World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been diverted to this site on another matter I seen this -

T-bar

I can understand how the bottom one will work especially if you use the push inwards to unhook.

However the top one has me lost. The shape suggests that it can only catch the hook behind the bend and drive it in further or rip the fishes mouth apart.

Someone needs to correct me on this, of this I am sure.

-------

Ahhh unless It is used in reverse, as in upside down to release a very gently lip hooked or thereabouts fish.

If so then the other one has all advantages?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Having been diverted to this site on another matter I seen this -

T-bar

I can understand how the bottom one will work especially if you use the push inwards to unhook.

However the top one has me lost. The shape suggests that it can only catch the hook behind the bend and drive it in further or rip the fishes mouth apart.

Someone needs to correct me on this, of this I am sure.

-------

Ahhh unless It is used in reverse, as in upside down to release a very gently lip hooked or thereabouts fish.

If so then the other one has all advantages?
Hi Puddlesplasher.
The Heavier the fish the easier that it is to unhook,for as you lift the Tee Bar you pull the hook length down whilst keeping it tight....

You Sussed out the Alderney Method yet?
KB.

·
Registered
179 Posts
T-bars or the Gemini 1 are the best things invented great for unhooking doggies,spurrys,conger infact most things.

I would be lost with out mine

The way the top 1 works is put the hook of the t-bar down to the bend of the hook, hold the hook length down and lift the fish/hook up with the t-bar give it a wee shake and fish comes of the hook

kev

·
Registered
961 Posts
I firmly believe every one should carry one and more importantly learn to use one, especially boat anglers ...

For fish care they are exceptional because they get rid of the need to even touch the fish, The bit that probably does the most damage to them.

I spent a day on an individual trip yesterday and went out of my way, to show people the beauty of the T bar, if I see them struggling. Well worth it :) I reckon a couple more converted and will be off to get one :)

Once you understand the principle, its a joy to use IMO :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't even have to bring the fish into the boat using the t-bar, have t-barred off tope at the side of the boat without ever harming the fish in trying to hoist them aboard, one of those genuinely useful gadgets.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I carry a Tee Bar but for smaller fish which are deep-hooked there's nothing to beat the "Valley Disgorger" which I've now been using for 25 years. No other disgorger will remove hooks from deeply hooked fish as efficiently and give the fish the best chance of survival. I keep pushing these because the are a great aid to catch and release.

It is now manufactured by a Dutch guy who recognised their unique advantage. You can find them on the following web site. The large size is best for sea fishing. There's a slight knack to using them but when mastered it you won't fish without one.

http://www.trfishing.nl

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Valley Disgorger now called the Fast Hook Release from trfishing looks to be the best disgorger on the market at the moment. It is the only disgorger that is able to release fish unharmed. The website http://www.trfishing.nl/en/ now even has an English translation and orders can be paid by PayPal.

Rob

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
A simple U bend T-Bar is the best thing ever for getting fish off the hooks with minimal damage, and also excellent for not touching fish when gathering live baits. I've found the simple stainless ones to be the best, although they do have one draw back. I've lost at least half a dozen dropping them off structures!!

They do take a little bit of getting used to, but the trick is to slide up to the hook bend, and pull the hooklink taught downwards, below the hook and fish. This in effect forces the hook to come out exactly where it entered, and so removes the hook with minimal damage. About as useful as camel dung for deep hooked fish, however.

·
Registered
12,909 Posts
Save a few quid, especially for mackie bashing with barbed hooks. Bit of stainless welding wire. Bend up and back down through a drilled hole in a bit of dowel (or in this case rod blank) then wrap with self amalgamting tape, Simples !

The bigger one is 8mm stainless and welded , great for sharks etc again with crushed barb hooks.

Attachments

G

·
The Valley Disgorger now called the Fast Hook Release from trfishing looks to be the best disgorger on the market at the moment. It is the only disgorger that is able to release fish unharmed. The website http://www.trfishing.nl/en/ now even has an English translation and orders can be paid by PayPal.

Rob
yep got one good for when the dabs or doggies swallow the hook ..5sec job done

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flearider, I never go fishing without my Fast Hook Release and so do a lot of my fishing friends, and indead within 5 sec the fish is off the hook again, and unharmed without touching it!

Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts