World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just seen a scientific report on rod and line caught broadbill, I was a little disappointed by the survival results. Many of the fish were deemed to far gone after the fight to be part of the program, so were killed and kept. Some that were tagged and released with 250 day release tags were shown to of died within 4 days or less of being tagged. These results will change the way I fish for them in a way that any we hook will be coming home for the dinner plate and we will not target them as a release species. We will also only try to land one each year.

On a more positive tagging program many will be surprised to see it comes from the spearing side of fishing. We've been evolved in research with marine scientists where we've shot and killed set species of both sexes for research, these were species which both hook and line and netting can't capture successfuly.

As can be seen in this video no fish are hooked or pulled to boats, they are also not pulled from water depths causing barotrauma.

https://www.ultimatefishing.tv/home/video/459/spear-tagging-revolution

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
I seem to remember reading a while ago that a lot of billfish are very susceptible to lactic acid build up that can prove lethal to them when played for an extended period, as I believe are some species of shark. I could be wrong though as I haven't looked at any research on it for a couple of years.

·
Registered
798 Posts
ive heard similar thoughts on lactic acid and fish not making it after prolonged fights, weve all hooked a biggie we wernt expecting, but I always try to use gear that whilst being sporting will get the fish in without prolonging the fight

1 - 3 of 3 Posts