like it wasn't there - soft, crap, bargain basement swivels.:uhuh:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know the shop! They are pricey for what they are, and I'd expect a bit more by the way of quality - and safety! Deffinately be having a word with the owner next time I see him.

Will post it on Mackys site shortly just to warn people.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I think we should perhaps not be so polite in future and go down the 'Name and Shame' route. Although another matter, this weekend i was sold some crap bait, £3.50 for dead ragworms covered in that horrid vermiculite stuff is not on! The shop owner was not even honest enought to say it was 'Old bait' and he wrapped it well and put it in a bag under the other items of bait and terminal tackle we had bought off him, i did not notice as i was in a bit of a hurry. Suffice to say it has almost put me off buying bait from him and i will unwrap it in th shop to cheack it next time.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have been made aware by the owner of the shop that these leads were bought at wholesale.

As such I'd suggest that anyone who owns any leads that look like the ones photo'd checks/removes the swivels.

G

·
I have been made aware by the owner of the shop that these leads were bought at wholesale.

As such I'd suggest that anyone who owns any leads that look like the ones photo'd checks/removes the swivels.
mike they also look like the ones for sale on ebay in the hundreds :uhuh:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can see someone getting hurt!

From a safety point of view it's not critical to have a good quality swivel above a trace, but there is no room for complacency when it is attached to a lead. The wire on those swivels was so soft it was a joke.

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
I think we should perhaps not be so polite in future and go down the 'Name and Shame' route. Although another matter, this weekend i was sold some crap bait, £3.50 for dead ragworms covered in that horrid vermiculite stuff is not on! The shop owner was not even honest enought to say it was 'Old bait' and he wrapped it well and put it in a bag under the other items of bait and terminal tackle we had bought off him, i did not notice as i was in a bit of a hurry. Suffice to say it has almost put me off buying bait from him and i will unwrap it in th shop to cheack it next time.
Had the same problem with lug,i check every time now,we were on a boat trip out of Dover,got on boat out we went tackled up,got to mark unraped the bait,if i could have got hold of the owner of that shop he would have gone swimming,carp bait you bet,policy now dont trust anybody even though i had used this shop for years,lost my custom just dont understand them why do they do it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts