World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm getting back into fishing I want to really improve my equipment. At the minute I'm fine for rods and reels, although I do plan on a surfblaster 8000 and a new rod at some point. I do need some advice on line though.

In the past I used a strong main line going to an American snap and when I set up 1 line with a weight and 1 line with a hook would be attached to this. After doing some research I now plan on doing this properly but want opinions / advice. I have 2 ways / options I believe of going ahead:
1. 30lb main line such as red ice, 80lb fluorocarbon shockleader, same 80lb fluoro for rig body, 20lb flouro for hook snoods, 20lb flouro for weight attachment (rotten bottom).
2. 100lb braid (cheap for bright yellow on eBay), 80lb fluoro for rig body, 20lb fluoro for hook snoods, 20lb fluoro for weight attachment (rotten bottom).

I mainly use a 5 or 6 oz weight, fishing from piers. Some of the locations I fish can be quite bad for snags and such

I plan on getting some crimps, appropriate swivels etc etc to make my own rigs and I'm happy to play around with them over time to see what size, shape hook etc that suits me best. Will probably start with pennel rigs and 2 hook flappers and go from there as I feel the need.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Now that I'm getting back into fishing I want to really improve my equipment. At the minute I'm fine for rods and reels, although I do plan on a surfblaster 8000 and a new rod at some point. I do need some advice on line though.

In the past I used a strong main line going to an American snap and when I set up 1 line with a weight and 1 line with a hook would be attached to this. After doing some research I now plan on doing this properly but want opinions / advice. I have 2 ways / options I believe of going ahead:
1. 30lb main line such as red ice, 80lb fluorocarbon shockleader, same 80lb fluoro for rig body, 20lb flouro for hook snoods, 20lb flouro for weight attachment (rotten bottom).
2. 100lb braid (cheap for bright yellow on eBay), 80lb fluoro for rig body, 20lb fluoro for hook snoods, 20lb fluoro for weight attachment (rotten bottom).

I mainly use a 5 or 6 oz weight, fishing from piers. Some of the locations I fish can be quite bad for snags and such

I plan on getting some crimps, appropriate swivels etc etc to make my own rigs and I'm happy to play around with them over time to see what size, shape hook etc that suits me best. Will probably start with pennel rigs and 2 hook flappers and go from there as I feel the need.
Hi mate,

Wouldn't go as high as 30lb for main line mate, you won't get much on the reel unless you're using a multiplier designed for rough ground like a Sl30sh. And it'll catch the tide horribly.

For general fishing over mixed ground, which sounds like what you're doing, I would go for 15-20lb mono with a 60lb shock leader, or 60lb braid straight through. There is little need to use such strong lines.

Imo fluorocarbon is pretty unnecessary for any fishing, especially for making snoods, it's expensive. I use mono for rig bodies and snoods, no problem with it. I use amnesia, very popular with most shore and boat anglers.

The breaking strain of your hook lengths really depends on what you're targeting.

Start with some pulley rigs for bigger fish and flappers for smaller fish and you won't go far wrong.

Tight lines,
Tom

Reactions: Big bait up

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Also just to add, you say using 20lb fluorocarbon for a rotten bottom, 2 issues with this - 1 being that fluoro is expensive so stupid to waste it on rotten bottoms and 2 make sure if you're using a rotten bottom of 20lb without a clip up system, that you're not casting too far. Using 20lb line straight to your lead on a busy pier is a recipe for injury unless you're just dropping down really

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
woody's bang on for me davi,certainlly amnesia for your hook snoods,why not see what the more experienced/sucessfull anglers are using then take it from there mate.Hard to advice as i don't know your venues/area..
Would of thought 18lb/20lb mainline n a leader if it is snaggy/mxd ground,wouldn't bother with the fluorocarbon though tbh...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses guys.
I guess I always like to go overboard with the weight ratings lol.
I had been intending on using a rotten bottom clip for casting so the 20lb line was only for retrieving.
My understanding was that I'd get more advantage from the fluoro being used on the terminal tackle as that's closest to the fishes bait.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm starting to lean in favor of using a braid instead on a mono, 1 reason being less knots to worry about. Would you be able to recommend a 60-70lb hi viz mono that wont break the bank or would one of eBay be suitable as Ive seem so going quite cheap.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
My understanding was that I'd get more advantage from the fluoro being used on the terminal tackle as that's closest to the fishes bait.
Not sure what you mean by that. Some people say fish can't see fluoro like they can mono, personally I think it's rubbish and in 99% of conditions won't make a difference to your catch rates.

There are two ways you can go with braid - one is 20-30lb braid attached to a braid leader, and second is a stronger breaking strain braid straight through. Some well know braids are whiplash, fireline and powerpro. Went you say there are less knots to worry about this is only the case of not using a shockleader if using braid straight through, but if you do this remember you are tying braid straight to your rig or rig clip and tying knots with braid is more difficult.

Tight lines,
Tom

Reactions: Big bait up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the not being visible when in the water was the reason I was going for the fluoro.

I'm thinking use the stronger braid and tie a permanent swivel on the end so this can be fed through the eyelets. I can then attach American snaps to my traces as a means of clipping it on to the main line swivel. I know some people aren't a fan of the American snaps but Ive never had an issue with them and I don't do power casting.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Yeah the not being visible when in the water was the reason I was going for the fluoro.

I'm thinking use the stronger braid and tie a permanent swivel on the end so this can be fed through the eyelets. I can then attach American snaps to my traces as a means of clipping it on to the main line swivel. I know some people aren't a fan of the American snaps but Ive never had an issue with them and I don't do power casting.
To be honest the lack of visibility of it is negligible in 99% of conditions, maybe fishing for flatties in gin clear water in bright sunlight on a flat calm day maybe it might make a difference, but remember people were catching fish just as much before fluoro was brought out. The whole invisibility thing is a marketing ploy imo. And most species don't care either tbh.

Go for the braid then, perfectly acceptable way to go. Make sure you buy a braid with a good reputation for shore fishing - doesn't mean it has to be expensive - otherwise you'll have more problems with it than it's worth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks woody, think that's the way I'll go then.

I'll leave the fluoro for now and maybe if I feel the need try that one day in the future.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Hi im going away from fluorocarbon as tangles too much ok for single/pennel clip do with fixed snood but up n overs/pulley/loop rigs etc grief.
amnesia is great works well has some give and pretty robust just what you need for snoods.
the ebay braid many like apoogee(sounds like a manky pooch!)50/60 ok tie swivel on end if you like then top of rigs use a gemini type clip if use other way round like many do the hook snood often gets caught over it as it comes up once released so "tangles" unless like i did use a tube of rubber etc that slide down over openning!
American snaps are creating a problem you don't need minimum swivels in casting line plus opening clips are another.
Only swivels i gen have in line are the dexter Quick release ones pretty robust use gemini type links for weight.
Swivels for hook lengths are ok as not under casting strain.
Rotten bottoms theres the Gemini or breakaway ones just clips onto lead clip so can use any premade rigs then use 12/15lb if light main line or bit heavier if using braid.
Take it your using a grinder/mangle so braid is easy and straight through is fine ive shimmy aerlex and daiwa Emblem.
One thing i will add if going rough ground/heavy with braid wouldn't go with a surf blaster go with a shimano or daiwa or can end up with broken&bent shafts as SB is long cast spool more for clean beach fishing the likes of the Aerlex/Emblem types are bullet proof and less money than the SB

Other thing you can use on end of main line is the breakaway fast links.http://www.fishermansheadquarters.com/tt_breakaway-terminal-tackle.htm
Looks like the Yanks have nicked breakaway guess given us there p ox Subway/Mcdogburgers!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the reply tournamag, especially the surf blaster info. I like the reel but I'm not going to waist 80 quid if its not suitable for my use. Looks like when I'm ready to buy another one I'll have to pop back on here for some mo0re advice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts