World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all:)
as i am new to sea fishing (only done some freshwater about 20 years ago:notworthy ) can anyone help me out?
got a beachcaster for xmas and have still got my old spinning rod which is very light . can i use my beachcaster(12') for lure/spinning or is it too ridgid?
can't really afford new tacle right now !
any advice please
thanks

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
going to move this to the tackle discussion forum.

matt

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Your beachcaster will probably be to heavy. You did not state what make it was and which casting waits it is for, if you did then people would have a better chance of helping you. The spinning rod will probably cope if you are only using light Rapal plugs and small Abu toby spinners, say up to 10-15g, it will also cast small leads to and possibly manage light surf fishing and scratching. if you give me more information then i will be in a be in a better position to help you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
In Saltstraumen, north in Norway, I use surf rods with a big fixed spool when fishing for big coalfish, cod, wolffish and halibut, and then I am using large pirks and shad jigs. Some of the caughts in my photo album is from Saltstraumen, and the tackle was surfrods and pirks/shad jigs.

Over some time this kind of fishing is heavy, so you need a couple of breaks during a days fishing. But - what tha hell! It works. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry! as i said im novice,
my rod is a mitchell star beach 200360 (200gm) and my reel is a mitchell f/s 701
does this help with advice?
spinning rod is light multi telescopic mainly used for freshwater stuff

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
That beachcaster rod wont be suitable for lighter fishing such as lures and plugs mate. It will however handle leads from around 4-8oz and bait and get you fishing. The spinning rod you have will cast smaller plugs and spinners under 15g, however will struggle to work matched withthe reel you mentioned as it is to big for the rod. You can pick up an Okuma 2500-4000 sized reel very cheaply tohugh that will work for spinning (under £15) try eBay aswell. Hopefully this will help you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts