World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks..........i do alot off rough ground fishing well all my fishing is done over rough ground up in north wales...

what tackle do you lot use line rigs reels leads ect too tackle the rough stuff........... be a interesting one too see if theres anybody doing it different

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I keep it as simple as possible, fewer components means less chance to snag up.

I tie a loop in the end of the rig body using a simple figure of eight knot.

I tie the hook length around the rig body with a four turn grinner and tie a power gum stop knot under that.

Push the loop through the lead link and a small nail through the loop, the lead and loop are tied together with a length of light line.

You could use an impact lead and clip the hook but that's going to get expensive so a flapping bait usually does it for me.

This rig will take a bit of force in the cast but over rocks probably best to stay fairly short anyway.

Works for me at Samphire Hoe which is very snaggy.

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Hiya Ben,
Most of the rough ground fishing is close to medium range on the marks i fish so i use 30lbish mono- straight through if its close in but a shocker on for anything else.
My reel is a Shimano Aerlex 8000
Rig wise a simple pulley rig- swivel rather than a pulley bead with built in swivel, & a home made canny link at the bottom with a 15lb weaklink.
Rick;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
P
Hiya Ben,
Most of the rough ground fishing is close to medium range on the marks i fish so i use 30lbish mono- straight through if its close in but a shocker on for anything else.
My reel is a Shimano Aerlex 8000
Rig wise a simple pulley rig- swivel rather than a pulley bead with built in swivel, & a home made canny link at the bottom with a 15lb weaklink.
Rick;)[/QUOTE

Pulley beeds are dangerous I've had one snap lead straight into a mates blank wasn't pretty I'm out after Huss and conger later and plenty off crab for the few cod we get up here. Fishing 70 ft off water night tide and the ground goes from wreck 30 too mix and heavy too sand soo plenty off swearing too be heard

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I know i buck convention;)
but i"d rather have a Paternoster:rolleyes:
In my tiny mind i think it presents the large bait better and the snood is free to swing around the trace and perhaps entice a fish with the movement as well as the scent ?
Most times i would be using half a 1lb to 2lb Coaly/Pout/Pollock for bait though,
so perhaps its the size of bait which effects my choice:p
Other than that its a Abu 10000CT, 50lb mainline, 20/25lb rotten bottom and haul them out!

Escape links, Smilers Rotters, Canny links, Rock Release, even old grip wires all make for excellent rotten bottoms and i am not stuck to just one type, Escape Links are a good job if you have to forcefully cast, Rock release for 7oz weights.

Fedstar...

Reactions: Huss Hustler

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Forkin Hell Fedders, ya could certainly pull the plug out with that!
Proper set up that is.
Rick;)
Rick i think you would wet yourself:p if you ever got the chance to see Torr Head,
and tingle at how long it takes weight and bait to sink.

Fedders...

Reactions: Huss Hustler
G

·
I know i buck convention;)
but i"d rather have a Paternoster:rolleyes:
In my tiny mind i think it presents the large bait better and the snood is free to swing around the trace and perhaps entice a fish with the movement as well as the scent ?
Most times i would be using half a 1lb to 2lb Coaly/Pout/Pollock for bait though,
so perhaps its the size of bait which effects my choice:p
Other than that its a Abu 10000CT, 50lb mainline, 20/25lb rotten bottom and haul them out!

Escape links, Smilers Rotters, Canny links, Rock Release, even old grip wires all make for excellent rotten bottoms and i am not stuck to just one type, Escape Links are a good job if you have to forcefully cast, Rock release for 7oz weights.

Fedstar...
When I first started rough ground fishing I had no real advice on how to do it, so the first 20 or so rigs I made were paternosters with a couple of feet of 15lb mono rotten bottom link. I lost hardly any gear and had some great conger hook ups. Since then I switched to a running ledger as the advice was "no matter which rig you use it will be on the uneven bottom", so I have used mainly running ledgers for years (I don't like pulleys), i have lost the standard 10 rigs a night and thought nothing of it. I think what I didn't like about the paternoster was te crimps and the possibility of them cutting through the mono rig body, but I will certainly give them another go this year and work around the crimp thing.

This is the great thing about the forum.

@OP

30lb main
100lb rig body
80 or 90lb wire hook length
6/0 hooks varivas BMX or O'shaughnessey pattern (resharpening when needed).
Running ledger, crane swivels 180lb breaking strain.
Grip leads made as cheaply as possible on a 15lb rotten bottom link.
49 strand AFW is probably the best.

·
Premium Member
16,343 Posts
I fish rough ground a lot and often as much as 300ft. depth! I use Saltist 30s loaded with 80 to 100lb braid strait through, I use a 60lb weak link with either a pulley or a running ledger. Sliders work if there isn't a ledge.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I think what I didn't like about the paternoster was te crimps and the possibility of them cutting through the mono rig body, but I will certainly give them another go this year and work around the crimp thing.
Well Chris i shall divulge some of my Paternoster rig making for ye;)
I don"t use crimps, i cut a length of 50lb mono ( 10inches) and tie a Berkley swivel of around 100 to 200lbs, then slip on a bead another Berkley a bead and then tie on another Berkley swivel to the free end, the two end swivels act as stops and the snood swivel is free to run up and down between.

Then if you want you can just tie on your rotten bottom to one free end of one of the swivels to what ever length you want the trace to be or add another piece of 50lb mono and set up your rotten bottom as usual.
This way does not hold the snood swivel in situ but allows for a bit of movement, if my explanation is not to clearo_O i can take a picture:) Just knots, beads and swivels.

Mark...

G

·
Well Kennedy i shall divulge some of my Paternoster rig making for ye;)
I don"t use crimps, i cut a length of 50lb mono ( 10inches) and tie a Berkley swivel of around 100 to 200lbs, then slip on a bead another Berkley a bead and then tie on another Berkley swivel to the free end, the two end swivels act as stops and the snood swivel is free to run up and down between.

Then if you want you can just tie on your rotten bottom to one free end of one of the swivels to what ever length you want trace to be or add another piece of 50lb mono and set up your rotten bottom as usual.
This way does not hold the snood swivel in situ but allows for a bit of movement, if my explanation is not to clearo_O i can take a picture:) Just knots, beads and swivels.

Mark...
Cheers Mark, just 5 mind ago I thought about using one of those 3 way swivels, just need to find some string ones. For some marks I can see this being a real winner and I think with the bait waving around i'll pick up more bass that way. I have been using floating beads a lot in Norway, I think they could open some doors back home too if in stealthy colours.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
C. I have been using floating beads a lot in Norway, I think they could open some doors back home too if in stealthy colours.
Floating beads for Bass!!!! in stealthy colours!!!! for Bass!!! hahahahah

Mark...:D

Attachments

G

·
Floating beads for Bass!!!! in stealthy colours!!!! for Bass!!! hahahahah

Mark...:D
I have to question why I am getting so few when fishing over rock vs undulates, congers, pout, rockling etc... It's bizarre (i am assuming they are not almost extinct), the lurers get them off the rocks a plenty. . . ;)

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Try and find a spot with two rocky/cobble beaches at either end of a long formation of broken islands and large rocks Chris, Bass will nip from one end to the other to attack Crabs during the tides, well that"s Northern Bass,
maybe Southern Bass will play a different game ?

Mark...:)

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I fish rough ground a lot and often as much as 300ft. depth! I use Saltist 30s loaded with 80 to 100lb braid strait through, I use a 60lb weak link with either a pulley or a running ledger. Sliders work if there isn't a ledge.
300ft, now your talking :) think my deepest spot is around 150ft and even at that i am threading a needle, sometimes you get to the bottom of the deep hole and sometimes not.

Mark...

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
60lb weak link :D now you're talking

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.