World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a decent t-bar/disgorger as im not happy using sergical tweezers at the moment... had a couple of deep hooks latley and lost a fish that would have otherwise been returned today.

cheers, al

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Gemini disgorger is excellent for everything except big, bulky baits, when one with a simple hook on the end is better. The Gemini can be modified in this case with a strong pair of side cutters.

I've found the cheap plastic type with a notched, tulip-shaped end to be effective as well.

Check out this pistol grip type too:

http://www.seafishingsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=346

I've never used one but they look effective and might be the best bet if you want to return fish alive.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I picked up a gemini bar from Bait & Tackle centre on Saturday and used it on a 2lb+ eel yesterday, simple to use and no slime on any part of me or my clothing, well worth the price of a couple of packs of bait.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Can anyone recommend a decent t-bar/disgorger as im not happy using sergical tweezers at the moment... had a couple of deep hooks latley and lost a fish that would have otherwise been returned today.

cheers, al
a 'pure' T-bar can't do fish which are very deeply hooked, you need a "pusher" type (and the Gemini can be used to push, plus some of Stainless Steve's T-bars have a u bend added which has the open end facing down the fish's throat so you can push with it)

HOWEVER if you have to push a hook free, and it doesn't come out very easily indeed (in fact it has to be barbless or micro-micro-micro-barbed to come out that easily) the prognosis for the fish is not very good. even if it swims away.
And the same is true for pulling fine wire hooks out of flatfish by them springing half-open.

If you want the fish to survive, it will usually be best to cut the trace unless you see the hook almost fall out from down the throat.
Plus , if you cut the trace and lose the hook the fish will be handled for a much shorter time.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yes cut th trace and tie another! Small price to pay for a cracking fight it put up!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
deep hooked fish are best left with the hook ,you do a lot of dammage getting one out , as for disgorgers locking surgical forceps are a lot easier to use and more precise than a t bar that just rips the hook out under the weight of the fish
they take up less room in your bag aswell in fact clip them on your shirt sleeve
and they are always to hand use them like a t bar if you want lock em off and lift the line same difference

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks lads... interesting points by all :)

the hooks being used where owner cutting points and very chunky so cutting the trace would have probably lead to a slow death before the hook rotted or freed its-self.

i often cut thinner hooks if its causing difficulty getting out. need something to take the hook back gently and quickly, just dont want to make a habit of killing something i normally would'nt.

the stainless steve and the gemini will go in the bag with the tweezers, should cover all angles and quickly.

anyone have more details of the stainless? Edit: cheers terry.f, just noticed the link.

al :thumbs:

·
Registered
425 Posts

cheers, al
try this on ebay, i just bought one item number: 320578681885

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts