eg. cast and retrieve,
cast and leave out

all info a help

sam

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Sam.
Depending on the casting weight of your rod,a 2 or 3 ounce plain torpedo lead is sufficient. Fish the feathers cast and retrieve and vary the speed and depth at which you are working them,until you find the fish.
The shop bought feathers usually have 6 hooks on them.
Cut them in half and attach new links...2 for 1! 6 hooks at once isnt very sporting.
Using your lure rod ,as long as it will cope with the casting weight ,gives a much better scrap,,mackerel are a good fighting fish.
Hope this helps bud,
Terry F.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

When I was on holiday in Wales earlier on in the year I searched for some suitable shaped pebbles. After weighing them I drilled a hole and hey presto some of the finest weights that I have used.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
ive been using my 8ft medium spinning rods,,with three hook feather traces..and 2oz bomb leads...

can still cast a good 50 yrds..

Good fun when u hook up with a fish..

Great laugh when theres more than one fish on the trace..terrific scrap..

gotta love them mackies :cool:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Do you not get snagged up all the time wanging out 3 hooks? I have enough trouble with one. May be doing this at the gower next week, any advice welcomed

G

·
I know someone who had 5 mackie on a five hook trace and on a bass rod that was rated 2 to 4oz. With the mackie going in different directions!

Personally I do NOT like feathering for mackeral, I prefer to float fish for them and have some fun!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
dachshund said:
Do you not get snagged up all the time wanging out 3 hooks? I have enough trouble with one. May be doing this at the gower next week, any advice welcomed
no mate,,theres usually enough distance between each hook on the trace,,so there is rarely any tangles whilst there in use..

I like feathering...i like casting and retrieving,,,watching the mackeral swarm over you trace as you reel it in...is a fab sight!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
just remember when the feathers hit the water keep reeling and pumping the rod until your hooks fill up dont stop reeling at all m8.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I meant to add Sam,
f you dont want to cut your rigs down,snip off alternate hooks on the rig.The bare feathers will still act as attractors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone all you info has been usefull. I have another small question of how to add a french boom to a rig because i have heard that you dont tie them

more info helpfull

thanks a lot

sam

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
There are some shingle beaches that naturally produce perforated pebbles. I've collected them for years to protect eyes from damage when using canes around plants in the garden. They are pushed over the ends of canes and make them safe and very obvious. You just look for a variety of hole sizes and saves loads of cash and eyes!

Never thought of using them for fishing weights although Carp anglers can now BUY such ledger weights so that the brainy/observant/magazine-reading Carp are not spooked.

Your French booms are attached using a loop of your rig line pushed into the closed 'loop' of the boom. The line can be passed around the vertical side of the Boom loop and then pulled tight ensuring that the centre of the line loop is snagged behind the bend in the vertical side. It will seem obvious if you've got one to hand. I havn't looked but I bet there's a diagram in the Rigs and Knots section on this site (White writing on Blue background up there on the left hand edge of the screen!) Just looked and there's a section called, 'Understanding Booms' with a small bit about Stainless steel booms!

The wire booms are also supposed to be good because they emit small electric currents which attract fish.
NOTE: The current is NOT sufficient to spark any Plugs you have attached - but its a good story!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
NOTE: The current is NOT sufficient to spark any Plugs you have attached - but its a good story!!!
Today 12:36 PM
But you do get the bbc weather inshore forecast.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts