World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I last fished as a lad about 30 years ago and I've forgotten most of it. I am going to Broad Haven in Pemrokeshire in July and my young son wants to go fishing. Although there is a coarse fishing lake where we are staying I'd prefer to take him fishing for mackerel since I figure the tackles not as sensitive so it's easier for a youngster, it's more fun and you can eat what you catch. However, he'll probably want to do both and as the lake is on hand that seems a good idea.

Is there an entry level rod and reel combination that might cope with both? Presumably, some sort of spinning rod?

I had also thought instead of retreiving feathers we could fish off the shore rocks with a float. How big should the float be in calmish waters, what bait and do we fish at the top, middle or bottom?

All advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Hi Palmtree and welcome to the site, there are many more experienced anglers here who will probably be able to give you better advice than I can. But I think just about all your questions have been answered in various posts so have a browse aruond I'm sure you'll find what your looking for :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Palmtree

Welcome to the site

Why not look around for a 9/10ft telescopic rod for this trip with your son, Fladen make one that comes with a fixedspool reel and has a spare spool and sells for about £15.00 you could put lighter line on it for the course fishing. It wont take up much room and will take some nice fish.... unless the are over about the 20lb mark... with this outft if he does decide not to go again it hasn't cost a lot..and always means you have a rod in the car if he does?

most tackle shops sell the cigar floats with all the extras to attach to the line. the 4 or 5 inch sizes should be good enough..they will have instructions on the packet to show you how to rig it up.... you could even try adding a small mackeral feathers to it... the up and down movement of the waves will attract the mackeral to the float and even garfish... catching 2 fish at once might just make his day. a depth of about 6 feet should give you a good chance to start with and a just the depth of the float up and down

baits mainly worms.. ragworms or squid and if you catch mackeral you can use them too.

I hope this helps you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts