World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posting this in the scotland forum as it is of local interest..............

hi all.

im in the process of starting a wee fishing club in our local area for kids who are interested in fishing but never had a chance to try it , most of us on here have kids , i have 2 and they are lucky enough that i want to involve them in our sport , some kids are not so lucky .

i have found myself recently having a couple of days spare time on my hands and am in the process of setting up a non profit (mostly funded by myself) fishing club for youngsters in my area.

hopefully i will secure a room in our local community centre for one night weekly where we will chat , make rigs, repair rods and tackle etc and plan some trips .

any help from yous guys would be appreciated , im looking for any old rods , reels , lures , feathers , line hooks , rig making stuff , also any fishing related literature, also if any of yous guys have any outgrown kids fishing clothing etc , all donations welcome .

any local members who wish to donate some of their spare time for this project please let me know.

if you have any old unwanted stuff , no matter how knackered it is please pm me with details .

your donations will go to good use .

thanks

al

·
Registered
440 Posts
ive got some spare gear , kids are welcome to it

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers maxie , please pm me with details .

al

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Al,

Brilliant idea big chap. I'll give you a boat reel (brand new in box), a couple of fixed spool reels, a boat rod, a tripod, a couple of books, boat fishing video and a pile of magazines to start with. I should also be able to come up with some rigs and terminal tackle. I'll give you a shout next weekend.

Have a look at the council for some local grants too? If you can raise some money yourself (as a group) for a specific project, "sportsmatch" will match it. Lottery "awards for all" are available too?

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
you can have my two tdss130 daiwas al they should be good for a few years yet:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
i will check out my shed tomorrow think i have a rod and tackle box few other bits
just deciding how to get it to ya

what ya gonna call it

big al's jedi school

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
got a couple of rods f/s rung nowt special but your welcome to them and a shed that is need of a good tidying out again
bound to come up with a few more bits n bobs reels, line, hooks etc

pm sent

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Al, Ive got a couple of boat rods you can have. 1x 30lb and 1x 12lb class the latter one needs a ceramic eye centre repaired but still lots of life in them m8

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
many thanks , pm's sent to all

al

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'll have a root round mate sure I'll have some bits n bobs for the next time we meet. Got some FS reels but the anti reverse has gone on both of em?
Neal
The SKink

·
Registered
323 Posts
what a cracking idea al , got a couple books and bits , if u want , shame this no little more local knows me wee boy would of been interested ,

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks graham .

im looking to get started for the start of the summer holidays .

the sooner i can get some gear for them the better .

im also looking for a couple of people with any spare time during the summer holidays who would like to accompany us on any trips , as i need more adults to supervise .

if anyone wishes to join us i think i can arrange for a free disclosure .

·
Registered
11,210 Posts
brilliant idea and well done for taking the time to help the kids.

i used to run the junior section in a local club. i managed to get local companies involved in sponsoring them.

one suplied all the kids with new titan smocks all printed up with the sponsors name and hartlepool sea angling club juniors across the back.kids were turning up to fish in there normal cloths, some in school gear and few had any waterproofs etc.

i also went to my local takle shop to try to get them to talk to there company reps for caps, badges etc for the kids.

i said to the shop manager if we bought tropthies for the kids and put them as sponsors for the kids sections on the trophies, and these would be carried on anually, would they be interestedin helping with smll prizes at the end of the year.

what i got from him was over £250 worth of gear at the end of each year.
he made sure that every kid in the club got a prize at the end of the year and the top 3 got a rod and ree. every kid got swivels, hooks, line, caps etc for free.

thanks mick [northeast tackle]

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
sorry to be the doom on this.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE INSURANCE.

kids will be kids and keeping your eyes on them will be mission impossible. in today's society the parents are quite happy to pack them of for the day without a thought but will sue at a moments notice if anything untowards happens.

sorry but someone had to say it.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi dale .

i have put a lot of thaught into this project , i am waiting on my crbs registration and will be working within the S.F.S.A. Child Protection Guidelines.

thanks for your concern's , i will not launch the club prior to having satisfied all the child protection guidelines both with the S.F.S.A. Child Protection in Sport and The Central Registered Body in Scotland (CRBS). And all volunteers will of course be disclosure checked.

a thaught on insurance , im thinking of applying for a grant to buy a second hand minibus for the project and was wondering if anyone has done anything like this before , would i have to sort out the insurance myself , and what insurance companys cater for the volunteer sector , and would they cover for public liability.

al

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks jan.

now! is there anyone in edinburgh who can get at it and we could get it passed down the line towards glasgow

al

·
Registered
185 Posts
:clap3: Sure I can come up with some bits and bobs...couple of spinning rods to be exact.....will have a rummage around and let you know what I've got when I see you m8...well done for taking the initiative...I'm sure there lots of people on here that realise how important an outdoor hobby can be when your young....good luck!!:clap3: :clap3:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts