World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to Plymouth in a few months and want to make sure I'm ready for the terrain down there. presently I fish mainly clean beaches and I suspect my tackle might not be up to the job!

Do I need a rod specifically for rough ground? currently I use Century Tip Tornado Supermatch rods and the TT LD.

I have a couple of Penn Fathom 12 reels and a pair of 7HT Mags.

Should I just use one rod when rough ground fishing or two?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I use 2 rods but each to there own and all marks differ if its abit hairy or a hard to get to ill use 1. leave the 7ht at home lovely reels but for a clean beach really. they may cope but why risk um if you already got to rough ground reels. Again I leave the good rods at home if climbing is involved. my rt axe doubles up as a good walking stick as well as a hauling machine lol. Worth looking at if you need a rough ground rod there tough as hell often have to get up and down cliffs with um and droped all the time and still good as new and there is nothing that swims it wont bring in

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
I'm moving to Plymouth in a few months and want to make sure I'm ready for the terrain down there. presently I fish mainly clean beaches and I suspect my tackle might not be up to the job!

Do I need a rod specifically for rough ground? currently I use Century Tip Tornado Supermatch rods and the TT LD.

I have a couple of Penn Fathom 12 reels and a pair of 7HT Mags.

Should I just use one rod when rough ground fishing or two?
Just use one.
If genuinely rough ground, then I doubt those rods will suit.
If you like Century, then you have a few to choose from -
Excalibur TT, C Curve
Kompressor S, SS or WR300
TTR
TT Sport.

Yes, hear good things about the RT Ax and also Grey's Apollo Mk 1.

Buy one second hand. Usually loads out there.

You could get away with all of those, but if you want really strong tip (kelp, very stony ground) you might prefer a stiffer tip? WR300, TTR or TT
All are excellent.
If you can really knock a bait out, the TTR is about the same weight as TT, but a bit cheaper. I have the old red, but the new Black is class.
If you prefer an easier casting rod - C, Ks or TTs.

And you will need -
Rotten bottoms - pin and foam method is good, or PM me with email address and I will send you my design which, though I say so myself, are the best version I have ever seen. Easy to make, cheap and don't stay on line to snag (like bought ones do)
Pulley rig - no beads. Just the lines through eye of a Gemini. I link a 60lb weight length through Gemini, bimini and albrighted to 50lb hook length, and usually 6/0's.

Hope that helps.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
lol soz just seen the plymouth bit im in plymouth too , we do love an axcellorator down here lol. Plenty of great rods on the market, if ya can afford it a century or a zippy etc other wise the axe is very hard to beat price wise new for about 120 quid.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I love Century rods - the is the Tip Tornado Sport a rough ground rod? I also like the idea of a RT Axellerator as the TT is a bit pricey and knowing my luck I would drop it!

Leanbass - I'll be at HMS Drake / the Naval Base, how far from there are you? Maybe you could point me in the right direction for good marks?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
not far from the dockyard mate 1 good thing about plymouth is we are stuffed with marks mate. need any help just ask,no probs

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks LEANBASS - much appreciated. I'm moving mid April. Not sure where we'll be living yet but probably around Plympton

1 - 7 of 7 Posts